Muffler/Exhaust Options

baseballguru44

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Most are over priced (paying for the advertising) tin cans.... and not that quiet. I would get a turbo style. They are lower restriction but not direct straight through and have lots of sound absorbing material inside. Hell I just got a physically larger muffler (wider but close to same length) with 1/4" larger inlet and exit. Used 1 7/8" to 2 1/8" adapter to mate to my pipe. On the outlet just a 450 down bend. It's quiet but it's not 'quiet' if you know what I mean.

• Like 1

Brand names mean less than the muffler style. Turbo style mufflers are one step more aggressive over most stock type mufflers. Then you venture into "lazy S" style straight through mufflers, which may be a bit loud for you. You could use an OEM resonator if you can find just the right application. For example - on the Toyota FJ60/62 LS swaps I do here in my shop, I use a 3" muffler from a 1990s Chevrolet 3500HD.

• Like 1

Free flowing and not obnoxiously loud are somewhat mutually exclusive. Restriction is the easiest cheapest way to make quiet. Less restriction = louder. Resonance chambers can cancel exhaust pulses but it works best at a set RPM. Some have sound absorbing linings inside. They can be packed with fiberglass mat and stainless 'wool' to slow the pulses down and delay their sudden explosive escape to the outside. Some have an electric actuator that will by-pass much of the exhaust around the actual muffler. It can be turned on by a throttle switch allowing a quiet muffler to be used but more free flowing (and louder) when you want it.

• Like 2