620 Instrument Bulbs A Little Help?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the truck is almost 41 yrs old, and while I have the cluster , ashtray  & glove box out..........
I don't want to have to ever pull it out again if I can keep from it. Too old for that shit !
I did finally find the #161 for .18 ea. 6 bucks shipping.
They are in Florida.
https://www.jacksonelectricsupply.com/161-Miniature-Bulb-Glass-Wedge-Base-p/b161.htm

I just went out and checked my bulb drawer, I have a lot of these type bulbs from when we swapped out fuel gauge lights to 24v ones at a place I worked at.  Most are GE or Toshiba 158 which are 3.4w, there are also some Westinghouse 194 in there as well, those are 4w and are probably from parting out stuff with them in the marker lights

I figure they are pretty much interchangeable, and I have probably about 70 or so, a lifetime supply for me.

1 hour ago, Chopper Jim said:

Not a bad deal. Napa, Car Quest, Auto Zone are priced around $2.25 ea.

Chopper Jim

The Guy at O'Reilly gave me the tip  to try the net after he saw what  I was going to have to pay for 8 bulbs. $25.00???...!!!!!!!!
They didn't have the 161 in stock. He suggested the  # 194, that is 3.78 Watt, the 161 is 2.66 Watt and is what the manual suggests.
This was the cheapest I found on the net, and in America........Most of the parts I have coming are from Thailand...ugh.....
I don't want to make the plastic any more brittle than it is with a higher watt bulb. I am glad I found the owner's manual !!!!!
Thanks Guys !

There are a lot of things about LEDs that need to be taken into consideration.  I have been experimenting with them for over 3 yrs now.
My entire house is lighted at night with 10 mm colored LEDs running off modified garden light circuits and 1.2 v cells. Oscillating Transformer Boost circuit.
If the power goes off, I can still see . I have You Tube videos  on that and LOTS of other things https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKOuKlKWSvj9sBBaz82qvRw
When you are running 12 v, they have to have a step down circuit that can fail before the LED ever does.
Step down circuits create heat, along with the LED.  The flat one in the video has 3 resistors and 8 LEDs and too thick.
I have seen several reviews and I will just stick to the time tested ones that have lasted 41 yrs.
They only have 1 part that can go bad.
Thanks
This guy butchered his vehicle because he wanted LEDs

Yeah, I took a 40 Watt LED house bulb apart and the circuit 
steps it down from 120 AC to 57 volts DC. The LEDs are in series. There is heat also...........
I wired them up parallel, a 12 v car battery would light 
the ones I didn't burn out, and they had to have a heat sink since they got so hot.

The thing lit up the whole area, but eventually I burned out all of the LED chips on the panel.
That is what experimentation is all about......
The highest power 1.2 transformer I have made puts out 165 volts . No Heat.
It will burn out the transistors in 3.7 v 10 mm RGB LEDs unless you have a few plugged in.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Today, as I was cleaning my cluster......I noticed there were 4 Toshiba Bulbs still in the instruments.
Original stuff from 1979.

My dim original dash bulbs are finally going out, one here, another there, I started carrying my weapon light in my pocket.

(without the weapon)

Some day, when I finally get around to pulling my cluster to install the tach that has been sitting in a box for 10 years, I'll change them out.

As far as BRIGHTNESS, I never keep my dash dimmer turned all the way up.
If I put in brighter bulbs, say a 194, I would just keep them turned down anyway.
I have never had any issues with my dash lights being too dim. #161, No Problem.
Thanks.

If your illuminated knobs loose the white: