Un-doing an emissions delete - need to pass emissions

Shopmyers

Hello all

I searched past topics and couldn't find a thread specific to my case. I inherited an '82 720 with an Emissions Control System that was completely removed. In my state (AZ), the truck passed the emissions test, but failed the equipment test. Essentially all of the emissions control system was removed and the three hoses coming from the canister were cut and just hanging there.

I can easily connect the fuel tank vapor vent line, but since the current setup is so drastically different from the original, I'm unsure where to route the Ported Vacuum and Canister Purge.

There are three diagrams - the original, my truck, and my proposed solution. Looking for some help from the community to ensure I do this right! I appreciate all of the feedback.

Factory Diagram:

Ycte0OR.png

My current setup

ptj2tsy.png

My Proposed setup

73KG5lM.png

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Connect the  canister purge (your Brown)  to intake vacuum

Connect the  vacuum advance (your Pink) to where it goes in the top picture, get rid of the purple.

Previous owners are idiots. Ripping all this off makes it run worse and not improve anything.

Thanks Mike. I'll add a T and connect the vacuum advance in the same way it came from the factory.

For the canister purge to intake vacuum, are you recommending to connect it to the air cleaner assembly? There are two ports under the air box assembly that are currently unused. Revised plan #2 below:

sHWg4PU.png

Find the Boost Control Unit and the AB Valve it the very first picture at the top. Both have a black hose that goes to a fitting on the intake.

BzSrEuJ.jpg

It's in this picture just under the float chamber but someone has removed the fitting and put a bolt in the hole. Like I said previous owners are idiots.

Depends on the emissions test. The Boost control works the BCDD (boost control deceleration device) It opens a small carburetor inside the carburetor to provide air and fuel when the throttle snaps closed at high speed and the vehicle decelerates. Normally the engine would go lean and misfire dumping hydrocarbons into the exhaust. By adding a small amount of air and gas it will burn off better. This is only high speed deceleration when the manifold vacuum spikes. I doubt they test for this.

• 4 weeks later...