transmission squeak

I think clymer. I have the FSMs but just grabbed one with exploded views next to each other. My thought process while going through the spare C trans was why my 4 Bs grenaded and my C trans is going flawlessly for 15 years in the same conditions. The only obvious difference between the two is the larger front countershaft bearing and rear roller bearing. I know there are a lot of other minor differences but to me one of these two is why the failures have stopped.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

I got everything back together. After replacing the countershaft bearing the "squeak" is gone. Unfortunately, now I have a whine in 5th gear. Not sure where that came from. It was not doing that before I tore it apart and I did not remove any of the gears. All I did is replace the countershaft bearing and reassemble. There may be some very slight noise in 1st-3rd gear but it is definitely whining some in 5th. It's not real loud but it's there.

Is the noise on throttle, off throttle or both? Maybe you never heard it before because the countershaft bearing was so loud...? Did you check to make sure the nut on the back of the mainshaft was tight?

A bad driveshaft joint or misalignment in the U-joints can cause the trans to make noise. Check those two things before tearing into the trans again.

Thanks for the response. I don't think that is the case. The countershaft bearing had not gotten loud enough to hear at full speed over the road noise and exhaust. It was mainly at idle and moving slowly in first and second gear that I could hear it. I did not check the nut. The transmission worked perfect other than the squeak so I figured everything else was probably okay and I didn't see any visual damage anywhere. I also don't think it shifts as smooth as it did before I took it apart.

Did you touch any of the roll pins while you had it apart? It is possible to drive them in too far to the point that they can contact moving parts. That would make the shifting hard and could also be the noise.

I can't think of anything else that could affect the noise and shifting both.

6 hours ago, powderfinger said:

I also don't think it shifts as smooth as it did before I took it apart.

Just curious.... Start it up in neutral with the clutch pedal up. Now put the clutch down, count to 3 and put into reverse. Any grinding of the gears???

I'll give that a try. Mike, the squeak has been fixed. That was the counter shaft bearing. Now I have the gear whine noise. I did not touch any of the roll pins. I am wondering if I could have somehow pushed the counter shaft back a little when I put the bearing on the shaft and now the gears aren't making perfect contact. I had to barely tap the center race of the bearing to get it on the shaft. I was extremely gentle with it so I didn't risk any damage to the bearing in the center plate of the transmission but I guess it's possible that it moved the entire shaft a small amount.