Input bearing

Dracko720

My input bearing is roaring when i spin the input shaft by hand . I was thinking its the input bearing , how hard would it be to replace it ,also the tranny is still halfway in the truck . The truck is also having trouble going into 3 gear and coming out , think it might be the syncro

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Transmission would have to come out first to see what's wrong. Usually it's the lower or counter bearing that get growly. Te counter is much easier to remove with a gear puller.

Trouble shifting can be a slave that needs bleeding or the clutch is not disengaging. Does it grind when shifting into reverse?

it has a new clutch new slave cylinder new release bearing yes it does grinds going into reverse and 1st you can feel it in the input shaft as you're spinning buying it by hand I don't have the time to be able to pull it out as I was just doing a clutch job on it and that when it started making the roat noise

Is the transmission in or out of the truck? What's half way in?

What does it drive like, that's more important. Does it growl when driving? Did it growl before this?

What caused you to change the clutch, slave and release bearing?

Grinding when shifting into reverse can be the clutch not releasing properly. This could be the clutch or it could be air trapped in the hydraulic system and it just needs bleeding.

The transmission is still in the truck sitting across the crossmember that is welded in place I cannot get it on any further without removing the front differential when driving down the road it's just in the first and second fine when you go to put it in third you have to fight to put it in I'm going to put it in the fourth you have to fight pulled out of third so you can go into 4th gear the clutch got burn up when my brother was trying to pull somebody out with my truck other than that it drives fine except for that roaring sound when you let off the clutch

Well if makes noise with clutch operation it's likely the release bearing. If the problem with third started with the damage to the clutch and you've now changed it, this fix it. Put together and take for a drive. Now is a good time to replace the transmission oil. You want 2 liters or about 2 US quarts of GL-4....NOT GL-5 Be sure what you get is safe to use with brass or copper alloys.

With new clutch installed new release brand new everything put back together driving third gears hard to get in and out of you have to literally fight with it and still makes the same noise supposed to transmission pulled clutch pulled a release bearing old pilot bearing put all new internals in it again check front of the transmission turn the shaft and makes the grinding noise

Yes it was filled with oil . So with the tranny unbolted from the motor i can get the tranny to a certian point where it sits on the front diff and the welded crossmember and wont go any further  do i have to remove the front diff to get it the rest of the way out .