What does your VIN start with?

TimmyG

I have two 720s. Both 84, built within one month of each other in late 83. I noticed on the titles...

One VIN begins with J.

One VIN begins with 1.

I thought they were all built in Tenessee by that point. Anyone know what the beginning VIN characters mean? 

Edited by TimmyG
  • Like 1
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, datzenmike said:

JN6.... Commercial vehicle produced by Nissan in Japan

IN6.... Commercial vehicle produced by NMM (NMM is Nissan Motor Manufacturing Corp USA. Tennessee) Beginning no earlier than June '83 and on.

Wow, cool. So my running truck was actually made in Japan and parts truck in TN. Lol 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

The first month of production in Tennessee was less than 150 units.  Forth month 1,300 but this went up to 6,700 a month by years end.

I was always curious about 720 production numbers, but never found any info.

You were right. They kept making them in Japan and we kept importing them... my buddy has an '86 720 with a "J" VIN. 

Also, the WA state titles say "scale weight." My two 84 KC 2wd Deluxe are vastly different weights on the title. No difference except where they were built, and auto vs 5 spd. Not sure the scale weight info on WA titles is accurate ? 

My KC 2wd trucks

HyjHLLD.jpg

My buddy's reg cab 

1AdqpFd.jpg

• Like 1

The old PL510 was 2,200 -2,300 so ???? My 710 and my old KC 620 said 2,750. I weighed my 710 and 1,300Kg or 2,860 (I think this was -200 for me in it) The 720 has to be 2,800-2,900 and more. When I worked at GM they had dozens and dozens of different front coil springs. It depended what options you had on the car.  Air con, HD battery, HD rad, PS, (engine of course) everything affected everything else.

• Like 2