71C trans swap in my 720 4x4

Madkaw

2 hours ago, bottomwatcher said:

Definitely fwd on mine. The shifter comes out of the top of the trans on the C not the end like the B.

20210713_113122.jpg

Wow - that’s weird . I measure it all out and even with shifter top mounted it is still further back than the B 

• Like 1
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 hours ago, Madkaw said:

Thanks . So that pic is looking from the rear to front ?

Yes. Not easy to take a pic of but that is how I mounted it. Been working fine about 18 years now. On the other hand after driving it today no issues I parked it in the shop and after a few minutes a radiator hose blew its gizzard and pissed a gallon of coolant on the floor. Always something.

• Like 1

Rad hoses rot from the inside out, you can't tell by looking at them. Give them a squeeze every year. When they go soft it's time. 

If replacing a rad hose slit lengthwise with carpet knife and peel off the rad spout. This will save reefing on it and breaking the solder seal.

• Like 1
  • 8 months later...

Another question regarding this swap . When I put the bell housing plate( between the engine and trans ) up to the 71c trans it doesn’t cover the bell housing at the bottom . I have an extra plate that I believe came off a z24 to compare , but maybe it’s not . The 4 bolt holes for bell housing match up - but that’s it . 

22C780BC-6C9A-470E-BEE6-C007138D8B6A.jpeg

Have you tried flipping over to the other side to see if the holes line up better?

Called the engine plate. It just keeps debris from entering against the spinning flywheel  at the front bottom. Automatics have a hole so you can get at the torque converter mounting bolts to the flex plate. Must have it on or the starter will travel too far inward for engagement.

Not that critical as long as all engine/transmission and starter bolts fit through. There should be a hollow alignment dowel on the lower left side of block that the transmission mounting bolt goes through 

2 hours ago, bottomwatcher said:

That's not right. I used my z 24 plate. Plus it needs to be behind the flywheel. I went to put the trans on once and had forgotten. Dumbass me!

Not sure what else this plate could have come from . Only have worked on L6’s and Z24s 

2 hours ago, datzenmike said:

22C780BC-6C9A-470E-BEE6-C007138D8B6A.jpeg

Take a better picture with the transmission upright as it would be in the truck and shoot it from the front.

I mean it’s kind of sitting that way now . What can’t you see? 

Show the whole thing and I am nowhere near my datsun and haven't seen it in 6 months but from my unreliable memory. The bottom of the plate in that picture looks like the top of the trans. Also the 2wd and 4wd were different but interchangeable. I know I am running my original z 22 plate from 1982 on my KAe and C trans.

2 hours ago, Madkaw said:

This is sitting straight up . Do I have a KA trans ?

66FDDE7D-2085-4F54-85C2-51C0DB25ED9F.jpeg

Sure looks like it. Where did it come from? I bought a used jdm B series years ago and the bellhousing was wierd and unusable had to swap my original. But unless it is clocked wierd that looks right to me. The 30A is more rounded. Sorry I can't be more help. Wont see my parts pile until the end of the month. Mike will have something.

Here is an '85 or 6, Z series front case.... Had to turn the picture to match, fuck me how hard is t to take a picture the right side up????????

qCJzmIU.jpg

66FDDE7D-2085-4F54-85C2-51C0DB25ED9F.jpeg

Need the engine plate. I think the engine plate is from an L series or something

9 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Could be my web browser? My take is they are basically the same.

What about the engine plate???

Well - I should have put the plate against there , but stood the trans upright again on the furniture mover . So I take it again - ugh. 

3 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Could be my web browser? My take is they are basically the same.

What about the engine plate???

Well - I should have put the plate against there , but stood the trans upright again on the furniture mover . So I take it again - ugh. 

5438FA1A-EA73-4A8A-A5A7-AEED372C5CB4.jpeg