Where on earth can I get a rebuild kit?

carrcrazy

So, I'm in the process of rebuilding a F4w63 out of a 68 520. I currently have the trani completely disassembled and ready to go back together, but the problem is I cant find a rebuild kit for it anywhere online. If anyone knows where I might be able to find one, that information would be greatly appreciated!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

20 hours ago, carrcrazy said:

So, I'm in the process of rebuilding a F4w63 out of a 68 520. I currently have the trani completely disassembled and ready to go back together, but the problem is I cant find a rebuild kit for it anywhere online. If anyone knows where I might be able to find one, that information would be greatly appreciated!

What are you in need of or what parts are you hoping to find in the rebuild kit?

Gaskets can be found individually...

Bearings you might have get the numbers from the existing ones in the transmission and the match them through a bearing supplier....

Syncros might be the hard thing to find..

16 hours ago, Crashtd420 said:

What are you in need of or what parts are you hoping to find in the rebuild kit?

Gaskets can be found individually...

Bearings you might have get the numbers from the existing ones in the transmission and the match them through a bearing supplier....

Syncros might be the hard thing to find..

I measured the wear on the synchros, and they're surprisingly in great shape. The trani had way to much play and I found the culprit, but I'm now looking for the gaskets and bearings. I'm rebuilding the truck for a customer and he would like the engine and drive-train to be completely rebuilt after sitting since the mid eighties.

Where would be a good place to look for individual gaskets, I've seen whats on Datsunparts.com but their prices just seem outrageous, especially for the bearings. I'm sure this has been asked before but I was drawing a blank when searching for it.

I sourced all my bearings to rebuild my 71b transmission....

https://3bgsupply.com/bearings/

If you disassembled the transmission already you should be able to see the numbers on the bearings ....

Gaskets , really depend, ebay and some part stores, even rock auto, and some times you can get lucky nissan will still have them.... 

Use this sight to find oem part numbers..

https://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsun/pickup-1965-1972/power-train/transmission-case/from-oct-65

You can use the numbers to crossreference ....

This is a J13 engine transmission. There is a paper gasket at the front for the cover plate and one between the main case and the rear extension or tail.

I would just make my own. All you need is thin gasket paper easily and cheaply bought, scissors, pen or pencil and a round hole punch from a dollar store.

8NZFvQk.jpg

uxuSywP.jpg

Presto... one L series oil pump gasket in less time that driving to town to order one and then wait and then drive back. I used a cereal box, but have gasket paper now. Did this years ago and still on an working as well as a water pump, fuel pump, thermostat housing and cover gasket.

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The problem with just buying seals and bearings individually is the cost does add up pretty quickly.

I just got an overhaul kit for my 60-A for $142 delivered.  It came with synchros, a half-dozen bearings, and a few seals.  The bearings were made in Japan.

It wasn't a soup-to-nuts kit, it would have been really nice if it included an output shaft seal and collar for instance, but was plenty good enough to deal with the normal input-shaft bearing wear, seal leakage, etc. on a otherwise decent gearbox.