69 510 Wagon rear drum cylinder

LS_Wagon

Hi All,

Datsun Noob here. I noticed my rear passenger side wheel would not spin when I lifted the car to have a look underneath. I had a hard time removing the drum and as you can see from the pic, I need to replace the cylinder.  

Bad brake cylinder.

I took the driver side drum off and did not see the same problem. My question is, should both shoes move outwards when I press the brake pedal or just trailing shoe marked with the green arrow? In both sides we only have the one with green arrow move out and return while the other is stationary. 

Thanks for the help,

Luis.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope, leaking wheel cylinder.

Brake fluid acts as paint remover.........

Quick way to know what size tap drill you need for ANY metric screw is to subtract the pitch, from the bolt size.

So 8mm minus 1.25mm = 6.75mm drill.

And a lot of times drums come off hard because they are worn where the shoes contact them, and over the years people keep adjusting the brakes, so when you go to remove them, the shoes are sitting inside a larger diameter than the unworn area.

I always adjust them down before I try to remove a drum, make life a lot simpler.

4 hours ago, G-Duax said:

Nope, leaking wheel cylinder.

Brake fluid acts as paint remover.........

Quick way to know what size tap drill you need for ANY metric screw is to subtract the pitch, from the bolt size.

So 8mm minus 1.25mm = 6.75mm drill.

And a lot of times drums come off hard because they are worn where the shoes contact them, and over the years people keep adjusting the brakes, so when you go to remove them, the shoes are sitting inside a larger diameter than the unworn area.

I always adjust them down before I try to remove a drum, make life a lot simpler.

Thank you all for the comments. Yes the brake shoe paint is bubbling off and confirms a leak. This was my first time dealing with drums and I didn’t know what way to turn the adjuster to shrink the shoe diameter but I understand the mechanism now. 

Can’t wait to drive this Wagon to work. Thanks again for the input.