Dave's silver 260z

Icehouse

You guys may remember Dave's two 510's, he sold both of them and recently bought this 260z.  These are his two old 510's. 

4JaJrFOV8SsWbqUc9Vfq-6MsKZicx_AzAxMt5zuM

31Yl3_BHfd09Eo0bjQrUlBac-SU74rui-obc7N7J

He drove this one home for 600 bucks!  Wow it was a score!!!

9BGvv9DTi-73q7XAh3FjHpWw7olMxXQY-yV1y3qK

1bpva-CQ9g7gXZPNsg_ItWWfLYTuROHW36TvmsUa

• Like 2
  • Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He works at a action yard now.  Usually all the cars are pretty lame.  Well.... for once something cool went through and he was able to buy it.  Not at the normal steel it price but it's a gem!  It's got a lot of door dings for only being on the road for such a short time.  It's a 74 of coarse since it's a 260z and it was parked in a storage container in 82!!!  It was an auto and didn't run.  Since he had his fill of L motors and it didn't run he picked up a S15 SR20DET with 6 speed.  He bought an installation kit off Ebay.  Actually that's why I'm doing this thread, the kit was terrible!!!  I tried calling and email the company.  No response even though you can still buy it on Ebay.....  The motor sat over an inch further down then the crossmember.....  I've since redone the mounts, modified the chassis a little, and built a trans mount out of a T3 mount I bought for my 510 but it was so bad I didn't use.  Here are some pics.   The striped are painted on.  

BW8RTXS.jpg

nLa3k7M.jpg

Ak6HrOv.jpg

RjtWPGA.jpg

Z's have a nice shelf for tools.

fDthVC4.jpg

Motor mounts before I made them 1" taller. 

opz5ei8.jpg

Shop helper.  He likes the red glasses. 

cyKckdz.jpg

had to notch the crossmember.  I did it before I modified there kit.  Didn't realize it was so bad.....  Dave had piles of spacers to make it fit decent...  

d9FLrXG.jpg

Gotta make sure sparks don't land on it! 

WbIiPCH.jpg

Had to modify the hood latch shelf.  

ZDGJv5F.jpg

Gotta get the driveline angle correct

FvzBpwA.png

Best I could do.  It's all green though!!! 

UzLH3kc.jpg

New trans crossmember before I cleaned it up and painted it.  

1fcq52a.jpg

QSkOQSl.jpg

And last I got the radiator modified.  I like to aim the hoses close but I like to keep as much rubber as possible for engine flex.  

fLd07uE.jpg

Can't wait to see it on the ground!   I made some coilovers.  Gotta find the pictures.  

2W1LHdK.jpg

• Like 4
3 hours ago, ]2eDeYe said:

So what was wrong with the kit? 

It mounted the engine 1.25" to low.  The pan was below the stock crossmember by 1.25"!!!  I don't know if you've looked under a decently low Z...  The crossmember doesn't have much clearance.  I thought I had a pic of it but can't find it.  I'll keep looking.   

34 minutes ago, Eric said:

and which brand was it? i am after a kit as wel but probably be better of fixing one myself maybe?

This kit.  DR concepts,  Pure shit.  After I fixed the issue now their dumb crossmember is the lowest point.  Something tells me I will be back into it....   

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sr20det-Engine-Swap-Mount-Kit-For-240z-260z-280z/162195145723?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3Dd60cb58eae8947c7b54109221729508f%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D333214886670%26itm%3D162195145723%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2481888&_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3A5c7f8864-de37-11e9-aaed-74dbd1807b49|parentrq%3A5f9274ac16d0a4b77cf2cde7ff8dbf33|iid%3A1

• Like 1
1 minute ago, ]2eDeYe said:

That is unfortunate.

I don't see how that trans crossmember would work after looking at how you did it. 

I don't know either.  Dave cut the factory mounts off the car becuase he was trying to make their mount work.  I didn't get a chance to see it.  

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
20 hours ago, hobospyder said:

You redid your driveway and installed a lift? I need to go to your place more often

Dude you need a lift!  So nice.  I'm already wondering why I didn't buy one years ago.  

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...

Fixed a few things since I bought Dave's Z.   Of coarse the first thing to happen was the heater valve failed......  Turns out there is 2.  I ended up bypassing the one that was leaking.  That was not a fun job!!  Took 3 tires to get it to stop leaking.  Of coarse I knew better.  What kind of Datsun mechanic tries to re use all the old hoses.   Yep a stupid one.  All new hoses and clamps later its fixed!!!  

mnyMGzc.jpeg

Next issue was the fuel.  Dave just hooked a Walbro up to the feed line on the stock tank.  Car sat for 35 years, he flushed the tank but never pulled it.  The issue was the pre filter would clog in a day or two.  Super annoying.  I found the Wix filter to last he longest.  If any of you guys get into a pickle and need to run a pre filter.  So I pulled the tank with some help with my buddy Josh. Then we build a swirl pot and cleaned the tank.  I was very amazed!!  Zero rust!!!!  So minty.  But full of dried up gas.  O and two springs and a tube of fuel treatment haha.  

That's from going to Jrocks and back.  Just a day.  

VMd8KUn.jpeg

One of the many clean outs.

VQTlfDG.jpeg

Yep lots of big chunks.  

zBYVgZk.jpeg

Yeah this tube was in the tank with some springs too. 

76Hc9Qt.jpeg

43icWYb.jpeg

oiD3nw3.jpeg

Look how mint that is!!!

1KYpWhH.jpeg

Built this guy for inside the tank.  

UlrXmxR.jpeg

i2dAA2M.jpeg

• Like 1