TJ H

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, BrothersGarage said:

Little truck came together quite nicely! 

Any plans to paint it? Got pics of the 3rd brake light in day / night - lit up? Interested to see how it does.

No plans for paint. He wants patina and I don’t want to be mad if he scratches it. That’s why I bought a green parts truck so we wouldn’t need to paint. The daylight pic is above, I will get a night shot later. It has a low/running brightness and a high/brake brightness. 

14 minutes ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

Love this thread.

I want a youtube of the exhaust loud. Which Iknow it will be loud

It is loud especially compared to modern cars. Compared to some of mine it is pretty quite. The insulated cab makes it fine, can talk while driving. It does set of my neighbors car alarm though. Is anyone going to eagle rock?

On 11/8/2019 at 10:21 AM, BrothersGarage said:

Little truck came together quite nicely! 

Any plans to paint it? Got pics of the 3rd brake light in day / night - lit up? Interested to see how it does.

Day and night. Pictures don’t really do the light justice. The high is 800 lumens. 

CEE975-CE-E215-4991-B52-F-5-C832-D6-B3-E

D17-C64-EA-2-BEB-4-EC0-A21-F-6261367-D95

FC31-AD91-71-AC-47-FF-BE4-D-5080-D607794

84-F4988-A-0-CC0-46-C4-A765-897718-B271-

BD535-BF8-A883-4262-B6-EC-1-D4-D0-A201-B

Edited by TJ H
  • Like 3

You need to use the "hotlink for forums" links, it's hard to see deteil with them small photos(thumbnails?).

CEE975-CE-E215-4991-B52-F-5-C832-D6-B3-E

D17-C64-EA-2-BEB-4-EC0-A21-F-6261367-D95photo upload online

FC31-AD91-71-AC-47-FF-BE4-D-5080-D607794

84-F4988-A-0-CC0-46-C4-A765-897718-B271-

BD535-BF8-A883-4262-B6-EC-1-D4-D0-A201-B

It might be hard to see that light unless you drive around with the tailgate down, especially during the day, if I were to do this I would likely put the light centered in the bottom of the rear window in the cab, putting it at the top center would be better but then it may block the rear view view some, lower center is better because the wires can be hidden easier.

Edited by wayno
  • Like 2

I agree. This was a compromise. Truck is low so most people will see it. Other low cars will not. If I were to run it in the cab the option earlier in this post would be better. 

33 minutes ago, wayno said:

It might be hard to see that light unless you drive around with the tailgate down, especially during the day, if I were to do this I would likely put the light centered in the bottom of the rear window in the cab, putting it at the top center would be better but then it may block the rear view view some, lower center is better because the wires can be hidden easier.

Edited by TJ H
  • 4 weeks later...

We have actually got some rain and between that and a trip to the dump and trying to get the truck clean we got water in the tank. Found an O ring for a Z so hopefully that fixes that. Finally got the valve cover back from powder coat.  

D4-EE7-D03-5311-418-C-9-FE9-CDBD43-C5-C4

F6531350-5425-42-C6-B4-DB-587-C77-C9-E00

• Like 2
4 hours ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

Water runs down the filler neck tube and clamp thus filling up the tank causing rust and dirt to build up and then clog the idle jet.That why I run 2 filters.Astock one then a in line one.

love the truck

As in what seeps into the fuel door? Or the evap can in the bed wheel well? The original sender o ring was shot and figured the water came from washing the mud off the chassis. 

10 hours ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

I think most of the water comes from the wheel well then runs inside the Fillertube.From the water coming off the wheel.

I never thought about the sender area but most of that is covered

The sender o ring was so bad that when I pulled in my angled driveway fuel was spilling out with a full tank. 

2 hours ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

The sender part the brazing broke and was leaking when full.I JB Welded the sender down and been working for like 5Yrs

I bought a Z/510 o ring off eBay. Tired of this tank but at least Datsun put in a drain and an access panel in the bed. 

• 2 years later...

Hey guys, this is my trucks thread so I figured i’d post here I have a set of

dcoe webers I was planning on putting in my truck. The thing is I assumed they were 40s and they actually are 45s. I know that I can dejet and tune to my engine which will be a slightly beefed up cam with flattops from a 280zx, arp rod bolts and head bolts in a l20b z block with a U67 head. I’m posting here in case someone might want to trade some 40dcoe carbs for mine or if anyone has some advice on what direction i should go. As far as the carbs there in quite good shape and have a conventional cannon manifold. Thanks -Aiden

On 1/27/2022 at 8:10 AM, iceman510 said:

If I am reading that right,  you have an L20B with flattops and U67 head.  I think you can make 45s work with that.  What size chokes do they have?

I’m not sure what chokes are in them they’ve been sitting on a shelf for a while and I have a little ways before my engine is completely redone to go with the carb set up. I can give you some numbers maybe tomorrow but I think i would rather run 40s than choked down 45s anyway so if i could trade someone a set for a set or something that would be my preferred way to go

• 3 weeks later...

Mate I would run the 45's.  Plenty down under have done for years.  I had twin 40 sides on my 510 years ago and had the oppotunity to go 45's and should have.  Mine was shaved / cleaned up head, bigger valves and cam.  Nothing huge just a step up over standard.  I should have jetted the 40's better but didn't a thing about them back then and we got it running.  The 45's will mean she snorts up top and that won't ever be a restriction.  

Depending on how I like the 32/36 in my 620, first time with this carb and truck I may find a pair of 45's hmm if I keep the l20 and throw a cam in it.

Will see 

On 1/27/2022 at 5:19 PM, 521aiden said:

Hey guys, this is my trucks thread so I figured i’d post here I have a set of

dcoe webers I was planning on putting in my truck. The thing is I assumed they were 40s and they actually are 45s. I know that I can dejet and tune to my engine which will be a slightly beefed up cam with flattops from a 280zx, arp rod bolts and head bolts in a l20b z block with a U67 head. I’m posting here in case someone might want to trade some 40dcoe carbs for mine or if anyone has some advice on what direction i should go. As far as the carbs there in quite good shape and have a conventional cannon manifold. Thanks -Aiden

49 minutes ago, RyanC said:

Mate I would run the 45's.  Plenty down under have done for years.  I had twin 40 sides on my 510 years ago and had the oppotunity to go 45's and should have.  Mine was shaved / cleaned up head, bigger valves and cam.  Nothing huge just a step up over standard.  I should have jetted the 40's better but didn't a thing about them back then and we got it running.  The 45's will mean she snorts up top and that won't ever be a restriction.  

Depending on how I like the 32/36 in my 620, first time with this carb and truck I may find a pair of 45's hmm if I keep the l20 and throw a cam in it.

Will see 

yeah i’m starting to lean that way i’ve already. I think that with some head work on top of a cam and the flat tops I planned on already it’ll be enough to actually use them. Lots of projects going on right now but when i get a chance to throw it on a stand i’ll order some pistons and hopefully i can get some pics of the engine build up on here after it’s done.