Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
athoose

Weird clacking sound

Recommended Posts

You can replace or swap a rocker any time but if a used one best to use very fine wet sand paper and a sheet of glass to 'recondition it. Just wet and pull the arm across the paper in a rocking motion to knock down any high points on it and produce a dull finish.

 

gCCHkjE.jpg

 

q5FJWdx.jpg

 

CrT7dBD.jpg

 

Go to the compression stroke. Take plug out and insert about 3 feet of a 4 foot length of 3/8" nylon rope into the hole. Turn engine up towards TDC till the rope is compressed tightly against the closed valves. Take the rocker off and compress the spring and remove the spring retainer. It's possible this was damaged 10 years ago and has developed this problem recently. Replace the retainer and lash pad with used ones. You might consider swapping the rocker also.

 

Won't hurt to try and is a cheap easy fix if it works.

Share this post


Link to post

this is me here

Put the lash cap back in and adjust to .006 intake and .008 COLD

see what that does.

 

be honest I was leary of this fix/ as I think it is a valve seat come loose .

 

If your going to take the head off wehy not take the intake off and look and see how much carbon build up there is.

 

and if there is a sticky valve why don't you dist the coil wire and hit it with the starter and look at that section of the valve and see maybe if it jams up or rocker don't look right as it working

Share this post


Link to post

I cycled the motor and didn't see anything. Hosed the valve with silicon spray fired it up and it's working right now but I think I'll replace rocker, lash cap, and retainer when I track one down with Mike's rope trick. Probably not drive it until then. I really don't want to pull the head if possible.

 

I put an oil pressure gauge in : 8 @ 400, 15 @ 750, 23 @ 1000, 50 @2000, 60 above 2500. This is warmed up. It's 60 when I start it up but my cold start rpm is way too high, not sure how to fix this. I currently have the idle when warm set at 750, it runs better at that speed. I think I need to get a weber the hitachi is just ugh... Should I be looking at replacing the oil pump with a high volume unit. From what I've read on z forums 10psi at idle is typical. Currently, im running 10w-30 but thinking I'll swap to 15w40 rotella t4, just wondering if I should replace oil pump at the same time.

 

Thanks all!

Share this post


Link to post

just do the .006 and oo8 COLD  and try it.   JUST DO IT  

 

if this is stock cam and lashpad set up the lash pad will fit flush in the retainer

 

 

 

I had lash pads fall out also.. So I thighten t up abit plus my Schneider Cam specs said use these numbers. shit do .005 and .007.

 

your oil pump is fine

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

just do the .006 and oo8 COLD  and try it.   JUST DO IT  

 

if this is stock cam and lashpad set up the lash pad will fit flush in the retainer

 

 

 

I had lash pads fall out also.. So I thighten t up abit plus my Schneider Cam specs said use these numbers. shit do .005 and .007.

 

your oil pump is fine

put the intake at a tight .006 and it runs fine, took it for a 45 minute drive, no issue. We'll see how long it lasts! LOl

 

The raised portion on the retainer that surrounds the lash cap is about half the size of stock, from being banged up. But I guess .002 on an inch is helping just enough to keep it in place for now. I would think the lash cap pushes on the valve tip but it looks close to hitting the keepers on the retainer. one of the retainers looks slightly higher than the other. The valve springs seems really weak too, maybe valve float is contributing.

 

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, athoose said:

 

I put an oil pressure gauge in : 8 @ 400, 15 @ 750, 23 @ 1000, 50 @2000, 60 above 2500. This is warmed up. It's 60 when I start it up but my cold start rpm is way too high, not sure how to fix this. I currently have the idle when warm set at 750, it runs better at that speed. I think I need to get a weber the hitachi is just ugh... Should I be looking at replacing the oil pump with a high volume unit. From what I've read on z forums 10psi at idle is typical. Currently, im running 10w-30 but thinking I'll swap to 15w40 rotella t4, just wondering if I should replace oil pump at the same time.

 

Thanks all!

 

Oil pressure is fine. Replace later it's not that critical right now.

 

Cold fast idle is normal and should be between 1,800-2,200 RPMs. Once warm 5-10 min it should come down to 750-ish.

 

Share this post


Link to post

Got out to the jy and found a u67 head and w58 head, grabbed a good rocker and lash pad but will have to go back for retainer with rope. Thought about grabbing the U67 head for back up but the cam and rockers are rusted, bad. Could I swap the w58 cam into the U67 head without issue ( I just read you aren't really supposed to pull cam towers)? Same cam specs?

 

 A 7/77 510 had a manual, is it a dogleg 5spd? 

 

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
22 minutes ago, athoose said:

Got out to the jy and found a u67 head and w58 head, grabbed a good rocker and lash pad but will have to go back for retainer with rope. Thought about grabbing the U67 head for back up but the cam and rockers are rusted, bad. Could I swap the w58 cam into the U67 head without issue ( I just read you aren't really supposed to pull cam towers)? Same cam specs?

 

 A 7/77 510 had a manual, is it a dogleg 5spd? 

 

Thanks

 

Where in great lards name did you find two Datsuns in one yard in the South?

Share this post


Link to post

Don't remove cam towers unless desperate. They don't need to be removed to remove the cam.

 

You can swap all L series cams if you want. All interchange.

 

Grab the head anyway the rockers from a good head can be swapped into it. If available and cheap grab everything for spares.

 

The 78-'80 A10 (later HL510) had 3 speed automatics or manual 4 speeds but there was an optional dogleg 5 speed offered. Only the 2dr. hatchback had the option in '78 but all models (2,4 dr. wagon) had it in '80. If this is an '81 the  engine is a Z20 and won't fit.

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.