Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 9/20/2019 at 8:40 PM, banzai510(hainz) said:

See if chainguide loose

alt mount loose

valve mouse springs broken

Chain guide look good

But found this

This seems like it could cause clacking. Whatcha think?

Also, it seems my cam is on position 3 but dash is to the left of v groove. Does this mean the cam is advanced retarded lol. What should my timing be around?

I'll check into that thing on the carb, if this doesn't do it.

Thanks

2 hours ago, athoose said:

Also, it seems my cam is on position 3 but dash is to the left of v groove. Does this mean the cam is advanced retarded lol. What should my timing be around?

If V is to right of, or under the line it's fine. Chain may have stretched or the head has been milled which will have the effect of lengthening the chain.

• 2 weeks later...

Seafoam is snake oil. It's just petroleum distillates..... solvents. Over hyped, over priced snake oil. Uses by the unknowing and the desperate. If your engine is that gummed up change your oil and filter more often or get a better oil.   

Something sticky can come unstuck too. If stuck then why? Not enough oil changes? running engine without thermostat and too cold? Oil polluted with blow-by? A well maintained and tuned engine won't need that crap. Pour half a cup of diesel fuel in the oil for the same thing. 

3 hours ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

I cant believe it!!!!!!! wonder if the valve seat got stuck back in its orginal position?  be nice to know exactly what was the noise

Yeah I'm curious too, something sticking is my guess, glad I opted to give seafoam a chance. I watched a YouTube video with similar results prior to trying it. Much prefer a couple bucks and ten minutes of my time to the alternatives. 

3 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Seafoam is snake oil. It's just petroleum distillates..... solvents. Over hyped, over priced snake oil. Uses by the unknowing and the desperate. If your engine is that gummed up change your oil and filter more often or get a better oil.   

Is it snake oil if it works. I understand the hype and if some other product does the same thing for less that doesn't negate its effectiveness.  Knew what I needed and seafoam delivered. Yes, I was seeking to stop a clacking in the engine. Could I have disassembled to engine and cleaned, checked, etc... Yes, but it seems likely something was sticking and this product freed it up. I'm think it's fair to say something caused it to stick. 

BTW, I'm in no way affiliated with seafoam.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

But your a YOUTUBE Technician!!!! get your certified patch.

well it helped and good for you. To me its just PBPlaster in a foam form

Should have told me that sooner. I keep a gallon of pbblaster and a brush at arms reach when wrenching. 

I actually used some on the valves a few days prior to seafoam, maybe it was the nectar of the gods that cured that clack, after all.

Mike is right, SeaFoam is not anything special.

Just about any fluid poured down the carb while it's running will destroy carbon build up.

First learned about de-carbonizing an old engine while getting my Associates Degree, and being poor as shit.

Bought an old Vega for $50, that the owner thought the engine was shot, because it had a bad hammering sound coming from that joke of an engine.

Was about to pull the thing to go after bearings or broken pistons, when a friend suggested trying a 'Coke bottle tune-up'.

He said to get the engine up to running temp, then pour a Coke bottle of water down thee carb, while manually holding the throttle open far enough to keep it running.

I did, that piece of shit engine sent a billowing cloud of black smoke, and chunks of carbon out the tail pipe, and stopped hammering !

The issue wasn't worn out or broken parts, it was the carbon build up on the pistons, and head, that were making contact.

4 hours ago, athoose said:

Is it snake oil if it works. I understand the hype and if some other product does the same thing for less that doesn't negate its effectiveness.  Knew what I needed and seafoam delivered. Yes, I was seeking to stop a clacking in the engine. Could I have disassembled to engine and cleaned, checked, etc... Yes, but it seems likely something was sticking and this product freed it up. I'm think it's fair to say something caused it to stick. 

BTW, I'm in no way affiliated with seafoam.

Don't buy into everything Mike says.He oils K&N air filters with WD-40.The K&N filter oil is the same according to him.I've had good results using Seafoam as an injector cleaner.Do i think it will fix a shot engine ? No of course not.But it does have uses.

On 10/8/2019 at 7:23 AM, datzenmike said:

That's like saying Bisquick is snake oil. It's nothing but flour, shortening, salt, and baking powder.

Yes it is, but it's conveniently packaged to make the job easier.

I had a pressure washer that wasn't working right I shot PB Blaster were the water comes out. a day later it worked

then a year later I fucked up. A coworker said you want a pressure washer?. I said whats wrong. It don't pump. I told him I shot PB Blaster in there. He did and next day he said he wasn't giving me the pressure washer as it now works.

Some body told me there is a valve that sticks and one needs to lube it up over the winter.

So yes Seafoam/WD automatic trans fluidwith acetone most likely will work in certain places

• Like 1

I love seafoam! Works wonders on small outboards, mowers,chainsaws ect. Maybe snake oil to some but I have done the oil change flush arraignment, fuel stabilization ect. for me I am convinced. I did decarbon a motor using water in a vacuum line run into the cab, don't want to hydro lock but steam is a powerful cleaner 

Fill your reservoir with winter windshield washer fluid and run the hose into the carb throat. Go for a drive. Hammer it to 4K in third and push the button. The temp gauge will drop like a stone. Let it warm thoroughly and give er again. It's the sudden cooling (steam is the result) that cracks the deposits and they flake off. Not just carbon either, but that crusty almost ceramic looking deposit that's glazed on. Get the engine super hot when doing this.

• 2 weeks later...

Well after a glorious clack free week, the clack came back with a vengeance. The lash cap came off the 3rd cyl intake. Chewed the retainer and banged around a little bit. This happened on this same valve like ten years ago when I first got the truck. This time putting the cap back doesn't work. It quickly comes off. I'm guessing the valve is sticking or it's bent, or the guide/valve stem is loose. So, I'm thinking I've got to take the head off and see what's going on with that valve. Ugh ... the cam looks fine but the rocker arm has a light score in it, I'm thinking I should replace the arm but are they matched to the cam at this point?