Auto trans question

TimmyG

For those with the auto trans...

Does your truck allow you to shift out of Park without the key on and without depressing the brake pedal?

I'm talking open the door, sit down, truck is off, grab the shifter and put it into neutral etc. Whatever you want. No key. No brake pedal. Nothing. Freely shift into N or any gear. 

I'm assuming this is normal. I've never owned an auto 720 or any auto this old. 

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fuck me our new Dodge RAM Classic work truck won't go into gear if the door is open when you start it. Unless already running and you open the door then it does..... I think. Will go into drive but not move if the seat belt isn't done up...unless already running and you take it off.... I think. There's no gear shift..... it''s a dial. Eight speed automatic.

Yes, I believe that you can get in and without a key shift into any gear. So always set the parking brake.

1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

Fuck me our new Dodge RAM Classic work truck won't go into gear if the door is open when you start it. Unless already running and you open the door then it does..... I think. Will go into drive but not move if the seat belt isn't done up...unless already running and you take it off.... I think. There's no gear shift..... it''s a dial. Eight speed automatic.

Yes, I believe that you can get in and without a key shift into any gear. So always set the parking brake.

🤣🤣🤣 Yeppppp. I saw something on the interwebs about the new Ram not letting you reverse with the door open to spot yourself... slams into emergency park or something. Good times. 

I bike to work and if I drove it would be my Datsun. This thing has to use a back up camera because of cap over the bed and I don't like it. It distracts you from your 'situational awareness' by having to concentrate on the screen. My work partner is always screaming to use the screen when I'm using the side mirrors to back up. (another distraction) But on screen what looks like 10 feet is really shortened to a meter? Looks like you have tons of room but you don't. My wife's Toyota blanks out half the rear view mirror for the back up display. I hate them and see them as another example to move us to autonomous cars. Aren't all small cars automatic? A whole generation can't drive a stick shift.

LOL. Yeah I hear you! My friend needed to have me drive his Subaru and asked if I could drive a stick... I looked at him like he's crazy lol. He says ok I mean I have to ask these days.  I

I also rarely rely on my backup camera in my F150. I'm more comfortable with the side mirrors and don't feel so disoriented...probably because I drive large trucks for work with large side mirrors and spot mirrors...however the backup camera in my F150 is great for knowing how close I am to hitting the garage or car parked on the street. 

1 hour ago, canon3383 said:

I guess I and the truck came from a time where you had to be smarter than your vehicle.

Haha yepppp. I have no issues with it. I don't like all the new age safety complications. Just wanted to make sure it was working as designed for 1984! 😎 thanks for the reply