620 kingcab headliner..removal and reinstall

Joshua

I understand attempting removing my headliner prior to removing the window seals is likely to result in damage to the headliner..Is it possible  , (a) to remove it without causing damage or (b) remove window seals first ?..this headliner is like  new and I'm told it is original.I want to reinstall the headliner after this pickup is painted..has anyone reused / reinstalled their headliner ? I'm removing every thing I can myself in preparation for some bodywork and paint..Thank you all for any comments advice or personal experience 

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pulled the headliner out of my standard cab a couple weeks ago. It was old and crisp with a few rips in it already. There is no way I could have removed it without damaging it. It was in to tight behind both the windshield and rear window seal. I ended up cutting most of it out with a razor.

So, just to be clear for my own understanding, you made ur own headliner out of carpet ?, did you use an adhesive to just stick it up there?..I keep looking at the inside of my (620) and wondering if I could do something similar,  like carpet, a custom application I guess, NOT being contingent on the window seals as part of its install and look..I'm curious how yours turned out wheather it's a 620 or something else..Thanks man for your response..

Would be interested in seeing yours as well Mike --- I pulled the one out of mine and like the additional head room but am not opposed to putting some carpet or something in there... the standard cabs are like an echo chamber.

I was thinking of getting some indoor/outdoor carpet for the floor maybe Ill use some of the same material...

demo243, if its NOT too much trouble i wouldn't mind seeing what yours looks like now that you have removed your headliner ? I'm sure there are slots where the "bows" are placed. Cant seem to find a good picture on line..i"m visual, just think it might help me determine how i might proceed once the headliner is out..I have removed the dome light, looked inside the cavity with an inspection mirror/light ,can't see the ends by the doors but looks like there may be ample room to install thermal tape,juke cloth and" datzenmike" like custom carpet headliner.. 

Not a problem 

It's late and dark here... but here are a few quick ones. Can take anything more detailed tomorrow 

20190918_214258

20190918_214307

In the above photos The three holes along the top edge are where the rods go --- also note the black edge on the left side with the two screws above it- removing those screws does not allow you to remove that bracket... and it's kinda like a saw tooth underneath the rubber protector I put there

The below photos just show two spots where there was a little bit of headliner left stuck under the gasket 

20190918_214316

20190918_214324

• 2 years later...
On 9/1/2022 at 1:31 PM, trjerm said:

My Headliner on my 85 Nissan 720 4X4 KC is in pretty good shape , but the metal rods aren't clipped in correctly, any idea how to clip them in without destroying headliner

You would likely need to drop the headliner to relocate the rods..........??  Issue there is that the headliner should be tucked & wrapped under the windshield (and maybe the rear glass) upper edge rubber glass seal, so you likely can NOT drop it all the way around.  BUT, if you think the rods are misplaced, they attach at each side................pull the door jamb welting/trim & carefully peel the glued headliner off & drop down, then perhaps you can access the rod ends.........??