New owner 74 620

Gluteus Maximus

I just bought a 74 620 and thought I would take it to my local mechanic for a check over.  The biggest issue seems to be the wheels on the truck aren't correct and are only held on by a few threads on each bolt.  I know where I can get some rims from a 720...Should they bolt right on ? Also, the gas tank is from some other vehicle...I noticed when I filled the tank for the first time, a small splash of gas hit the ground when it was filled to the max.  Stopped dripping after a minute...just overfilled?  Is there a source for replacement tanks, or should I find a wrecking yard one to swap out?

Thanks,

Brett

• Like 1
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Take one off and see if there's a spacer behind it. This won't fix the problem just shows how the wrong rim off set can't be fixed with spacers alone. If this is the case fixing this by using longer studs might be preferable to replacing them with rims from a 720... which will fit.

The '73-'77 tank bolts to the under side of the box. The '78-'79 are different.Maybe the hose is only split. Can you post a posture of the tank?

• Like 1

Tried taking a couple of pics of the tank.  I Googled Hydra Co Anaheim and found nothing.  Guess I'll leave this tank alone for now.  My shop says it's aftermarket so they won't work on the sending unit.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GnnTe9r92dJ8eA_3fFyQ3Tc6lzlICDod/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GpXChG1qwAOG31cEr4psUyGwqrJPMIfN/view?usp=sharing

I'll have to figure out how much this tank holds.  Gauge reads 1/2 when full and 1/4 when near empty.  Picked a couple of parts off a wrecking yard 620 the other day...Would go get the gas tank, but they told me they just punch a hole in the bottom of each tank to drain the gas on every car!  On a positive note, I went the the three bins of parts I got with the car and there's a pristine looking factory tach there!  I imagine that's a desirable part?

I spent 4 hours today under a 76 king cab at the Portland Pick and Pull.  I haven't been to a wrecking yard in 40 years, so it was a bit of an experience.  My initial goal was to get a rear side marker housing which isn't working on my new to me 74,  but I ended up pulling every switch I could get out,  the wiper motor, wiper arms, and a few other rubber bits.  The rear tailgate was in decent shape, so I grabbed it too...never know when I could get rear ended and need a replacement.  As I mentioned earlier in this thread, my gas tank is some aftermarket thing and the gauge doesn't work too well.  Pick and Pull told me they don't sell gas tanks since they punch holes in them to drain it.  Well, the tank in this 76 KC looked pristine....I didn't see any holes at all,  just a missing drain plug on the bottom!  I made sure to unbolt it from the bed and keep the hanging brackets all around.  I'm not sure if it will bolt right on to a 74,  with those brackets in place, I'm hoping I can get it welded right if necessary.  I grabbed the fill tube as well and the sending unit looks good as well!  The vultures at the yard charged me $30 for the tank even though they supposedly don't sell them!  Oh well, it should be money well spent If I need to replace the aftermarket tank.

If anyone in the Portland Area needs more stuff off this truck, the bed looks decent, as does the glass.  There's a set up towing type mirrors on it which I should have grabbed, but  I don't want to drill three new holes in my doors to mount them.  The carb was still in it as well.  Hope I'm not a newbie idiot spending money on parts I may not need,  but  I have the bug.

Brett

• Like 2

It's a King Cab? What kind of shape is the cab in? What about the rear window and quarter windows? I have a 1977 King Cab without rear or quarter windows and am needing them. If the cab is good enough I might get it and not use the cab that I currently have since it has multiple holes rusted into the floor. Can you give me the name and address of the wrecking yard?

Don

ps- I just googled Portland Pick and Pull and came up with an address, but I need to make sure what I found is the same place you are talking about since I'm from about 70 miles south.

Edited by 620slodat

'73 through '77 all bolt to the bed. The '73-'74 probably didn't have a return line that the L20B needs. The '75 through '77 are the closest match iteration. '78 and '79s bolt to the frame but a smart person could probably make it work on the bed. 

It was a 76 KC.  It's the Pick and Pull at 116th and Foster Road.  As I remember, all the glass was good.  The cab was intact with no major dents that I recall.  If you go to the Pick and Pull website, there was a picture of it, although not a good one.  The bed was in decent shape too...just crusty from being in the weather awhile.  

Brett