Parking and dash lights delayed on 1979 210/B310

pdp8

When I turn my headlight switch on, the headlights come on immediately but the parking and dash lights don't.  The eventually do come on after a delay, the duration of which seem a little random but typically in the .5-1 minute realm.  It's interesting since my previous wagon did exactly the same thing.

Any ideas?

Oh, and why isn't there a specific B310/210 division or even mention under "cars"?

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The B210 /B310 is here ...    https://ratsun.net/forum/46-b210/     . OR..        https://ratsun.net/forum/13-1200/  ... The 1200 sunny (B110) is the forerunner of all the B cars.

Parking light delay is more common than you think. It usually is the dried up grease mixed with years of dust on the headlight switch which, I think, is in the steering column. With the plastic 'clam shell' unscrewed and removed from the column, you should be able to use spray contact cleaner/lubricant to clean the switch contacts, without removing the steering wheel. If by chance the entire light/turn signal/wiper switch assy needs to come off the column, the steering wheel will need to be removed.. 

I just meant to point out that the 210 isn't mentioned "by name" in the intro to the B210 forum in the way the 610/710 is called out (B210/210 or B210/B310).

Not a grease problem this time anyway.  There was a tiny bit of grease on the plunger but it felt clean and moved easily. The contact for marker lights is normally closed and the switch pushes it open when off, a few decades of that and the spring contact took a very minor "set".  That and a slight amount of burning on the contacts and I was having trouble.

I managed to remove the contacts from the switch, bend the finger for the park lights very slightly, polish them (pencil eraser) then acetone and a touch of contact lubricant.

In doing so I have achieved a measure of on-demand illumination, perhaps I can use this technique in other aspects of my life. 🙂

Thanks for the pointer.