l20b running on 3, r1 carbs

frank88

I cannot say for sure the ethanol is the lower layer, but it is about 10 percent of the volume, and that truck would not run on that lower layer, the truck was lifted and the drain plug removed, we got it started with fresh gas.

I have heard/read that once it separates the gas part doesn't have a high enough octane rating anymore, but that was a long time ago and I don't remember where I read that.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if you dont mind changing a spark plug once in a while avgas is great in weedeaters and other small engines. The smell is wonderful!

mike may actually have a better supply of fuel then what I get up here, its questionable here sometimes as theres been a few people that had safe tunes in their turbo cars just to have them break ring lands due to a shit batch of "94" octane. the 87 is junk too, sometimes you get batches that will make your shitbox ping like crazy and othertimes not. 

on my old boat I had a chrysler 45 on it, it never had carburator problems, but if i ran ethanol gas I ended up replacing the fuel lines annually.

on the flip side of the coin, i am DYING for pump E85 here. we're so bass ackwards up here in canada ugh. that would change everything

Spark-Plug-Gap-and-TSB-Image-gzbrfnskqa_

Published in 2006???? This would be for engines running at or above stoichiometric (leaner) running EFI engines not 40 year old Datsuns with carburetors. I've noticed zero difference with the 10% ethanol, maybe less power but it's only theoretical and not really enough to notice in the seat of your pants. There is zero indication of being lean or over heating. My gap is about 0.040 for the EI ignition and it runs without miss. Plugs are light tan.

I would agree with you mike. For the most part the difference is solved with a carb tune. The real problem we found was guys starting their engine and not letting it warm up. Then going for a blast and squeeking a piston.

Thread related I would make sure the float is not stuck on the carb for that cylinder. Pull the plug on the bowl and see if fuel flows. 

• 4 weeks later...