60A 5-speed and 4-speed parts interchange

pdp8

I have a 4-speed sitting in the shop and the price of a 60A 5-speed is just a bit beyond my threshold of pain these days, so looking for options.

To what degree do parts interchange generally and specifically can I use my 4-speed to convert a vanette  RS5W60A to normal shift?

I feel this has been discussed but my search-fu is weak today so looking for a little help.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The only 'van' I'm really familiar with is the North American '86-'89 Nissan GC-22 Van or 'Vanette' that had the Z24 engine and was quickly discontinued, the vans bought back by Nissan and destroyed. All earlier A series powered vans were sold elsewhere unless a few were imported. Of these they had 4 speeds or automatics. There was one near me in a wrecking yard and indeed it was a Z24 with remote shift but was an RS5W71C.

All of my Fu does not turn up an RS5W60A but I'm limited to N Am vehicles. The RS5W71C appears to be identical to the F4W71C from the adapter plate and shift forks forward, so a change of the rear case (including) the shifter would seem to work.  If you had the rear case from an FS5W60A, I would think you could indeed convert an RS5W60A to one. A 4 speed rear case is not roomy enough for the extra 5th gear.

If I had an RS5W60A I would try to use the external shift mechanism. The Z24 Vanette uses cables but perhaps a side mounted Hurst shifter??? Something like this...

Hurst-Competition-plus-shifter-linkage-a