Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
slowlearner

Stopping rust from spreading on a ratty original?

Recommended Posts

I've got a 69 510. It's a dry, country car and amazingly rust free aside from one spot under the fuse box and a little bit on the frame rail. The rear quarters, doors, etc have very, very little in the way of rust. A few tiny bubbles, but much of it is just surface rust and gravel rash. What I want to do is treat it somehow to prevent it from spreading as much as possible. The car has very thin, original paint, but it's just getting a generous coat of wax. I'm avoiding panel work. 

 

So what can I spray inside the door bottoms and rear quarters to arrest what rust is in there now?

Penetrating oil (like INOX)?

Cavity wax?

Other ideas?

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

Most of the products I would  use may not be available in Australia. I like the rust converters that do not require washing off, neutralizing or rinsing.

 

Wire brush, sand or scrape off rust, vacuum or blow of dust, prep with cleaner/acetone.

 

1. Gempler's Rust Converter - brush on two coats, then paint.

2. Eastwood Rust Encapsulator Platinum - brush/spray on one coat, then paint. For chassis or wheel wells I would use Eastwood Extreme Chassis Black spray paint (satin or gloss) Go to their website and watch the video.

 

I have used the Gempler's and it is easy to use - just follow the directions. I have top coated this with inexpensive VHT engine paint in spray can and black works nicely. If you are going to use a light color, then I recommend using a primer before top coat since the Gempler's turns rust very black and top coats take 3-4 coats to cover it well.

 

My project page:  "72 510 Goon - Prova - because it will be a test" has photos of using the Gempler's

 

https://ratsun.net/topic/74834-72-510-goon-prova-because-it-will-be-a-test/

 

Good luck and congrats on the 510 - make sure you post lots of pics - we love pics.  :-)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/13/2019 at 7:20 AM, slowlearner said:

I've got a 69 510. It's a dry, country car and amazingly rust free aside from one spot under the fuse box and a little bit on the frame rail. The rear quarters, doors, etc have very, very little in the way of rust. A few tiny bubbles, but much of it is just surface rust and gravel rash. What I want to do is treat it somehow to prevent it from spreading as much as possible. The car has very thin, original paint, but it's just getting a generous coat of wax. I'm avoiding panel work. 

 

So what can I spray inside the door bottoms and rear quarters to arrest what rust is in there now?

Penetrating oil (like INOX)?

Cavity wax?

Other ideas?

 

 

 

I'm considering boiled linseed oil, maybe mixed with turpentine, for my truck bed that has surface rust underneath.  If it's just a small amount of rust in an accessable location I'd paint it properly. 

Share this post


Link to post
22 hours ago, athoose said:

I'm considering boiled linseed oil, maybe mixed with turpentine, for my truck bed that has surface rust underneath.  If it's just a small amount of rust in an accessable location I'd paint it properly. 

 

Boiled linseed oil and turpentine works well with wood but I would not bet on it for steel.

Edited by MikeRL411
typo

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/26/2019 at 4:52 PM, MikeRL411 said:

 

Boiled linseed oil and turpentine works well with wood but I would not bet on it for steel.

Apparently, it was used as a car rust inhibitor way back. Boiled linseed oil develops a skin when it dries that locks out moisture. I work with it, so I can vouch for that. Just not sure how it holds up on cars. Was hoping someone would chime in that had experience.

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.