620 L20 exhaust manifold

superbee620

I’m trying to put a 78 L20 engine in my 73 620 . My question is I’d like to use my exhaust manifold off the 73 which is square port but the head is round exhaust port. Will this work ? and if so should I use a square port gasket or round port gasket ? Thanks 

Edited by superbee620
I found the info finally when I googled it . It was on the ratsun site lol
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, it's do-able. I think I would run the square port gasket as it has a metal ring around the edge that will be fully crushed against the head for a good seal. A round ring will fall inside the square opening in the corners and the square manifold will only be pinched against the 'paper' gasket.

• Like 1

Be aware as well that the square manifold will have likely come from either an L16 or L18 and may end up pointing the downpipe at the bellhousing since the L20B is a touch taller.

It's workable but just know 😉

• Like 1

The metal 'fire' ? rings protect the softer gasket material edges, but mostly it crushes for a good seal. If you put a round gasket up against the square exhaust manifold you'll see that the square shape doesn't clamp onto the metal ring and seal properly, only a round manifold would. I daresay both will work initially, but the square gasket would be the best seal.

• Like 1
  • 7 months later...