521 brakes , Stumped

banzai510(hainz)

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

O riley said they willnot turn my drum cause it got too hot. so I have to buy new ones.

I will try to lube(grease up this driver side rear but this ewasnt doing it before

maybe i need a new lower adjuster or the clip?  The was a 521 how to adjust on here but cant find it

Here's the thread on adjusting:

• Like 3

yup that the ones Matt thanks.

Still heating up. I think its the lower adjuster being too loose and moving to one side and getting jammed up. I spead the adjuster out to take eout the slop but then its still moving around I think. Its not smoking hot but rim is say more than warm.

Im at my witts end on this one.

maybe buy the adjuster locking plates?

http://www.new-datsun-parts.com/datsun-pickup-parts.html

Edited by banzai510(hainz)
  • Like 2

Remember the shoe moving out in the direction of the turning wheel has an advantage over the rear shoe. It's called a 'servo action'. Forward movement helps pull the shoe in contact with the drum. Sliding adjuster may temp. hold it in place before releasing properly.

• Like 2

Mike ,Ebonics I didn't understand one thing.

I can move the adjusters by hand side to side. I think this is theproplem what wayno or Daneiel said on the 12 to 25 pound tension. someone wrote

I ordered new locking plates. from Datsun roadsters.com

I see new adjusters and locking plates from Thailand. Has anybody have any issues ordering from Thailand?

• Like 2

I just ordered some plates but mike blue hands vid of how to slide them off

thinking of it now I heard clunking from that side and my pedal would be deeper then sometimes at the top of the stroke .i took drum off and turn the adjustment wheel then brakes where better and no more clunk. I only changed the brakes knowing winter was coming and the brakes were on the thin side. Only cause the brakes

were worn the adjuster wasn’t causing the brakes to jam up moving the shoe to one side.

Someone can post vid of adjuster removal? I’

• Like 2

FIT-NISSAN-Datsun-520-521-620-720-Front.

Aren't there two? clips C shaped and curved like leaf springs. Don't they face each other like ( ) and the ends interlock. I always had trouble driving the clips together under tension. Once in the adjuster barely moved in it's slot. 

• Like 2

61 clip in above schematic was bowed so I flipped it so there is more tension as before I could move it with my fingers. I sprayed litho grease also . Right now it seems fine but need to drive to work on Monday as it’s a 22 mile drive. It’s the weekend so I don’t drive to far but drove 8 miles and seems fine right now. Better answer Monday morning. I have one extra set of USA made shoes left, all the rest are Chinese made which look fine.Rock auto had more listings but they drying up

• Like 2

after driving a few days I think the brake is fixed.

pretty much it was the adjuster. Having neglected my brakes for a few years One really does need to clean the str adjusters and even lube them. Thenking about it now when I heard and felt the cluck in my brakes that was it all along just that the rear shoe was worn enough not tojam up on one side but when putting the NEW shoes on it just locked it self up.

I suggest anybody owning a 521 to get new spare drums as they are still cheap and shoes ,Unlike the 510 , Drums which are 80$ apc I believe on Rockauto. once no demand they just dump the parts to stock parts that sell

Partsgeek.com has shoes also for 521. but Rockauto has the cheapest of the drums. I got Raybestos and just order the Bendix brand and they have the jack screw holes on them already.  O rileys want $44 apc for them.

also I saw centerlinks for like 35$ either on Rockauton or Partsgeek cheap. Nice to have a spare

Put Antiseize  on back sde of drum were they maye and one should be able to take them off by hand

Edited by banzai510(hainz)
  • Like 3

i had same problem on left rear when i took it to car show at night, i had to do some adjustments and got it home. it was warm but not scorching hot as before, i never knew about the c- clips being the issue or the parking brake adjustment under cab that needs adjusted when replacing shoes. i have disc brakes on front and a dual brake m/c on my 521. i wish there was someone who has a good rear disc brake setup then i can convert from drum to disc instead.  i guess i will have to go thru and check my rear brakes to ensure no problems. thanks for everyone's input on brake issues