2 mm head gasket

Eriks

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks. I have a L20B with flat top pistons and a 219 head. Noticed too late that the head had been milled 1 mm. Checked compression, it was 14:1. Not sure how much gasket I need to lower the compression to a ping free level. All advices are much appreciated. 

Roughly I get 12.89 but would need the combustion chamber to be cc's for it's volume. A second gasket adds only 6.8cc more volume to the combustion chamber. If my 12.89 is close then this drops it to 11.2.

There's lots of room to remove material around the valves to unshroud them. This would open up the combustion chamber and lower the compression. You really would need to know what the combustion chamber volume is first with 1mm removed of the head.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Roughly I get 12.89 but would need the combustion chamber to be cc's for it's volume. A second gasket adds only 6.8cc more volume to the combustion chamber. If my 12.89 is close then this drops it to 11.2.

There's lots of room to remove material around the valves to unshroud them. This would open up the combustion chamber and lower the compression. You really would need to know what the combustion chamber volume is first with 1mm removed of the head.

Yes, this^^^^

Cut your chambers to match the bores, unshroud the valves, blend the bowls. You will lose compression this way, but in your case, this works in your favor.