nissan720

tach

my factory tach stop working.i know you can't find replacement nissan.what is the next best option?

• Like 1

Have three or four dashboards in my shed,might have a tach. Before you go crazy, though, check the drive cable.

Vancouver Island, BC, Canada

• Like 1

1 minute ago, weldingrod said:

Before you go crazy, though, check the drive cable.

They're electric not from a Corvette Stingray. 😄

Try a want ad...  https://ratsun.net/classifieds/category/9-datsun-parts/Maybe someone has a spare. Specify round not square.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, weldingrod said:

So, sensor powered?

The on and off between the electronic module and the coil is the signal.

• Like 1

Either get a new used one or have your broken one repaired. There is probably more than just one place to have it serviced in the US I would think. 

It could also be as simple as a broken solder joint, or one of the wires to the coil thing that drives the needle, those wires are really thin.

• Like 1

Try a meter on the sense wire at the tach while running or off with the ignition on. It should read something through the coil. Probably 6 or 7 volts? This would prove the wire and the tach resister are OK. If no reading then no tach and it may be a simple wire or resister not working.  

• Like 1

thanks datzenmike.I will try that tommorrow .I am off work so i can trouble shoot some.

• Like 1

tried what you told me Datzenmike.It read 6.8 volts wuth my voltmeter.So i gess the problem is the tach itself.I aint complaining.To quit working after 35 years aint bad at all. just look around at the local salvage yards.Found some 720's at the local salvage yard ,but no tachs.

• Like 1

Never hurts to eliminate the easy stuff.

• Like 1

found a place in greenville sc that does tach repair.D&M Restoration its only 5 hours from me which i will ship it to them.

Edited by nissan720
  • Like 2

well after searching the internet and calling different companies that claim to fix broken tachs.they all told me they did not work on foriegn car instruments.bunch of bull and false advertising.only worked on classic cars.well what is a 1984 nissan truck?

• Like 1