620/720 Frame Data Sheets

It kind of depends on what is being developed ... the 620/720 frame is purely a tech demonstrator. The same tech (materials/process) can also be applied to the Titan XD or SPL310  (WIP/todo list). Full BIW are also on the list although throughput takt time is higher (10mm/min built height limit).

The ability to quickly produce a digitally customized Product without downstream Form Specific tooling adjustment  is the key factor. There are no OEM/Brand/Model specific restraints... if it can be accurately modeled, it can be accurately reproduced with vigorous control of constituent materials and machine maintenance.  So Purchasing Managers of materials/maintenance cannot be sole signatories to POs 🙂

• Like 1
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One possible problem uncovered during the dune buggy era with California DMV and registration.  If you build a vehicle no matter what age design and use a new frame, the vehicle must include all smog and safety upgrades applicable to the model year in which the new frame was manufactured, not the model year of the design.  So you would have to register a 2019 520 Datsun for example.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

It's the case of grandpa's axe. If you replace the frame out of necessity, then it can be considered a replacement part. If you must have a VIN applied to the new frame (for whatever reason) you can simply have it inspected and then certified. You could probably stamp your own VIN into the frame and play dumb if the question ever arises.

Think of all the companies like Art Morrison, The Roadster Shop, Chris Alston Chassis Works, Fatman Fabrication, etc who make new frames for old muscle cars, hot rods and trucks. None of those guys ever have to get a new VIN.

I would call this a non-issue. The only place I could see it coming into play is if you were manufacturing new vehicles using this new frame, like the dune buggy, but even then, most states either don't care or have some kind of lottery.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/8/2019 at 11:29 AM, rowen01960 said:

And for those Cost Nay Sayers ... 🙂 current RC (Recurring Cost) is between 50-75$/kg of post-cured net printed product (programming $ excluded). The variance is due to specific reinforcement materials/forms.

So if the 'new' 620 frame is just 22 pounds that's $1,100 to $1,550 ( (programming $ excluded)) and I assume  profit margin and shipping.  

Image result for good luck taken gif

On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 10:18 AM, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

I would call this a non-issue. The only place I could see it coming into play is if you were manufacturing new vehicles using this new frame, like the dune buggy, but even then, most states either don't care or have some kind of lottery.

Like the Cobra frames "found" by Carol Shelby in the desert?  He made new frames and lied about their age.  He even let them "age" to show some wear from "storage".

Edited by MikeRL411
typo
  • Like 1
8 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

This project doesn't seem realistic. I barely grasp the OP's motivation, and the end product seems outlandish. Maybe it's just an exercise?

Datsun and economical are almost interchangeable. Owners even more so. Frames??????? who replaces their frame without first welding it up??? Now if this was about body parts, door skins, panels, hoods, fenders... stuff easily damaged and in big demand, it would make much more sense. But at $50- $75 a kilo?????  I could barely grasp the big $2 words. I think it was for a social studies research paper on gear head gullibility.

• Thanks 1