280zx alternator in j13 engine Q

jdmarron

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's 60amps not 60v.

A normally charged battery is about 12.6 volts.

A normally charging system is about 14.3 volts give or take.

All alternators after '77 were internally regulated and the 520/521 uses an external regulator, so the question here is, did you convert your 520 over to the internally regulated alternator???

• Like 1

If you had a previous internally regulated alternator before this and it charged then the ZX one is at fault. If this was just rewired for the zx alternator there's no way to know weather it's the wiring or the alternator.

I think the 520/521 is the same as most Datsuns.... Sold Yellow and White together and White/Red stripe to White/Black stripe together.

Does the red charge light come on when you first turn the ignition switch to ON?

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

So I found out my cluster was fried on the ign light, not prompting the alternator to charge fixed that with some soldering  and my alternator finally charged! But when I turned it off the ign light stays on. Unsure I ran some test and I shut her off she doesn’t start up no more! No lights no crank but still an ign light🤦🏽‍♂️ Unplugged the lamp wire from the alternator and it’s showing 13v coming from within the car.. battery test 13v go to turn lights on and nothing go to turn on truck nothing.. I’m beat for today please send help

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Looked like my battery was bad everything works now but the ign light still stays on. I wonder if my headlight relay switch is bad (the 7 pin box found in 411) my turn signals just stay on don’t flash( even with new flasher). My sidmarker stays on and when I turn the lights on they sidemarker go off. I wonder if that’s where my ign light staying on could have originated.

• Like 1