521 on BAT

d.p

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

..."I hope to never get to the point that I see any Datsun as a commodity or asset. Buying and selling for profit like that is disgusting, but there are people out there like that.  ...."

Would you apply this logic to selling a house that an owner has loved and repaired and improved?

Mike: I can see your point about being morally opposed to selling a cat you love, but I don't see anything wrong with profiting from selling an automobile or a rare or even not-so-rare car part. Cars are like art, or a gun, or any other item that has a perceived value. To one group of people, a Datsun or any other particular car may have great value. To another, it may be worth nothing.

Some of the old cars and trucks I like are very expensive. But just because someone else is willing/able to pay more than I would/can afford doesn't make me think that person is "disgusting."

Back to the 521 that just sold on BAT.  On the day and at the hour of sale, at least two buyers thought this truck was worth bidding up to the eventual sales price. It looks from the pics like it was a pretty nice truck ... if you happen to like 521s. But what gives anyone else but the high bidder and seller the standing to judge what this item should sell for?

If Ray (BigTanker) or any other Ratsun member can and wants to sell their Datsun, I hope they get every last dollar possible. I think that new intake manifold Ray commissioned for his FJ20-powered 521 belongs in a museum. But is it my place to lament perhaps that Ray should display the manifold instead of installing and using it, or criticize him for paying whatever he did to obtain it? I think not.

Mike: I may regret asking this, but just out of curiosity  .... if someone bought a "collector quality" Datsun for what you considered a ridiculously low price, would that make the buyer "disgusting?"

I am not trying to poke the bear or start a flame war, I am really curious what your thoughts are on that hypothetical situation. 

• Like 2
12 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Don't get all pious on me. Just because we like to make money on old cars and trucks, doesn't mean we don't love them.

And don't put all sellers in a box either. I have never lied about anything I have ever sold. I only like to build and sell the best. How is that disgusting?

You can't truly love something and then just turn around and sell it even for profit unless forced by circumstances. Building to sell for profit you may love what you are doing but you can't stay in business without emotional detachment. It's just a commodity, you know when it comes in the door, it will be going out the same door. It's certainly a lesser kind of love.  

36 minutes ago, ol' 320 said:

..."I hope to never get to the point that I see any Datsun as a commodity or asset. Buying and selling for profit like that is disgusting, but there are people out there like that.  ...."

Would you apply this logic to selling a house that an owner has loved and repaired and improved?

Mike: I can see your point about being morally opposed to selling a cat you love, but I don't see anything wrong with profiting from selling an automobile or a rare or even not-so-rare car part. Cars are like art, or a gun, or any other item that has a perceived value. To one group of people, a Datsun or any other particular car may have great value. To another, it may be worth nothing.

Some of the old cars and trucks I like are very expensive. But just because someone else is willing/able to pay more than I would/can afford doesn't make me think that person is "disgusting."

Back to the 521 that just sold on BAT.  On the day and at the hour of sale, at least two buyers thought this truck was worth bidding up to the eventual sales price. It looks from the pics like it was a pretty nice truck ... if you happen to like 521s. But what gives anyone else but the high bidder and seller the standing to judge what this item should sell for?

If Ray (BigTanker) or any other Ratsun member can and wants to sell their Datsun, I hope they get every last dollar possible. I think that new intake manifold Ray commissioned for his FJ20-powered 521 belongs in a museum. But is it my place to lament perhaps that Ray should display the manifold instead of installing and using it, or criticize him for paying whatever he did to obtain it? I think not.

Mike: I may regret asking this, but just out of curiosity  .... if someone bought a "collector quality" Datsun for what you considered a ridiculously low price, would that make the buyer "disgusting?"

I am not trying to poke the bear or start a flame war, I am really curious what your thoughts are on that hypothetical situation. 

No one sells a house they ' loved and repaired and improved' unless forced to.  If they choose to make a profit on it this cheapens it. "I thought you said you would never sell this old house you grew up in"... "Yeah, well they offered me $200,000 above value so...."  Value cheapens everything it puts a price tag on love.

I didn't say the selling price was too high only that the retardedly rich ran the price up that high.

Ray doesn't seem to care much about money. I also think he has fun sinking money into it and that's what it's all about. At least the selling price (if it ever comes to it) will likely reflect what was put into it unlike the BAT 521. It  wasn't sold, it was auctioned off. Maximum profit was all it was.

1 hour ago, ol' 320 said:

Yes, if the buyer sees this as a profit making venture and the intent is to invest little to nothing and then to turn around and sell it for what it's worth, (or more) that, would be disgusting. This is not what anyone would consider the definition of a Datsun enthusiast. Where's the love. Well there is the love of money here but no love for Datsun

If you always wanted, say a 510, to build and enjoy and one fell into your hands for a ridiculously low price, (I assume the seller thinks it a fair price so they are ok with it.) it seems ok to me. I suppose if you have the means and money saved you could offer a more fair price for it.    

• Like 1
On 9/14/2019 at 12:20 PM, datzenmike said:

giphy.gif

I hope to never get to the point that I see any Datsun as a commodity or asset. Buying and selling for profit like that is disgusting, but there are people out there like that. I'd rather see my cat go to a good home than take any money for it. Different if it was a $1,500 boat load of bananas no one has any emotional investment in. The only up side to this post is to see some nice pictures of a 521 survivor.

So if I dump a shit load of money time love into a Datsun, I should just see it go to good home ? I don't think so.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

And why does my fuck'n name get dragged into this. Im not rich by any means first off just to mention, second I think I show a lot of love and passion for what I try to do by thinking inside but outside the box as well along with having the opportunity to sink a little extra money in not 1 but 3 Datsun's. And profit well if I sell the truck now I can assure you it would be at someones gain and my huge loss. Coupe and wagon little different because people are willing to spend extra on them. And why is Datsun's the so called don't make money off of car/truck. Chevys fords European exotics do it all the time.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Not at all Ray.

27 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Ray doesn't seem to care much about money. I also think he has fun sinking money into it and that's what it's all about.

At least the selling price (if it ever comes to it) will likely reflect what was put into it unlike the BAT 521.

Trailer not included. react_haha.png

• Like 1
9 hours ago, datzenmike said:

You can't truly love something and then just turn around and sell it even for profit unless forced by circumstances. Building to sell for profit you may love what you are doing but you can't stay in business without emotional detachment. It's just a commodity, you know when it comes in the door, it will be going out the same door. It's certainly a lesser kind of love.  

Defending my own front here - Yes, I can truly love something and then turn around and sell it. Obviously you are not of this variety so how can you say so? I build what I love, and sell what I love, and yes, I do love the process as well. That's not to say it is all about the process. I take strides to make sure they go to good homes too. Nothing pisses me off more than hearing that a car or truck I just sold has been crashed or is languishing in someone's back yard

My love for these cars and trucks is different from yours in the one way you describe - I do not need to own them to love them. I give them the honor they deserve during the build process and then find them a suitable home. This love I have is in no way diminished because I start with the intention of passing them on. I would do this for free if I could afford to, but I just so happen to make a living a it. Damn me for making a buck in the process. For the record, the last vehicle I auctioned off, I made about $8/hour on. I had over $17K cash invested, plus almost 800 hours labor, making sure it was as perfect as possible, and sold it for $35K. I knew early on that the target price would leave me with little profit and I soldiered on, in spite of it, because I wanted it to be perfect. How is this not love? I liken it to wild animals. everyone wants to pet a baby deer, but true love is watching a fawn grow up without needing to touch it. Let it be wild without the perversion of needing to fulfill one's desire to own it. That is more than love. It is also the discipline to know the difference.

I take strong offense to the notion that they are merely a commodity for me. One needs to walk a mile in another's shoes to truly know where they are coming from. What's your address Mike? I'll send you a pair of my shoes.

• Like 3
7 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

My love for these cars and trucks is different from yours in the one way you describe -

We're good then? You get to build them for someone else, win or loose at profit. I 'build' for myself. Both are far different than the BAT 521 that (in appearance, though I cold be wrong...) is just a flip for profit. BAT writing the ad could have placed this 'flavor' on it.

• Like 2

I fought like hell to have BaT use my sales lit, but they simply would not. Theirs read like an obituary, and it killed me to have it represent my auction. There was some benefit to that bothering me so much though. It caused me to engage with every single person that commented, either through email, phone or in the comments section. I kept names, numbers and email addresses from everyone that reached out to me and the morning the auction ended, I got up at 4am so I could ping the people on the east coast to remind them to bid.

The lack of emotion in BaT's listing allowed me to answer questions personally. I think people like a more personal experience anyway. There was a 32 Ford on BaT that did not sell last week, and I think it was largely due to the seller's complete refusal to engage. I don't think they replied to one comment during the entire span of the auction. Thus, no sale.

I actually got two other large jobs out of my one CJ5 listing.

• Like 3

I sold and bought a car off BAT, both times were pleasant for the most part.  There is, without a doubt, a BAT tax so to speak meaning people pay more for cars off there then they typically would elsewhere.  Plus like stoffregen said being engaged and able to talk with the seller and other enthusiasts really adds to the experience.  

• Like 2

Insomniacs, Daily Randomness, PostTiTs and POST-Ass would be at risk too.....

I said I would not want to be in the position of selling off my 'kids,'... least of all solely for profit. Buying Datsuns on speculation, treating it as a commodity and turning around and selling without remorse, strictly based on how much you can get for it is disgusting behavior. Like buying/selling slaves. Buying and enjoying it and selling it perhaps with improvements for more, including appreciation,  is not the same thing. Building and selling or building for someone else and making a profit is not even close to the same thing. Nor is being forced reluctantly by circumstance to sell, and gladly accepting a huge profit. Shit happens. If you got bent by my 'disgusting' comment perhaps you felt a twinge of guilt for adding up all your improvements and wondering what it would fetch if sold? Not that you would actually entertain the idea of selling, but what if someone made you an offer??? Again NOT the same thing as deliberately taking a profit on something with no/little value added.  

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Charlie69 said:

I agree with Mr Tanker, use the forum storage for more productive or informative posts. 

What the hell does that even mean?  Storage is CHEAP nowadays my man and this thread is informative because it shows what a somewhat clean non-stock 521 commands on BAT.  

• Like 1