Dirtroad/Hardware store Runner

Easygoingjc

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Turns out the other 73 l16 that had the a87 head on it has flat top pistons in it. I think they are factory because they have a three stamped into the top of them. All came out with no scoring. 

Edited by Easygoingjc
  • Like 1
On 5/13/2020 at 6:00 AM, Crashtd420 said:

You could check this dish in the L16 pistons.... dont quote me but I believe they are supposed to be -14cc.... 

Maybe you'll get lucky and someone swapped some better pistons in to raise the compression back up when they used the a87 head.... 

13 hours ago, Easygoingjc said:

Turns out the other 73 l16 that had the a87 head on it has flat top pistons in it. I think they are factory because they have a three stamped into the top of them. All came out with no scoring. 

The heads that came on our 521, 510 and first year 620 were a 210 'number head. The L16s all came with 7cc piston dish. L16SSS engines (with flattop pistons) have been imported in the past from Japan and these used a 219 (again a 'number head) but may have A-87 cast on the side but also have 219 cast on the front left side at the bottom, I guess above the distributor. This would be a peanut head with large ports and valves. You should check for the 219 on this head. If there is a 219 this is a 510 Coupe engine.

• Like 1

I had a feeling the 14cc was wrong.... just checked one of my books and it said 7cc like Mike said.... 

13 hours ago, Easygoingjc said:

I know you ordered rings already but the flat tops with the a87 might be a good combo to think about.... 

Mike would be the one to confirm the usability and compression ratio....

• Like 1

The JDM L16SSS had flattops AND a closed chamber head for 9.3 compression

I would check that A87 head again. Is it closed or open????

L16 flattops but with an open chamber head would be 8.63

• Like 2

The A87 is definitely and open chamber head. The pistons have valve reliefs and a slight dish but barely. I tried to CC the face with a plexi and syringe. I get around 4 cc's most of that is the reliefs.

Both these and the other l16 pistons have Ampco casting. Both measure 3.260 with the micrometer at the skirt. 

I will try to load pics. What y'all using these days seing as photobucket went to shit.

I use imgur but there are lots of others.

ldQeZ2f.jpg

I know of these but I don't know if after market of from the L16SSS. There is a very slight dish, very slight. #3? Nissan often 'grades' their pistons so that an oversize bore can have an over size piston. Nothing is perfect so slight variances can correct each other and waste is cut down.

Hainz would probably know.

• Like 1

I got some of the front end pulled apart. There is no factory bumper and nothing left of the grill. The rebar (not sure what to call it) that is behind where the bumper would mount was mangled and pushed back. I got all the spot welds drilled and it pulled off. There was no saving it.

C0coJKp.jpgthere was a chevy squarebody bumper that came in the box. I took a grilI off of my other 620 for fitment.I modified the bumper with a curve to match the profile of the grill. 

nMNsFXE.jpgI hand to shorten and angle the endss3AIMkq.jpgjrx62Bi.jpgTo keep everything leagal I have a Nissan hardbody bumer I will modify to fit over this to house the signals seeing as the valence is missing completely 

This I not a pristine truck, just trying to get her back on the road, but not completely be hacked together either.

• Like 2

I wasn't digging the chevy bumper fix. There was no elegant way to support the rad mounts, they were just flapping in the wind. 

I figured i would try and see if I could straighten the factory piece before i did any more with the alternative.AC0pj8l.jpg9Dz9v1C.jpg

Like I said earlier it was a mangled mess.

Panel beat the crap out of it and I am very happy I tried. It is amazing what a little labour and time can do.WIwHZWa.jpg

Test fit with the borrowed grill.ma9Drhu.jpg

Gave the front end and inside wheel wells a wirebrush and tremclad paint job.PRjwnbJ.jpg

It was a good day.

• Like 1

I got the front hardbody bumper modified and mounts built. 

It is quite a bit wider than a factory bumper so it masked it off at a lower contour and painted the lower portion. 

Maybe in hopes to make the bumper appear narrower.

The truck is legal again, and has factory nissan park lights.A1NHLKn.jpgbJPm84o.jpg

• Like 1

Wife is working from home and had meetings all day so I had to stay home and look after the kids. That means I got to work on the datsun. I have a Hardbody parts truck my girls have turned the cab into a clubhouse. They spent the whole day in there hahaha.

DgfQpVn.jpg

I got the trucks moved around and pulled a lot of majour parts off of the 75 to use on the 73. I will use this diff because the 73 doesn't have a 3rd in it.

aZxLwra.jpg

Put the kids to bed and went back out and cut the driver floor pan. This the worst side bit all the cab mounts are pooched.IFD3GxE.jpgY3Dn6fn.jpgiIJPyvm.jpg

Edited by Easygoingjc
  • Like 1

It is my understanding that the 75 long box has a larger gas tank. Does anyone know if it will fit in the 73 short box. It appears that they both mount to the box. Not sure if there is enough room for a longer tank b/w the front of the box the rearend. 

• Like 1

All 620 use a 45 liter 11.88 US through '78.5

The '78.5 and on  620 uses a 50 liter tank or 13.2 US short wheelbase regular cab, and 64 liter 16.89 US on the reg cab long wheelbase and the Cab/Chassis option.

The later truck tank will have a return line but that can be capped when not used. It would be harder using a '73 on a '77. It should fit ok.

• Like 1

Well WTF! I got my brake parts and went to go throw them into the rear diff. 

The truck must have had a locked up wheel and the guy I got the trucks from must have pryed the drum off and broke the tab on the back of the adjuster. The other truck has no brake parts on it. 

Where would one source an adjuster from? Do other models have the same parts that I may be able to pull at a wrecker? 

Just fun and games constantly!!!!!.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

I believe the adjusters are available in the aftermarket. Someone here posted a link to them found on Rock Auto a while back.

I couldn't find anything on rock auto. Crisis has been averted though, maybe. Last night I emptied every leaf and chunk of junk from the bed of my parts truck. I found a seized up adjuster kicking in the dirt. Soaking at this moment, hopefully i can break it loose.

On a side note, what do those rubber covers for the adjuster hole usually go for. I found some on ebay that were 40 buck plus 20 shipping, Ouch!

Candian winters wont be too nice with that open hole.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Easygoingjc said:

I couldn't find anything on rock auto. Crisis has been averted though, maybe. Last night I emptied every leaf and chunk of junk from the bed of my parts truck. I found a seized up adjuster kicking in the dirt. Soaking at this moment, hopefully i can break it loose.

On a side note, what do those rubber covers for the adjuster hole usually go for. I found some on ebay that were 40 buck plus 20 shipping, Ouch!

Candian winters wont be too nice with that open hole.

This guy has them for $6 each - http://www.new-datsun-parts.com/datsun-pl620-truck-parts.html

Edited by Stoffregen Motorsports
  • Like 1