510 4dr Lexus V8 handles poorly

Stephen22

Hi guys.

I have a 510 with a lexus 1UZ V8, my datsun doesn't handle so well. 

Round about 100km/h it starts floating around the road (thats the best description I can think of), does the position of the engine play a role in handling? I was told my engine is to far forward over the front axle. I would say the center line of the front axle is in line between cylinder 2 & 3.

Maybe the engine is just to heavy? 

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this a change in handling that came with the engine transplant?

Increased weight and weight distribution will change the handling of a car for sure but do you know what the handling was like before?

It could be worn out suspension components, bad alignment - even tires contribute to the feel of the car going down the road.

What other information can you provide?  All the suspension and brakes still stock or has other work been done?

Pictures?

--carter

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Stephen22 said:

I am sorry I cannot comment on the handling before the V8. 

The front brakes have been upgraded to bigger disks and calipers from a BMW. 

The suspension as far as I can tell is still stock. 

What would be the first thing I should check? 

Stock suspension is going to be a big part of your problem there.... Did you build the car/ have it built or did you buy it complete from someone? 

These cars are light, and with that much extra weight over the stock engine and that much extra power its going to make a big difference. 

Start taking a look around down there - take some photos - look for coilovers or lowering sprins, swaybars etc. Should stand out if anything has been done.  

As carterb mentioned old tires or a tall tire, alignment, and worn out components could all play a big part in it as well... even crappy roads... my 510 hates truck ruts in the road, its just too narrow and doesn't fit them... so on the highway the middle lane can be terrible and the fast lane fine. 

• Like 1

A 1UZ V8 weighs under 380 pounds. The stock L16 was about 260 pounds so roughly an extra 100 pounds up front not counting the transmission... could be slightly more, but this is about the same as a KA24DE /VG30 and lots of those have been done with good results.

Almost for sure it's the deteriorated out of date suspension on the 510 that's the problem. When an engineer builds a sky scraper they first design the roof and top floor, then the next floor down that supports what above it, then the next down and so forth. This way the ground floor is always going to support what's above it. Same with an engine up-grade. Build the brakes to get it to stop, the suspension to handle the extra weight and the steering and tires to hold all this together. 

The 1UZ is over 4, (FOUR) times the power of the stock L16 engine. This is a  100 story building built on a ground floor than can only support 25 floors.

510 coil springs are soft to begin with so that it will appeal to the largest number of buyers' comfort. Springs can always be stiffened to improve weight carrying and reduce porpoising, that floaty feeling, going over several humps in the road. New shocks on the back and strut inserts will dampen the spring compression and rebound. Lowering the car will also lower the center of gravity, reducing that tippy feeling going around a tight curve. New steering ball joint components will make the car go where you point it. The 510 brakes were rather stat of the art..... in '68. Brakes and tires have come a long way in 50 years. It's common to just replace the 510 strut with one from a 280zx or Maxima (or others) for their huge calipers and vented rotors.   

Only advantage to disc other than they are slightly harder to lock up than drums is...

simpler, fewer parts, easier to work on

no maintenance, no adjusting

can absorb more heat from repeated stopping without fade than drums

look better

Yes, focus on the suspension first, THEN upgrade the brakes.  Do you have access to the 79-83 Datsun/Nissan 280ZX cars for parts?  If so grab the front strut assemblies as opposed to using the stock 510 strut assemblies.........gives you a shorter strut, bigger vented rotors, better calipers, bigger spindle, better wheel bearings.  You will need to do a coilover swap, as the 280ZX lower coil spring perch & upper coil spring "hat" is too big for the 510 strut TOWER cavity...........won't fit up in there!  Upgrading to the coilovers will fix that AND give you a stiffer suspension, depending on what coil over spring RATE you choose.  Hainz suggested 200 pound, so convert that to metric!  You should also consider spending the money on a matching REAR coil over shock kit............quite a few USA suppliers is Ermish, T3, Ground Control etc etc.

TJ

Sounds like standard 510 suspension to me, the steering box just makes a 510 feel like junk, that and it was Nissan's first attempt at pogo stick front suspension.  This is my favorite quote from a amazing Datsun builder.  "why can't they just drive as good as they look?"