63A transmission swap

Macdrone

So I found a dogleg transmission.  Since the owners manual said it was an option I will be ok with the swap.

a few things I guess.

i guess I need a automatic driveshaft as the transmission is shorter.  There is one on eBay.  Might have to pull the trigger.

i have to route more hydraulic line as the slave is on the opposite side.

i need to move the cross member, since it came with one that should be easy.

clutch disc I got should work, 

any my other thoughts or concerns?

any extra insight or a cheap driveshaft or shift knob is greatly appreciated.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I assume the automatic is 26" long same as the 5 speed. Thus an auto drive shaft should work.

Some Datsuns had two mounting bolts per side on the cross member and three threaded holes on the body. This allows you to move the same cross member forward or back for standard or automatic. Sometimes the rubber mount on the cross member is not lined up with the mounting bolts and you can 180 it for a transmission change.

Your 4 speed clutch should work but I'm assuming the input splines on the transmissions are the same number. Be sure to replace the old release bearing with a new one but very important....  keep your old collar that holds it. The dogleg may come with a collar on the clutch arm and it's mated to the clutch IT was using. They may not be the same.

The crossmember being movable my work, although it looks like they added plates and left the crossmember on it like they were getting it ready so I have a lot of extra there to work with.

Ya the arm is gone but I am seeing that even though on the other side the arm off the 4 speed should be the same.  Won’t know for sure until I pull it out but the same part number was listed for the 4 and 5 speed so my fingers are crossed.

thanks for the info.

its going to be my first “possible” mod that was an “option” for the car.

kind of excited so we shall see.

• 4 weeks later...

I am sure it will be.  I have the plate already.  I just want to find someone who will replace the staked driveshaft u joints before I start.  I see they have brand new doormans on eBay but for 600 dollars I am sure I could do a lot of other sweet things to the car.

I had a '79 Cutlass and the U joints are 'glued' in with hot injected plastic. They still hammer out and once out the groove is still there for the C retaining clip in the replacement kit. IIRC the Nissan ones are swaged? or at least look like a square peg was pounded in displacing metal to hold the bearing caps.

Some U joints have C clips to the inside...

SzzLFRM.jpg

This is from my 620 but the B 210 are likely smaller. You can press the old ones out or cut the four trunnions and let all the pieces and needle bearing fall out. Now you can drive the caps inward to remove them and use a dremel to grind away the metal the holds them in place. Installation should be like the ones above.

The B210 is staked in and i have seen a kit, but to make sure its done right it should be balanced.  No clips on the inside The holes are actually punched from the outside so the C cup cannot come out either way.  The place with the kit has not responded so kind of out of luck at the moment.  I can do the swap in a day, but I dont want the drive shaft exploding down the road due to age and corrosion of the u joints.

A hydraulic press will push them out shoving the displaced metal out with it.

I was saying the correct replacement U joints will have a groove in the caps to the inside and C clips that hammer in like the picture. There's no need to balance if you mark the shaft and yoke and put back together the same way it came apart.

A good question. Kind of hard to take out and go to NAPA with it.

None of the B-210 or later 210 have them only the permanent ones. The earlier 1200 with A series engines had replaceable joints. The Nissan part number is 37125-18025 and it might be the same size. NOT saying it will fit just a starting point. See if NAPA or w/e can find one or maybe they know about this.

• 1 month later...

I've broken 2 U-Joints in my 210. Just centered and tacked the U-Joint in. first replacement was a cheap joint that blew after the first hard launch, the 2nd was a good napa part that has survived over 50,000 miles of relentless abuse.

Find a driveshaft shop and either get a shaft made with replaceable joints, or have yours modded to accept Dataun truck u joints. A custom new steel shaft should be sub $300 or you're paying too much.

510 sedan driveshaft is an interchange part for the B210 auto driveshaft and works with the 63A transmission.

510 driveshaft is easier to find and I believe is already rebuildable.

• Like 1
  • 11 months later...