Help removing "KING CAB" plastic

TimmyG

Can anyone tell me how to get this sucker off without breaking the clips?

A3mBtO7.jpg

There is no access from inside the cab at all. I was able to get the King Cab emblem out with a pick to release the clips. Then I unscrewed the bottom section, two screws. The only thing left holding it is the center plastic clip because the top clip was already broken when I found it 🙄.

Don't wanna break the middle clip. I even noticed the top clip is broken on my other truck, too. What the hell. 

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

I'm going to guess you pull out slightly at the bottom and then slide it down and off the clips?

I should have posted this next pic. They look like a straight, round clip. You can see the broken one. I guess I was looking for someone to encourage me with a "Yeah, just pull straight out. It won't break if you're really lucky." 😂😩iEfpUXy.jpg

Edited by TimmyG
  • Like 1

UPDATE: 

I broke the damn thing. I was carefully prying that middle clip out when... SNAP.

Hopefully someone else can learn from this as I didn't realize there were 2 plastic clips in the center. (The one on the top was already broken). 

nYBZyv7.jpg0oJ3jOv.jpg

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, wayno said:

Why are you pulling this truck apart?

Just get it going and drive it, for the most part driving it will keep it on the road, sitting in one spot for long periods of time is what kills these trucks, especially if it is parked on dirt/gravel or under a tree.

I have two trucks. They stay in the garage. This one has already been sitting too long out in a field before I got it. It's for parts at this point, because it would cost me almost as much to get it going as buying another truck that's driveable already. This blue truck has no title either. I could get a bonded title, but again for the money I could buy a running truck. I've already tallied up the parts list and you know other expenses will pop up with a truck that's been sitting for a few years behind a shop/barn.

I've decided not to use the body on this truck after I discovered rust behind the A pillar on the inside of the truck that started at the sun visor mount. More rust elsewhere, inside wiper cowl, front fenders support frame, under front clip core support, slightly inside lower kick panels/rockers, floor pan under seat frames...all minor right now, but I'm looking for a solid relatively rust free body to keep long term, indefinitely. I'd really like to build another lowered 2wd truck and these 720s are my first love.

I'm not originally from WA so the rust isn't something I'm used to seeing so much of,  aside from the always rusted out japanese style beds. If I have to travel to acquire a nearly rust free truck I will do it. I paid next to nothing for this blue truck and could easily sell the 4wd parts as a rolling chassis and make money back. 

The rust growing behind the A pillar and inner roof support frame is what really kills it for me. I'm sure people are gonna slam me and say I won't find a rust free truck that's 35 years old etc so go ahead. 

Edited by TimmyG
  • Like 1

Broke my clips years ago when repainting. That plastic just gets old and brittle. Rust repair sucks! My old beetle sucked up two spools of mig wire putting it back together. I have had my 720 31 years and kept ahead of the rust but after the beetle experience I will never start off with a rust bucket again. Visit the southwest and ship something home. The shipping cost is a fraction of the time and effort to repair rust and once rusted it is hard to stop.

• Like 4
54 minutes ago, bottomwatcher said:

Broke my clips years ago when repainting. That plastic just gets old and brittle. Rust repair sucks! My old beetle sucked up two spools of mig wire putting it back together. I have had my 720 31 years and kept ahead of the rust but after the beetle experience I will never start off with a rust bucket again. Visit the southwest and ship something home. The shipping cost is a fraction of the time and effort to repair rust and once rusted it is hard to stop.

Thanks for your reply. 31 years, wow! I'd like to see your truck. And thanks for reassuring me in my idea of starting off with a better truck, no rust. I believe it will be worth it in the end, even though I have not gone thru what you describe with your beetle.

• Like 1

Oh and for anyone who cares, I removed the other King Cab piece without breaking anything! It's tricky, but if you need help I have some pics now. It can be done without breaking it. I just had to break one to figure it out I guess 🙄

• Like 2
Just now, wayno said:

There are 720 kingcabs showing up in the pick and pull wrecking yards, there is a kingcab in the Vancouver yard right now.

The burnt orange 4x4? Yeah, I got the drivers door off it for a friend of mine. Haha. The truck was mostly stripped after only 2 weeks. Seems that 720s are popular here amongst all types of people. 

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, olskool720 said:

I"m looking for a solid rear window for a 720 kingcab, no slider.  Drop me an email ebermerced@aol.com if anyone has leads on one.  I don't care if it has the defrost lines or not, just need to ditch this slider.

I haven't seen many of those lately.

• Like 1
On 8/31/2019 at 11:14 PM, TimmyG said:

Oh and for anyone who cares, I removed the other King Cab piece without breaking anything! It's tricky, but if you need help I have some pics now. It can be done without breaking it. I just had to break one to figure it out I guess 🙄

I'd love to see the pics.  If you can post them, that would be really great!

• Like 1