You're my boy, Blue '71 521 - KSwap

Dan from @mayhemandmechanics stopped by and got some measurements for the interior wiring harness, and we figured out where the ECU and new fusebox are going to go. Has it all set up for me to run the 09 Prius power steering and everything. Super excited to see what he whips up. 

Jake from @jakes_makes hooooooked it up with the 521 steering column boots! These are awesome. Totally going to run the blue one on ole Blue here.

55STwvB.jpg

And super simple project. The KPro is nice, but I want it to look a little better too, so I snagged a carbonfiber ECU cover to replace the factory one and slapped it on today. 

2ZVkGiV.jpg

FmJHlTc.jpg

I will get my bro to make an ECU mount for it before it goes into the truck. 

Fingers crossed some things go on sale for black friday, otherwise I'll likely order the coilovers next. 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, mrbigtanker said:

There nice but I like my reds better. Finish your truck already. So I feel better about myself. Lol

lol at a bit of an impasse. Waiting for the harness to finish getting made / new front cab mounts on the frame / suspension parts to arrive, so i'm doin what I can by spending money.

You know how that goes 😄 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, mrbigtanker said:

What cab mounts are you using?

Factory mounting points in the rear, but the front cab mounts on the 620 frame needs to be moved like half an inch to an inch forward to be perfect. 

New hardware, and these (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008DEW36E/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_yDcCFbQ79D7A0 ) for bushing between the frame and cab

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Bro stopped by with his plasma cutter today. Labeled and chopped off the rear bed mounts.

B8TVF9q.jpg

These are going to have about an inch to an inch and a half taken out of them to have the 521 bed sit level, so it's best to do it now so I get the best access to the frame.

3cP7mtW.jpg

Awesome little plasma cutter made short work of the mounts. Also lopped off the last remaining spare hangers from the frame. 

j4jTRGw.jpg

Time for me to go to harbor freight and get some cutting wheels to chaop off the front tow bars that were added to this and grind what's left of the mounts we chopped off today. 

Waiting on Beebani kit to arrive to get everything installed. Decided that this will likely be just going to powder coat after the suspension is done - screw messing around with the por-15 route. 

• Like 4
On 12/21/2020 at 9:53 PM, Goldfish101 said:

Dude, your build is sick! You’ve come along way in a short amount of time and I can’t wait to see it when it’s done!  

Thank you, really appreciate it! 

On 12/22/2020 at 3:13 PM, ]2eDeYe said:

Nice find on those cab mount bushings

I got lucky that someone shared the dimensions of the factory bushing with me, and I came across those after a bit of research. They fit in the stock 'cups' really well. 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Delivery today
MjEE5MJ.jpg

Got busy putting together the front suspension. 

CoNzka0.jpg

I ordered both front and rear springs at the same time, but the rear springs got canceled due to being out of stock, so I had to re-order them from another vendor.

arI0ei9.jpg

Slap together pretty easily. Still need antiseize on them but that will come when they're getting put in on the mock-up phase.

8FpEfyH.jpg

Edit: Bonus. These came in the mail today too:

okaE7jK.jpg

Since getting ole Blue here, I've reached out to the previous owner in an attempt to get the set of keys that he had for it as they still worked in the doors, however he hasn't ever come though. No worries though - it was a 'free' truck. 

Since I'm going with a push button ignition and no key I decided to 'beef' up the security a little. It will have an alarm and some other tricks, but peace of mind 🤷‍♂️

Edited by BrothersGarage
  • Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/26/2021 at 8:55 PM, ]2eDeYe said:

Nice pieces

Thanks dude!

On 1/31/2021 at 7:41 PM, mrbigtanker said:

Look out I have strong competition with this one. Lol. Looking good. It’s going to fly. 

With any luck! lol thanks Tanker

Got my lonelydriver machined horn button by machinedspeed and it looks awesome. Going to have to hunt down a black horn housing though.

59WkCjG.jpg

Talked with @mayhemandmechancis and he's finishing up the interior / dash harness.

Anyone have suggestions for clutch master? With or without fluid sensor? 

Edit: Bonus - just got pictures of the custom aluminum engine / data plate. Info updated to the K24 / 620 frame specs. 

G04GDpV.jpg

Edited by BrothersGarage
  • Like 6

Talked with the guy I bought the 14x7.5 keystone meshies off of and he came across a set of 15x10s. Jokingly told him I'd trade him (as I prefer 15"s on these trucks). He hit me up yesterday and we made a trade happen. 

ed7URgi.jpg

swarm of bees hit'em and now  I've got fat lips

2d6vwry.jpg

Edited by BrothersGarage
  • Like 4
31 minutes ago, Tank. said:

And where did you acquire this neat nugget?

There's a guy in Thailand that makes them  You have to be a member of the facebook group "datsun 520/521 owners registry" to see his post, but once you're a member here is a direct link to his post: https://www.facebook.com/groups/208028716062395/permalink/1366341033564485

• Like 2
6 hours ago, BrothersGarage said:

There's a guy in Thailand that makes them  You have to be a member of the facebook group "datsun 520/521 owners registry" to see his post, but once you're a member here is a direct link to his post: https://www.facebook.com/groups/208028716062395/permalink/1366341033564485

Awesome, thanks. I bet he’s on more than just the 520/521 stuff so I’ll have to do some searching. I’d love to have something like that made for the Z and 620.

Edited by Tank.
  • Like 2
  • BrothersGarage changed the title to You're my boy, Blue '71 521 - KSwap