You're my boy, Blue '71 521 - KSwap

Posting this as it may be helpful to someone doing a similar RWD K24 using a NA Miata trans with a mechanical vehicle speed sensor and trying to figure out how to get a working MPH to a digital cluster.

You can always go with a  gauge cluster with GPS like like Autometer, there's also mechanical to digital speed converters, and if you're using an AiM Dash like I am, you can also get a sensor from them and slap it on the driveline or use their GPS module. All of these will work but every single option there starts off at $300ish+ bucks. Not a problem if you're Ray buuuuuut - there's also a trend where NA Miata owners like using the digital cluster out of an NB. (Here's an in depth guide) - but the key to it, is simply relying on a NB vehicle speed sensor. 

NA
s-l1600.jpg

NB
0.jpg

You can pick up NB Miata VSS on eBay for around $90 - but I had a buddy with one layin' around so $40 and some beer and that saves $200ish for more wheels I don't need.

Then all you need to do is input the VSS RPM into your tuning software (in this case mine is a Kpro v4) to 4000 pulses per mile

Obviously the truck is a ways off from running so I can't show this in action yet, but this is also a reminder for my dumbass for when I inevitably unpack another part from the parts boxes and wonder why I got it and hopefully someone online will get some use out of it too.

Edited by BrothersGarage
  • Like 2
  • Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice.  I love factory hacks over aftermarket stuff.  I did a manual swap to a Subaru SVX back in the day and the SVX used a digital speedo sensor, not a cable like the manual I put in.  Luckily they were the same as the miata, a direct interchange.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Lockleaf said:

Nice.  I love factory hacks over aftermarket stuff.  I did a manual swap to a Subaru SVX back in the day and the SVX used a digital speedo sensor, not a cable like the manual I put in.  Luckily they were the same as the miata, a direct interchange.

Nice trick and totally! I am totally down with paying for a good quality aftermarket part that I won't have to fuck with, but I wanna use as many things that I could stop by an O'Rileys or local dealership and fix this shit over a weekend if possible because I wanna have the ability to whip this little trucks hiney. 

• 1 month later...

Parts comin in while I wait for the suspension and harness to progress to a point where we can jump into some serious work. 

DMgIQaE.jpg

Tanker had me question it and I'm not exactly sure what way I want to go sooo I'll just do both ways and have some more wall art either way.

JFJnqVo.jpg

The coil cover already came in, but the KTuned low profiles oil cap came in today as well. A little bonus though...

0g88rFl.jpg

• Like 1

Mail call today, got a locking glovebox door for the green truck, and a carbon kevlar plug cover from Jblood & ICB motorsports japan for the blue trucks K24 GITD valve cover

1PYe6Qo.jpg

Nothin to mount it in place yet but I wanted to see what it looked liked mounted up. 

oGWeS1R.jpg

I think it works. 

Edited by BrothersGarage
  • Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Wekfest Seattle was today, so I went and checked that out. Pretty small compared to HIN of years past but understandable with the restrictions and one of the 'first' shows to pop back up after the lockdowns. Nice to see some local people I haven't seen in a while. Snagged some goodies for ole blue while I was there.

0iD23Af.jpg

Some C's Customizing reservoir covers and a 'limited' edition gold carmeets app sticker. (Block out the QR code for ow because I haven't set anything up fully) 

Edited by BrothersGarage
  • Like 1

Incredible. 

Currently the build is still in the clean-up stage here.  But it won't even remotely compete with what you maniacs have put together. 

Really looking fwd to your updates.

By the way, named my 720 Blue.

Making blue a daily is taking time away from big red.

At least I'm driving.

20211021_140140.thumb.jpg.2e1c49911df4bdf4a93227db703af512.jpg

Donovan is cool with it. 

• Like 2

Been keepin my eye on Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist for a new rear diff for Ole Blue here. Had like 3 or 4 fall though due to someone stop responding or they sell it before I can snag it but I managed to get one today.

2003 Ford Explorer 8.8 - 3.73 with Trac-loc LSD and disk brakes.  

4xD4lFc.jpg

Bro did some quick measurements and it looks like we gotta chop out about 6.5" out of it to have it line up with the stock 620 diffs width. Figured I would need custom rear axels anywho but at least after pulling the rear housing off - everything looks great. This will just go on the 'parts pile' until the rest of the Beenbani parts show up as I'd rather keep the truck frame a roller until we have everything to dive into it. 

On 10/21/2021 at 9:55 PM, Snohomishdatsun guy said:

Incredible. 

Currently the build is still in the clean-up stage here.  But it won't even remotely compete with what you maniacs have put together. 

Really looking fwd to your updates.

By the way, named my 720 Blue.

Making blue a daily is taking time away from big red.

At least I'm driving.

20211021_140140.thumb.jpg.2e1c49911df4bdf4a93227db703af512.jpg

Donovan is cool with it. 

lol It's going to be a while before this is to the 'daily driver' stage so you're quite a bit further 'down the road' with your Ole Blue than I am with mine!, plus you got a co-pilot 👌

Edited by BrothersGarage
  • Like 4
1 hour ago, thisismatt said:

You have fab capabilities don't you? Why are you getting beebani 💩?

My skills are mediocre at best though, my Bro has pretty outstanding skills. Beebani gets me mostly where I wanna be in terms of suspension (fully adjustable with coilovers) and just like everything else on this truck - will be tweaked a bit.. 

• 4 weeks later...

Soooo little update on the Beebani full coilover kit + watts tri-link

• I put half down in OCT 2020 with a 4-6 month lead time.
• He asked me for the second half in DEC 2020 to "tie things up before years end".
• I peppered him here and there every couple of months for updates.
• JUNE 2021 I get sent UCAs and Coilover mounts , and a 'not concrete' date of the rest of the parts the week after.
• I hit him up in JULY 2021 for an update but didn't hear anything.
• Hit him up in SEPT 2021 for an update and he said that most of the watts link is ready for me and 3 others but just needed to weld up the lower arms - and nada.
• Hit him up Nov 2021 and was told that he and his fam were sick and they were recouping but that he hadn't been in the shop in almost a month, and sent me the LCAs.

I've asked a couple times for a concrete deadline buuuuut that hasn't worked out.... - grayed out parts is what I've got so far:

image.png.4a28bbed827b5bb3f294ef431bb85240.png

Question from the forum here... how many of you have bought Beebani's full kit and how long did it take for you to receive it? Did you get drip fed parts too? 

I've never ordered from Beebani at all.  I assume he has patterns and jigs for these parts if he is selling them.  So building those should be maybe 8 hours of work, then packaging and shipping?  I can't fathom waiting a over a year for that kit.  Seems pretty absurd to me.  But again, I've never bought anything from him, so maybe thats typical.

On 11/23/2021 at 1:28 AM, BrothersGarage said:

Soooo little update on the Beebani full coilover kit + watts tri-link

• I put half down in OCT 2020 with a 4-6 month lead time.
• He asked me for the second half in DEC 2020 to "tie things up before years end".
• I peppered him here and there every couple of months for updates.
• JUNE 2021 I get sent UCAs and Coilover mounts , and a 'not concrete' date of the rest of the parts the week after.
• I hit him up in JULY 2021 for an update but didn't hear anything.
• Hit him up in SEPT 2021 for an update and he said that most of the watts link is ready for me and 3 others but just needed to weld up the lower arms - and nada.
• Hit him up Nov 2021 and was told that he and his fam were sick and they were recouping but that he hadn't been in the shop in almost a month, and sent me the LCAs.

I've asked a couple times for a concrete deadline buuuuut that hasn't worked out.... - grayed out parts is what I've got so far:

image.png.4a28bbed827b5bb3f294ef431bb85240.png

Question from the forum here... how many of you have bought Beebani's full kit and how long did it take for you to receive it? Did you get drip fed parts too? 

I bought just the rear link system and disk brakes and that probably took about 6 months or so.... 

I'm pretty sure he builds these to order and also has to wait to have the steel cut... I believe the individual parts are all water jetted for him and I remember that taking some time also....

I did receive 2 packages but they were only about a week or 2 a part being delivered.....

Seems a little long to wait but I'm also not sure if this is just a side gig or not...

• Like 1

I'm sure its a side gig and I know he's got a family both of which should obviously take priority. I'm sure the pandemic played hokey poke with everything as well.

That said, what I have received look good. Really more of situation itself just has me left feeling really uneasy with how it's all playin' out. Guess I'll just keep waitin'  get a jump on ole Blue when spring rolls around. Getting too damn cold outside anywho.

Edited by BrothersGarage
  • 1 month later...

Little random weekend update. Tagged along with my Bro while he was doing some fab work for the brothers up the street. They've got a really sweet shop setup with a bunch of projects goin on. 

R7TkcID.jpg

There's a 510 in the back getting the full resto (the one from the floor video a little while ago) behind the IS on the right. A /really/ clean 620 pickup. A swapped 1st gen MR2 off to the left and some other cars under cover in the back. 

Bro was putting together a custom intake for the @Redline280z build - now that he got his new engine back from the shop and is putting a bunch of new parts on it.

au1WUQQ.jpg

More pics of the process on my Bro's insta @hawn_made for those interested.

While we were out I got a couple boxes delivered. I snagged a vintage style peace sign brake light that I may use for a 3rd brake light? Otherwise a cool parts for the parts bin. The seller included a 720 hotwheel and some candy which the girlfriend loves so that was killer. 

qik2VAd.jpg

Same day another shipment from Beebani came in

rQsCcUl.jpg

That puts me around 15/25 ish parts parts from the kit 

w4ppLO7.jpg

Then it's slap in the QA1 coils and source the 86-91 D21 upper ball joints / outer tie rod assemblies and lower ball joints from a 83 720 - and get it mounted up to that ford 8.8 rear. 

• Like 1
  • BrothersGarage changed the title to You're my boy, Blue '71 521 - KSwap