You're my boy, Blue '71 521 - KSwap

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

After work yesterday I went and met a guy and picked up his stock s2000 exhaust - Bro and I wanted to see if the factory bend of the exhaust tubes was good enough to do some fanagling and make it work with the stock manifold portion that bolts to the block. Went to work today and he told me that it wasn't even close oh well.

I still have a good stockpile of parts at my place from ole blue so I ran some over to bro and before I even had a chance to take pics lol he told me he chopped up the s2000 and RSX headers to see if he can get something to work.

And then sent me this later:

Z2gpAkH.jpg

I think he's on to something 😄 

Edited by BrothersGarage
  • Like 4

Nice fab work , it’s good to see someone not afraid to tackle some custom work like this . You will love that Prius power assist I put a 09 unit in my 620 last year ( its a homemade 4x4 with cj5 running gear) and now I can drink my coffee while I drive minus looking out for big bumps, keep up the nice work

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Bro was bored so he plasma'd the plate for the intake to get it all set up, and then tacked it in place on the outside:

uN02T8O.jpg

Parts came in, so it's back to work! Bro ordered some pre-made collectors so we did some test fitting

noXkR1D.jpg

and it looks like they will work awesome for what we need:

Ldszmq3.jpg

He cut down and cleaned up the old pipes a bit

5iO0tEz.jpg

starting to look like a thing now

n51IOUo.jpg

and in place all tacked together. He will break apart the tacks and finish welding them together and then put it back and weld the rest up - once we get some more pipe

CJAIcx1.jpg

Then I will likely hit it with some exhaust wrap.  Bro had one of the guys at work bend up some plate for Ole Blue so we while we wait on tube we can work on the trans mount

8U2dj8c.jpg

Measurements done, some test holes to see it line up, and I did a little grinding work to get it to clear the shape of the trans

G9dbWHN.jpg

after getting it 100% on the spare trans we slipped it on to the one in Ole Blue and put some factory hardware though it to hold it in place until we can get wider plat to build a L bracket with a gusset to attach to the new urethane bushings that came in a while back

Qabvnfa.jpg

• Like 4
1 hour ago, 80datson said:

keep up the hard work! this is coming out sick!!!!!!

is that thai tattoo on your arm?

Thanks!

That's my brother, but super close! It's Khmer. My sister-in-law's father was a monk in Cambodia before escaping the Khmer Rogue and immigrating. My Bro asked him to write a prayer for safe journey and something else, and he got it down the inside of his arm.

Edited by BrothersGarage
  • Like 1
18 minutes ago, BrothersGarage said:

Thanks!

That's my brother, but super close! It's Khmer. My sister-in-law's father was a monk in Cambodia before escaping the Khmer Rogue and immigrating. My Bro asked him to write a prayer for safe journey and something else, and he got it down the inside of his arm.

thats badass! so its a like a protection scroll, most of my family escaped the Khmer Rouge as well.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, BrothersGarage said:

I thought it was a really cool idea too. Glad they made it out safe! The stories that Ba (we all call him that) has shared with us have been insane. 

same here! yes its pretty messed up and sad what went on, ive actually been to Cambodia 2 times and visted the killing fields,

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, 80datson said:

same here! yes its pretty messed up and sad what went on, ive actually been to Cambodia 2 times and visted the killing fields,

I haven't been fortunate enough to visit, but my Brother has a couple times and visited what is left of the family that remains over there, quote a few temples, but I am not sure if he visited the killing fields. I know for those that have it has been a really powerful experience. 

• 5 weeks later...

Hasn't been much progress as of late due to saving money for the big ticket items and Bro has been working on his Subaru powered Super Beetle which is now at like 85% and running & driving. Some things on the way now though 😉 

Also a bit of good progress on the exhaust today:

QfpjjlD.jpg

After chopping up the pre-bent 2" Bro tacked it up and we tossed the final 2-1 joint on it. Ends up coming down next to the trans on the passenger side right along the frame rails.

hzbZgxS.jpg

Bro bumped that up to 2.5"  and tucked it down the frame.

Ymr5jUA.jpg

Pulled it out and further tacked together. This will go to a 2.5" Vband clamp to the rest of the exhaust and likely out the passenger side of the truck before the rear wheel. 

XRQOYjU.jpg

• Like 3

Looking good. I've never built an exhaust. Seems like a challenge. I thought about putting the K24 in my 510. Not sure if I want the bother now I have a garage full of L18 parts.

BTW, if that's your brother's VW, he's done well to get the bootlid shut with the Subaru under it. Love to see some pics of it. 🙂 

12 hours ago, slowlearner said:

Looking good. I've never built an exhaust. Seems like a challenge. I thought about putting the K24 in my 510. Not sure if I want the bother now I have a garage full of L18 parts.

BTW, if that's your brother's VW, he's done well to get the bootlid shut with the Subaru under it. Love to see some pics of it. 🙂 

There is a lot of custom work that is going to have to go into doing a K-series swap so far. I am running into a couple hang-ups even with as much as these are supported with a large aftermarket, like a plug and play harness is going to be a bitch. BUT 3x the HP base? lol Worth it.

NGqvx8x.jpg

He wants to re-do the intake and mass airflow sensor as he chopped them up to make them fit and work under there, but he did the harness himself, all the coolant lines to the front, and all the ducting work ect in like 5 weeks of spare time.

Edited by BrothersGarage
  • Like 5
7 minutes ago, slowlearner said:

Looks really good. I'm guessing EJ25 SOHC, right? What did he do with the sump?

I think so too. I can tell he pretty stoked about it but playing it cool still.

Yup EJ25! He cut about 1.25" out of the bottom of the pan and the sump and moved it up, same with the dipstick - just so he could tuck the exhaust up so it would look 'stock'.

2pl1f02.jpg 

You honestly would walk past it and never think anything different. Even walking up and peering though the rear deck lid you wouldn't notice anything. Idles super quiet. A car person would realize it sounded different as it took off though.

Took me for my first ride in it today which is where I got the pics (same time we worked on my truck). It pulls really well even from like 1k in 3rd all the way though power band just to see how it felt. She needs some new brakes though lol

• Like 3

Another 'big ticket' item came in a day early. KMiata v2 flywheel. I also ordered it with the optional Honda OEM bolts

12O0fuV.jpg

Which really only leaves the final 'big ticket' item being the wiring harness. Talking to Rywire to see what they can do as far as a custom tuckable harness that includes the charging and ground system to make it ultra clean, however there may be some custom-custom work done to accommodate the setup. 

From there it's radiator and cooling / fuel tank and fuel lines  and we can test fire. or vice versa if we're feelin' squirrely.

• Like 2
  • BrothersGarage changed the title to You're my boy, Blue '71 521 - KSwap