You're my boy, Blue '71 521 - KSwap

tenor.gif?itemid=8178872

After FINALLY deciding on where to go with the 'first stage' of this build; it's time for it's own topic, so let's bring you guys up to speed.

May 2019 - there was a craigslist post for a "Free Datsun Drift Truck". I was the lucky sob that was first to respond and ended up taking a road trip with my Bro to pick it up. 

XrtfTah.jpg

PZX9CVB.jpg

vFm9IL7.jpg

y0QTstI.jpg

cgRCDv0.jpg

sM89vUS.jpg

g6LH9rE.jpg

Fmt4k7I.jpg

EUufH29.jpg

Since then I've collected the random body parts missing from the truck, a couple sets of rims (haven't decided which way to go, and I'm a bit of a wheel whore) and recently decided to go with a Honda K20/K24 + Miata Transmission swap (eventual 6speed) for the engine. 

Rim choice 1 - 15x8 "Blades":
3kRkLlD.jpg

Rims choice 2 - 15x10 Mags:
Q6ph5HJ.jpg

Extra pics - Classic plates belonging to my Grandfather last regged in 95, now back on the street -

QuEmiRG.jpg

Next to my Green 521

T08yAnQ.jpg

zxQ04ec.jpg

New bed picked up and chopped off the old bed on the frame - thanks to some eagle eyed Ratsuners it looks like I'm working with a 620 frame

G12utZF.jpg

UEakMqn.jpg

lNUEVPn.jpg

random bed parts and tailgate acquired:

1vZOJUZ.jpg

Got a 5 speed tranny last week which will be great for mock-up at the very least:

v0QwCgv.jpg

And my Bro swooped up a KMiata adapter plate which will allow us to join up a K20/K24 (still undecided - opinions?) up and beat the shit out of it.

t0IibTa.jpg

Edited by BrothersGarage
  • Like 5
  • Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 hours ago, hobbes_the_cat said:

Awesome. I remember seeing this and almost made a run to get it. Excited to see what you do with it. 

Thanks! And it's likely something stupid 😄 

4 hours ago, demo243 said:

Gonna follow this one! 

Was just looking at a set of those "Blade" wheels for my 620.. but the seller was being annoying and they were filthy on the backside... I do like the look of them though. Something different.

I saw your photoshop!

I still gotta polish these after removing the black paint, and clearcoat. These are going to get polish + paint + re-clear before getting installed on either one of the 521s. 

• Like 1
On 8/28/2019 at 7:23 PM, Lockleaf said:

Do mags.  Those blades are so painfully 90s...

Or buy my vintage 15x10 western wheels turbines.  That seems like the coolest option.

Haven't you heard? 90's shit's "vintage" now 😄 

Still, I'd interested in those turbines if you weren't 3 states away lol

7 hours ago, bananahamuck said:

My neighbor built and extended 521 and 3 axle trailer to tow his roadster behind it,,, every wheel was a saw blade type wheel.. THAT was alot of saw blades 

anyways ,,, carry on

tenor.gif?itemid=4933425

The man knows what he likes 😄

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...

Snagged up some carbon fiber headlight covers for ole blue, tested them out on the green truck.

7eMbWLd.pngerGmcPR.png

Vick did a pretty good job on these, they mount with some rare earth magnets. They have a JDM nissan logo molded into the top that is difficult to see unless you hit it just right in the light. 

2VIG2kE.jpg

XF3YsJe.png

They mount super well!  Haven't tried with givin' it a ride down the road, but they take a good pull get off. 

XF3YsJe.png

Haven't decided if I want to paint them once mounted on ole' blue but that's still a super long way away 😄

• Like 6
10 hours ago, DanielC said:

I cannot count the number of times I have been approaching an intersection, turned on my headlights, and the other car suddenly stopped, because they did not see me before I turned the headlight on.

The vast majority of cars today have daylight running lights. To the point where people expect to see them and forget (actually they are lazy, incompetent and complacent drivers) that not seeing headlights does not mean a car is not there. I got in the habit of driving my Datsun with the lights on after having several cars simply pull out in front of me. I assume that they simply glanced and didn't see any headlights in the daytime. Just have to train myself to turn them off. Maybe I'll connect some sort of relay to the ignition. I want those assholes out there to SEE me.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

The vast majority of cars today have daylight running lights. To the point where people expect to see them and forget (actually they are lazy, incompetent and complacent drivers) that not seeing headlights does not mean a car is not there. I got in the habit of driving my Datsun with the lights on after having several cars simply pull out in front of me. I assume that they simply glanced and didn't see any headlights in the daytime. Just have to train myself to turn them off. Maybe I'll connect some sort of relay to the ignition. I want those assholes out there to SEE me.

I do the same. Any car I drive day or night I have the headlights on. You may be interested in one of these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Headlight-On-Buzzer-Alarm-Reminder-Kit-Universal-Save-your-car-Battery-/281041160984

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Chuh-chuh-chuh changes. Ordered the engine on Monday- a K24 out of a Acura TSX and I met them yesterday over at Bro's house

XKmte0I.jpgxB4YKtF.jpg

When he got off work he came over to sang Ole Blue

9fzWHOh.png

7QyOlnr.png

rh3NHc3.png

Pushed her up onto his trailer and moved her over to his place

Can1lG7.png

Then we got back to tinkering with the K24 and bolting the Kmiata adapter + Miata tranny to the engine so fab can start on the engine mounts

0CqzwMA.pngh2LyVDc.png

And then tucked everything away for the night

myUs9cE.png

The box on the ground in the last picture contains the ECU for a 2012 Toyota Prius power steering which combined with power steering unit and some custom work will help keep this beast pointed where I wanna go + there are more parts on the way. 

Likely going to pick up another Miata transmission that includes a clutch + flywheel tomorrow, and I may be going to see about another set of rims as well LOL

• Like 3
  • BrothersGarage changed the title to You're my boy, Blue '71 521 - KSwap