VG33 starting procedure after 9+ months not running?

rosso

My VG33 swap into the 510 wagon has taken much longer than I thought (duh). so after 9 months of not turning over and being drained of oil and fluids - is there anything I should/could do to help lubricate and prevent rust on the internals? I do not believe any preventative steps were taken for storage.

1. I presume that any procedure would involve turning the motor by hand (no starter and it's on an engine stand).

2. Oil to be added - best to take off the rocker covers and pour all over the gear.

3. Remove spark plugs and lubricate the cylinder walls. With what? WD-40? They make a new can with a metal wound stem that can be bent into any shape so it could get in the bores.

4. Turn over by hand 10 revolutions or so?

What do all you engine builders think? Engine has been dry for at least 9 months.

Edited by rosso
Make a better title
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I reviewed the checklist I use before I put my boat in storage for winter.  Sorry, most of this will be too late for you, but it may help someone else.  I have omitted steps that are boat specific.

1. put in fuel stabilizer, run engine long enough to get treated fuel into the entire fuel system.

2. change engine oil and filter.

3. run engine five minutes again.

4. spray fogging oil into engine cylinders through spark plug holes, turn engine by hand at least two complete revolutions.

5. loosen drive belts.

With your engine, put fresh oil  in the engine.  Poring oil over the rocker arms is a good idea, providing you keep dirt out of the engine.  I am not familiar with a VG-30, but it is possible to drive the oil pump without turning the engine?  if so, do that.  That will get fresh oil into the bearings.  Then turn the engine with the starter, spark plugs out, after spraying fogging oil  in the spark plug holes.   After turning the engine, spray more fogging oil in the spark plug holes, put the spark plugs back in.  Tape or cover the engine intake and exhaust.  This will keep flying bugs out of the engine.

Fogging oil has wax in it.  The wax helps it stay on the cylinder walls, and not eventually drain off.  The cylinder walls of an engine are normally lubricated by oil splashing on them from run off from the connecting rod bearings.   It is difficult to get engine oil on the cylinder walls above the piston, that is why fogging oil need to be sprayed through a spark plug hole.

If you can, try to store the engine where it will not be exposed to outside temperature changes.  Your biggest concern is if you have a period of time with cold weather, and a sudden change to warmer humid weather.   The engine will be cold, and the sudden change to warmer more humid air will cause condensation on the outside and inside of the engine, on any cylinder with open valves.  By the way, any cylinder on a four stroke engine will have valves open more than half the time.  On your VG-30, at least 3 of the cylinders will have an open valve anywhere it stops turning.

I would just make sure there is no direct opening to the outside, carburetor or air filter on, valve cover on all spark plugs in and snug and so on. If sealed up snug rust isn't a problem as there is only so much oxygen in the trapped air and everything already has a film of oil on it from running last. If just the exhaust manifold on, be sure to seal the end of the pipes to keep mice out.. not kidding. If you can get it up off the ground on a stand would be nice. If indoors you don't have to cover it further but if outdoors even under a lean to I would tarp it up. Try to empty the gas out of a carb if it has one and if you can. I've seen engines stored for years in their cars outside and they start up and run the same as when parked. I've pulled rod and main caps off engines sitting for years in piles in a wrecking yard and they were covered in oil and ready to be started. 

Engine is VG33 and is up on engine stand and has no exh manifolds or carb on it (intake manifold is on with rag stuffed in). It's in a finished garage but unheated.

Daniel, thanks I am looking into fogging oil. It is not possible to turn the oil pump by itself it is crank driven.