Will an L20B fit in a LJ20?

frankendat

For comparision the closest size engine bay that I have found is the Datsun 1200.

According to datsun1200.com, a engine bay of the 1200 is,

36.5": Width between Strut shafts at top

30.75": Width between strut tower faces at A12 rocker cover height

26.25": Length from firewall to radiator mounting surface

Firewall measured behind engine, above the tunnel

My LJ engine bay measures:

25”: Width between inner fenders at firewall

24”: Width between inner fenders at front bib

31”: Length from firewall to outside of radiator mounting surface

Firewall measured behind engine, above the tunnel

I can gain a few inches of width between the inner fenders, but only if absolutely necessary.

Here is a picture of a L20B in a 1200.

5388.jpg

Based on this information and the fact L20Bs have been installed in the, larger, Suzuki Samurai, I see no obvious dis qualifiers to my plan. Understanding that engine swaps are never easy and there are many unknowns, can anyone see any problems that I have overlooked?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll take what I can get. With the exception of height, I am fairly convinced the L20B will fit. The lower profile oil pan info that I found on the 521 Datsun site, might be a necessity, as well as, mounting the battery in a remote location. But, as with any custom venture, I don't know what I don't know. I am just throwing it out there to those far more knowledgeable, in case there is some obvious flaw, that I have missed.

10 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

What transfer case can you use with the L motor? As far as I know, there is only one option, and it ain't that great.

There is actually a second option, but requires bits and pieces from three different vehicles.

I was thinking of using the datsun/nissan (T100) transfer case. According to pirate 4X4 the case has been used successfully in rigs much more extreme than I plan to build.

Have you had negative experiences with the T100?

Please elaborate on this second option,  I'm intrigued

1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

I was wondering how a 650cc trucks trans case will handle a 2 liter 95 hp engine. I don't know how the two driveshafts are arranged, left right middle?

I have the original t-case but do not plan to use it. At present, I have a high pinion Dana 30 and a Dana 44 rear that I will narrow to fit the LJ20. The LJ20 originally came with high ratio centered axles for  slow crawling.

The most common LJ20 repower is the motor/trans  out of a Samurai. Some who have accomplished this swap use the original t-case without issue.

I like Datsuns and Ratsun member Boxcar Samurai L20B inspired my attempt. (which will have a closer to stock L20B and be a little lighter (better mpg) and finally, be able to use forest service restricted width (50in) trails.  Basically, a DIY street legal, optional hard top enclosed RZR trail.The only thing remaining LJ20 in this build will be the tub and the title.

13 hours ago, frankendat said:

I was thinking of using the datsun/nissan (T100) transfer case. According to pirate 4X4 the case has been used successfully in rigs much more extreme than I plan to build.

Have you had negative experiences with the T100?

Please elaborate on this second option,  I'm intrigued

The T100 case is a divorced case, and in such a short wheelbase rig you may have a hard time packaging it.

The second option I have never actually put together, but in theory, you should be able to use a T5 manual bellhousing out of a '83 280ZX turbo, and then a Jeep T5 and NP231 or even D300 t-case (plus many more options with adapters).

18 hours ago, datzenmike said:

The T-100 is ok, I've used one with the Z24. It's divorced from the L20B 4 or 5 speed so really any divorced trans case would also work.

Good deal. That was my thinking as well. Now if only I could find a reasonably priced L20B in Idaho or nearby.

5 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

The T100 case is a divorced case, and in such a short wheelbase rig you may have a hard time packaging it.

The second option I have never actually put together, but in theory, you should be able to use a T5 manual bellhousing out of a '83 280ZX turbo, and then a Jeep T5 and NP231 or even D300 t-case (plus many more options with adapters).

Stock the LJ20 is 14 inches shorter than a Samurai. I will be adding some length to add additional front seat leg room and allow grafting portions of some FJ40 rear quarters to incorporate the removable FJ40 hardtop pieces that were spares in my FJ40 days. It might be obvious that I picked up a Hobart 210 MVP last year and its like when you have a hammer and everything is a nail.

• Like 1

Is your D44 rear centered or offset? Either way, if you plan on driving it on the road, you probably want a CV joint installed at the output flange.

I found an L20B in Ontario, OR for $450. Stock number 13313, 1979 "Nissan" truck, North Verde Auto Salvage. Used car-part.com for search.

4 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Is your D44 rear centered or offset? Either way, if you plan on driving it on the road, you probably want a CV joint installed at the output flange.

I found an L20B in Ontario, OR for $450. Stock number 13313, 1979 "Nissan" truck, North Verde Auto Salvage. Used car-part.com for search.

Now that's good intel!! I am not sure if it is the one for me, but I was not aware of that search engine. For the last couple of weeks I have used craigslist, facebook, the local paper and Thrifty Nickle and only found deals that were not local and shipping sunk the deal. Ontario is close, but it is a holiday weekend. I see an Oregon visit in the coming weeks :)

I haven't decided on the position of the  Dana 44 pumpkin.  I need to see  how the T-case  lines up. The front Dana 30 will be centered or close to it.

One goal, in my custom creation is too, when possible, avoid custom parts. To shorten and center the  Dana 30 I use two short side axle. I would like to f ind  a similar solution for the Dana 44

• Like 1