Tie rod adjustment HELP! 620

TheROCKMAN1

I have a 1978 Datsun 620 that needs the alignment to be adjusted. The truck veers to the right. I have looked up videos on how to adjust it, but can't seem to find one that helps solve my problem. I am not sure how to adjust the single bar tie rod that is on the truck. Any replies are greatly appreciated!😁

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, datzenmike said:

It's called the 'cross rod' and links both L&R tie rods. Loosen the lock nuts on both sides and turn the cross rod. One way toes out..... the other toes in

It adjusts both at the same time so you will need to split the difference of what you feel the 1 side to be off. 

If you're trying to fix an off-center steering wheel, that's different from fixing a truck that pulls to one side.  Pulling is more likely caster or camber problem caused by bent or worn suspension parts: bushings, ball joints, tie rod ends; or a bad tire - smaller, edge worn, tapered tread, etc...   Swap tires left to right and see if it helps?  

Roads are crowned to the center so only makes sense a vehicle will wander to the right. However a toe out makes this even more pronounced. Was, or is, this truck lowered??? Lowering onside a narrow range of normal ride height will definitely change the toe and at extreme limits will cause camber changes. Before bothering with an alignment first get the vehicle to proper ride height.

• Like 1