Factory radio with CD player in glove box

Bodean

I've acquired a factory dash with no cracks and the factory radio ... should I put my CD player in the glove box and leave the factory one in place and jus wire it to light up for the factory look what is y'alls opinion 

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There isn't enough depth in the glove compartment to fit a cd player. You can fit a shallow mediaplayer in there, they're like half the depth of a normal one.

Other options:

-You could buy an amplifier with built in bluetooth and hide it under the seat or dash

-You can use an fm transmitter with bluetooth or aux and use your original radio

-You can hardwire an aux-in to your original radio.

-Buy a media player that looks retro like the retrosound ones, there are other ones as well.

• Thanks 1

The hardwire option is doable if you aren't scared of electronics.  You have to identify the amp chip in the radio, then identify the left and right speaker IN connections, then solder to those with the inputs from the aux port.

Or if its a tape deck just get a tape aux converter.  Super easy

• Thanks 1

You can buy a $10 bluetooth mod on amazon. It will plug right into the cigarette lighter. The quality really doesn't matter because the sound system is shit. Worked for me when I dailied mine for 3 years. 

Edited by MaxChlan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 6 months later...

Some of the factory radios has an input for an external tape deck, this can be used as an Aux-in with just a little work.  That way you can have a vintage deck where all the knobs work but listen to music in the modern manner.  You might see if your radio supports that, or consider getting one that does.

Look for a round  5-pin DIN connector on the back, that's usually the input. http://datsun1200.com/modules/mediawiki/index.php?title=Radio

If you put a modern deck in the glovebox, turning the volume up/down, etc. becomes annoying.  I've had slightly better luck with an under-the-seat mounting and just learn the controls by feel.

• Like 1