1967 Galaxie 500 Project, aka Jules

• Replies 886
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Got the left side caliper bracket mounted and aligned, and installed the rotor/hub. So that means it's time to see just how much drop we ended up with.  😁

As expected, it's 3.25" total drop up front.  👍

large.20200527_184037.jpg.1f89d4fbf3b0ae

large.20200527_184104.jpg.8522c2d4f7f999

large.20200527_184155.jpg.176a16107d6423

The rear could use another 1/2" or so, but that will be further down the road. Front crossmember is currently about 6" off the ground, aka about the same height as my jack...  😁

• Like 5
  • 2 weeks later...

The front sway bar is a laughably small 1/2" in diameter, and that would not do. There are aftermarket options for a 1" front bar for the princely sum of $200+, but that really wouldn't do either.  😄

As it turns out, since they didn't really change the design/geometry of the full-sized Ford's front suspension until the early 80s, there are options for OE upgrades out there. A friend of mine is in the midst of a resto-mod build on a '73 Ranchero and had recently purchased a '74 Torino as a parts donor for it. And also as it happens, the Torino has a bar that is the exact same shape as mine but is 15/16" in diameter. So for $40, now I have a front sway bar that is twice as thick as stock.  👍

After a scrub, and some paint...

large.20200610_173354.jpg.5cbbef9b4f9b73

Now I need to order up some urethane bushings for it and hopefully get it installed on Saturday...

• Like 2

Got the rear bumper back on, yes it's still wicked bent...

large.20200613_182219.jpg.1448f459eb3d45

It may just be all in my head, but I swear the added weight of that bumper lowered the back 1/2"...   😄

Got the front back up in the air so when my sway bar hardware shows up I can bang that out...  👍

Demonstrating the ever so slight difference in size...  😁

large.20200617_183519.jpg.2a271c9729f17e

If you have never tried to swap out sway bars on a car that is not disassembled, I do not recommend it.   😅

Getting the old one out only took two minutes. Getting the new one in took at least 20. And put lots of scratches in my freshly painted sway bar. And if I had done it before I installed my T/C rods, it would have taken about 30 seconds...

Got the end links installed, but could not use the stock frame bushing mounts. One, they are kind of a weird design that I don't like. Two, they are hell of wimpy...

large.20200617_191833.jpg.fc3002abfe0246

I will be moving them inboard about 2" so I can connect them directly to the frame. Hopefully I can get that knocked out next time I am there. Then it's on to getting the Explorer diff fitted...  👍

• Like 1
1 hour ago, dimlight65 said:

Or, y'know, install hood pins... tomato/tomato. 🤣

Well, installed the hinges, and then the hood...

large.20200627_180918.jpg.a8751aea8ac565

Which, as you mentioned, required doing Datzenmike's favorite mod...

large.20200627_180929.jpg.35348200226e05'

Stock latch was pretty well knackered, and I surely didn't want to trust it at 80mph, so...   😁

Made sure to get aluminium hood pins, to shave that extra 7 ounces of weight, and to make sure they don't rust...   😄

• Like 1
2 hours ago, datsunfreak said:

One thing is for sure, I don't think I will ever have to yell at anyone for leaning on it...  😁

"Have to?"  No.

"GET to."  Hell yeah!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Took almost 3 hours, but I did get the rear end out...

large.20200704_123950.jpg.d7272ed1b39c95

Luckily none of the bolts broke, but there was sooooooo much dirt/sand packed into everything. And every time I touched it, more fell on my face...

I ended up needing to use air tools on a few bolts, and that just created a giant sand storm...  😄

• Haha 1
On 7/6/2020 at 3:05 PM, dimlight65 said:

You ever get 10 seconds into a video and you're like "nah, this isn't for me", but you decide to give it a few more seconds to see if something will happen? And then three minutes later you realize nope, absolutely nothing is going to happen. This is just someone who just got a copy of Final Cut Pro and wanted to play around and do as many goofy edits as possible. 😄

• Haha 1
On 7/7/2020 at 4:23 PM, datsunfreak said:

You ever get 10 seconds into a video and you're like "nah, this isn't for me", but you decide to give it a few more seconds to see if something will happen? And then three minutes later you realize nope, absolutely nothing is going to happen. This is just someone who just got a copy of Final Cut Pro and wanted to play around and do as many goofy edits as possible. 😄

Oh yeah, the video is totally blowful.  No argument there.

Didn't really get any work done, just some head scratching/planning on how to best adapt the Explorer diff to the car. I think we have a solid plan in place, I just need to get some metal so we can make new brackets instead of cutting the old ones off the stock diff. 

We entertained the notion of converting to a proper 4 link instead of the stock 3 link/panhard rod arrangement, but I think we are going to stick with the stock design for now. Just slightly improved. 😁

• datsunfreak changed the title to 1967 Galaxie 500 Project, aka Jules