1967 Galaxie 500 Project

And as you may have noticed, I did cut the hole in such a way that there is a 1/8" gap all the way around it. That way if it vibrates, it doesn't bang into the metal. 

I'm going to get some sort of rubber edging to go around the hole to also make sure it doesn't rub/resonate on the inner fender...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Picked up some aluminum on Friday. Some L bracket for seat rails, and a big piece of sheet for the dash face...

20210716_134110.jpg.18aff3f07000b4b9f3fdf6c683970f18.jpg

Decided to get started on the dash face. Used the CAD face I made a awhile back... 

20210717_105256.jpg.005eb908b68ee5675b5fee17fb6321e8.jpg

Pattern traced and ready to cut...

20210717_110244.jpg.c1dee40fa49ef25191baa06dfc802d5a.jpg

Got it all trimmed and bent...

20210718_123129.jpg.3ee832705d2b5552fa0e7a8cf7e62d4e.jpg

The idea is to cover the stock gauge housing without blocking any of it's attachment points. That worked out. Now I need to work out how to attach it to the stock piece, and I am still trying to decide on gauges/layout...

I have a speedo and tach and a oil/water/fuel gauges. Problem is my speedo is mechanical and my trans is not. So it's either splash out a bunch of green on one of these, or just run a tach and no speedo. Tach only is definitely more racecar...

• Like 1
17 hours ago, datsunfreak said:

Tach only is definitely more racecar...

True that, and totally dead center in your face!

You could use a GPS navigation device (Garmin etc.) that will give you speed for those times when you just gotta know how fast you were going before the nice police officer pulled you over... 🤣

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, EDM620 said:

You could use a GPS navigation device (Garmin etc.) that will give you speed for those times when you just gotta know how fast you were going before the nice police

officer pulled you over... 🤣

I have a GPS speedo on my phone, so I was thinking if I go this way I'd just add a phone mount somewhere in my line of sight. 👍

24 minutes ago, datsunfreak said:

I have a GPS speedo on my phone, so I was thinking if I go this way I'd just add a phone mount somewhere in my line of sight. 👍

I think one of us should have the balls to say "Because racecar!" and build a street car without a speedo.  This gets my vote.

And that's totally not so I can call "Dibs!" on the speedo for the N-600. 

• Like 1

So, after some thinking, I decided I do not want to cut a bunch of holes in the aluminum panel for gauges. Why? Well, it seems like it would be a nightmare to wire up because I couldn't install the panel until it was all wired. Yeah, fuck that...

So since I have some carbon fiber sheet, I cut up a piece of it to see how we go...

20210720_174309.jpg.61e993a1adfd72968cb9af6d50176169.jpg

I like this, but couldn't get it centered how I wanted. So it was decided, speedo (phone) goes on the left, and make it two pieces...

20210720_180053.jpg.0613108f42f198dabd47da41feb04868.jpg

Big piece contains all the gauges, small piece gets the switches...

20210720_182607.jpg.4c16690843deb4ba8a222d3cb26b1fd1.jpg

So this way I can cut two whopping great holes in the aluminum panel and install it now. Then when I wire it up, I can just feed the wires through those two big square holes and connect everything, then screw the carbon panels down when it's done. 

• Like 1

If I use that right piece, I may slide it over a bit more to the right so I can fit an ignition switch and starter button between them. Or...

Instead of toggle switches in that panel, I may get one of these or one of these, so I can use rocker switches instead. Then the ignition switch and starter button go below that, along with probably a couple of USB charging ports...

Edited by datsunfreak
On 7/20/2021 at 8:37 PM, datsunfreak said:

If I use that right piece, I may slide it over a bit more to the right so I can fit an ignition switch and starter button between them. Or...

Instead of toggle switches in that panel, I may get one of these or one of these, so I can use rocker switches instead. Then the ignition switch and starter button go below that, along with probably a couple of USB charging ports...

I like this plan.  My vote is the first "one of these" up above.  Or, as we discussed, one with more switches for... um, whatever we were talking about needing more switches.  Sort of thing.

1 hour ago, dimlight65 said:

I like this plan.  My vote is the first "one of these" up above.  Or, as we discussed, one with more switches for... um, whatever we were talking about needing more switches.  Sort of thing.

I took some measurements and it looks like the 8 switch panel will fit, so I am going that way so I will have 1-2 extra for some "future-proofing"...

61G4W59NorL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

• Like 1