1967 Galaxie 500 Project, aka Jules

• Replies 886
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 4/19/2021 at 4:51 AM, datsunfreak said:

I am currently looking at using a product called coroplast. I think it is stiff enough to do the job while still being very light weight. That, wrapped in faux suede, is my current plan, but I am open to other ideas. 

Just wondering aloud how glue would stick to the plastic.  Maybe rough up the surface with some 120 grit first?...

On 4/19/2021 at 5:03 AM, datsunfreak said:

So they could be used for door panels, but maybe not a roof panel...

May have to experiment with one and see if the heat makes it sag too much...

For headliner you could make up the panels, build a tool to hold them in place, apply adhesive, install headliner and tool, park the car in the hot Texas sun for a day or two and let the free heat form the plastic, then shade from sun and heat until adhesive cures, remove tool and enjoy.

Edited by Racer X 69
On 4/25/2021 at 1:03 PM, Racer X 69 said:

For headliner you could make up the panels, build a tool to hold them in place, apply adhesive, install headliner and tool, park the car in the hot Texas sun for a day or two and let the free heat form the plastic, then shade from sun and heat until adhesive cures, remove tool and enjoy.

This is good, but you've given me another idea as well. It could simply be laid on the roof whilst curing with the corners pinned down. Then no real tool is necessary. 👍

• Like 2
13 hours ago, EDM620 said:

Durable and lightweight, I'd want to have lots of fasteners or maybe double side sticky tape onto the doors though as I think you'd have lots of drumming in that application.

That is the plan. 6-8 screws around the perimeter and double-stick tape in key places in the middle.  👍

I also have some sticky-backed felt that works wonders for cutting down on "drumming". 

On 4/25/2021 at 1:03 PM, Racer X 69 said:

Just remembered. Can't install it unless it's flexible.  😄  

Weather did not cooperate with the floor pan repairs so I instead tried to swap the tumbler out in the stock ignition switch with a new one I had that was keyed to the door.

That pissed me off, so I tossed it and will do something different...  😁

I am thinking that I will use a master kill as an ignition switch mounted to the dash face...

51ifRohGxML._AC_SY355_.jpg

On 5/1/2021 at 7:10 PM, EDM620 said:

Well it is removeable like a key...

That was my thinking. And it's not like any thief is going to be carrying one of these around. And it's not like I wouldn't hide another kill switch somewhere else...  😄

Besides, if you know what you are doing, you can can hotwire any old car with a non-locking column in 2 minutes anyway. A lock exists to keep an honest man honest...

• Like 2

Its especially nice that many old key switches actually label what the the wires do for you, so you can hotwire them even if you aren't completely familiar with them. I did that just saturday on my Travelall to see if I could get the IH 345 running.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Lockleaf said:

Its especially nice that many old key switches actually label what the the wires do for you, so you can hotwire them even if you aren't completely familiar with them. I did that just saturday on my Travelall to see if I could get the IH 345 running.

On stuff like that, I just run a jumper from the battery to the coil, then another one to the start post. 😁

• Like 1
11 hours ago, datsunfreak said:

Besides, if you know what you are doing, you can can hotwire any old car with a non-locking column in 2 minutes anyway. A lock exists to keep an honest man honest...

LOL, that reminded me of my misspent youth - I used to "borrow" a neighbors car regularly that had the ignition in the dash, kept 2 short wires in my pocket...

23 hours ago, datsunfreak said:

That was my thinking. And it's not like any thief is going to be carrying one of these around. And it's not like I wouldn't hide another kill switch somewhere else...  😄

Also, I keep forgetting the car has a removable steering wheel,, so...  😄

8 hours ago, datsunfreak said:

Also, I keep forgetting the car has a removable steering wheel,, so...  😄

Don't forget the biggest anti-theft option... three pedals.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I am kinda going off the deep end on the weight loss thing here...  😋

I decided to say fuck any sort of headliner, but I still wanted some kind of dome light. After discussing it with my wife one day, she surprised me by ordering several of these little 3/4" waterproof LED lights...

1927553750_51fIVMFxDL._AC_SL1500_.jpg.6603796be631ab3e93fcbffd4979b29a.jpg

I wanted them to go in the roof rails on either side so I wasted the better part of an hour trying to run a stringer wire down the side of the roof to the kick panels. If you do it correctly, the wires go in here...

583204273_shopstuff(3).jpg.4492bf14c926eabbd68a821a94557044.jpg

And come out here...

35047873_shopstuff(1).jpg.7810a77f829cd71632555393570aafab.jpg

Of course, doing that took about 10 tries on the left side and maybe 20 tries on the right...  😄

Hopefully I can get them installed next time and maybe give them a test fire. We did hook one up to a battery and it is VERY bright...

Edited by datsunfreak
  • Like 3
5 hours ago, datsunfreak said:

VERY bright...

If they're dimmable, problem solved otherwise you could wire them in groups to achieve different light levels... or use diffusers or bounce the light off the headliner (oh but you won't have one) 😁

9 hours ago, EDM620 said:

If they're dimmable, problem solved otherwise you could wire them in groups to achieve different light levels... or use diffusers or bounce the light 

No worries. I wanted something small but really bright, so these fit the bill nicely. 

I am trying to decide now if I want them on a dash switch, or a door pin switch, or both. The door pin might be best because I could wire the left side to only come on when you open the left door, and same for right. I think that might be kinda neat...

13 hours ago, datsunfreak said:

I could wire the left side to only come on when you open the left door, and same for right.

Good idea, and be able to turn all on for moments when full illumination is needed, like when your phone falls on the floor! Maybe some low level light to focus light on the floor.

• datsunfreak changed the title to 1967 Galaxie 500 Project, aka Jules