1967 Galaxie 500 Project, aka Jules

The shine would be easier to clean, and a more matte finish will show leaks.  

Then again...

The shine would be easier to clean, BUT a more matte finish will show leaks.  

Coming from the race car world, I would opt for showing where potential problems are. (Of course, I pushed for dove grey for this very reason.)

Coming from the car magazine world, I understand that John might be more inclined to go the other way.

• Replies 865
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Since you asked, I'd go with the shiny just for easier to keep clean as I'm sure you'll deal quickly with any leaks ASAP anyway, besides once a matte surface gets stained it'll always look like it recently shit itself.

Finished touching up all the spots I missed, including painting the trans tunnel and the frame horns that the trans mount attaches to. Also painted and reinstalled the hood hinge mounting plates...

20210410_122216.jpg.de0f64d1057631cb8c7bebc9f8e250f3.jpg

Also reinstalled the wiper cowl panel, but forgot to show you that...

And yes, there's a lot of pollen dust on the stuff I painted last week. Gotta love spring in Texas...

And if you think I missed a spot on the bottom of the firewall, that's actually a reflection of the ground...  😄

Edited by datsunfreak
  • Like 1

That was done ostensibly to paint the interior roof. So I got it all ready to go... And then decided not to...  😁

20210414_183737.jpg.ad990b4ba521d55cfb8ffededbe25c87.jpg

See, after going back and forth on the glossy paint in the engine bay (after initially wanting satin paint), I decided it was best not to make that "mistake" in here. I'm going to go ahead and paint the floor with the POR-15 I have left, then get some in satin black to paint the roof. The floor will likely be covered with carpet eventually, but the roof will be visible while driving, so...

• Like 3

Yea I wouldn't do glossy black for the roof, and frankly I wouldn't do black either - a lighter color would make it feel more "open".

Not that you were really asking for opinions...

Are those roof supports still bonded to the skin?

12 hours ago, EDM620 said:

Are those roof supports still bonded to the skin?

The big one across the middle is still solidly bonded. 👍

The small one from front to back is definitely not.  😁

Trying to decide if I want to try and push it back up into place, or just cut it out. Thoughts?

12 hours ago, EDM620 said:

Yea I wouldn't do glossy black for the roof, and frankly I wouldn't do black either - a lighter color would make it feel more "open".

Not that you were really asking for opinions...

I always appreciate the opinion offering, and I get what you mean, but I like the coziness of black. This is a BIG car, maybe the biggest I've ever owned, and "shrinking" this interior a bit couldn't hurt...  😁

And if I am being honest, I feel like anything but satin black draws too much attention to the "unfinished" look of bare metal everywhere...

If you bond the support back to the roof at least you can reduce the tin canning/humming that often comes from unupholstered roofs.  A bottle or screw jack and a 2x4 should be enough to push it back up to the roof skin while your favorite bonding agent dries, or maybe a couple of them.  Paint it black.  It's paint.  You end up not liking it, paint over it.  I love all black interiors.  But I also have blackout curtains on every window in my home so I can decide if its daytime or not. Although, now that I'm saying all this, it occurs to me that the "stainless steel" rattle can paint made by duplicolor might make a cool headliner color.  I really like that paint and it held up surprisingly well when I refinished some interior panels in my subaru with it.  Stuff was almost the exact color of the factory subaru panel, so it looked great.

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, Lockleaf said:

If you bond the support back to the roof at least you can reduce the tin canning/humming that often comes from unupholstered roofs.

Indeed.  👍

If I can fashion a dome light mount for the center support, I may make a "headliner" that just goes from edge to edge, and just leave the edges exposed. I think I could make it tuck up into the roof to support the edges, but I'd need a dome light to keep the center from drooping. 

I love all black interiors.  

Same.  😁

it occurs to me that the "stainless steel" rattle can paint made by duplicolor might make a cool headliner color.  I really like that paint and it held up surprisingly well when I refinished some interior panels in my subaru with it.  Stuff was almost the exact color of the factory subaru panel, so it looked great.

If it's the color I am thinking of (not quite silver, not quite charcoal) I do dig that. I have used that before on some stuff and it looked really good. 

It was used on the bumper/grill/mirrors on this car...

97e09fdc4a7a0b9024cf3c981e95b8cf.jpg

Edited by datsunfreak
  • Like 2

Yeah, its that kind of color with hints of metallic.  This was painted with the stainless steel for an idea of the color.

20190108_004208-jpg.1873519

My father bought me a custom auto interior book years back. In that, these hot rod guys built custom headliners out of thin fiberboard.  They glued panels to each other and even overlapped them and then would sand them back to a smoothish finish before upholstering.  I've never been able to find someone using that technique in a youtube video though or I would link that idea.

• Like 1

Removed the rest of the interior parts, so now it's just all metal inside. Went over the floor with a wire wheel and got all the scale/dirt loose, then went over it with a vacuum like 5 times, then started putting down some POR-15...

20210417_124727.jpg.692beb8e85acdbe954b2090ed4bd65b4.jpg

In case it isn't obvious from that photo, I went ahead and cut out the really bad rust spots so I can start patching the floor. It needed to be done anyway, and it made a convenient way to be able to stand inside the car while painting...   😁

• Like 3
On 4/16/2021 at 12:21 PM, datsunfreak said:

bond the support back to the roof at least you can reduce the tin canning/humming

That is what I would have said also. Glue that sucker up, don't cut it out.

On 4/16/2021 at 3:43 PM, Lockleaf said:

hot rod guys built custom headliners out of thin fiberboard

Yup, great way to do that,  plus you can overlay that with any vinyl, suede, faux Cheetah or Rhino butt. Kinda endless possibilities, more creative fun too.

Question - given the Texas heat, wouldn't an all-black metal roof right over your head just be like sticking your head in an oven?

On 4/17/2021 at 11:17 PM, EDM620 said:

Question - given the Texas heat, wouldn't getting into a 55 year old car with no A/C in the summer be just like sticking your head in an oven?

Fixed.   😁

But the color on the outside matters more in the heat. Not the inside. The color/material of the seating surfaces and steering wheel would be far more important. 

On 4/16/2021 at 4:43 PM, Lockleaf said:

My father bought me a custom auto interior book years back. In that, these hot rod guys built custom headliners out of thin fiberboard.  They glued panels to each other and even overlapped them and then would sand them back to a smoothish finish before upholstering.

I have thought along similar lines, but I am more concerned about finding a good balance between minimal weight and adequate strength. I am currently looking at using a product called coroplast. I think it is stiff enough to do the job while still being very light weight. That, wrapped in faux suede, is my current plan, but I am open to other ideas. 

Edited by datsunfreak
18 minutes ago, datsunfreak said:

I am currently looking at using a product called coroplast. I think it is stiff enough to do the job while still being very light weight. 

Or not...

Do not leave the Corrugated sheets in direct sun or in a hot car; they will bow or bend if not laying flat.

So they could be used for door panels, but maybe not a roof panel...

May have to experiment with one and see if the heat makes it sag too much...

Edited by datsunfreak
2 hours ago, Lockleaf said:

Maybe one thin layer of fiberglass and resin over the coroplast once it is in place to hold the shape firm?

I don't think there would be a way to do it once it was in place? Could just make the panel out of one thin sheet of fiberglass?   😁

And I might just get a piece of coroplast and leave it out in the sun for a few weeks just to see how "floppy" it gets...

FWIW, I had a sign in my yard made of this stuff that was up for almost a year and it never sagged, so they may just be covering their butts with that disclaimer...

A while back, I had a 1200 sedan project that had very rusty floors. That ended up being sold to a friend who turned it into a tube-framed drag car (i know, I know), but I did buy replacement floor pans for it that I kept. Since they were just taking up space, and I needed some floor, well...  😁

20210421_182517.jpg.14c35e673e4cab8d5164d0a890f0dab1.jpg

This was the back half of the pans (rear seat foot area). I saved the front half of the pans in case Tim wants to use them in his 1200, which also had some rust in the front floor area...

I have some ideas on attachment of the new metal, which I will not share due to their potentially "ghetto" nature. This piece is almost purely cosmetic to keep critters and water out... 😁

• Like 1
  • datsunfreak changed the title to 1967 Galaxie 500 Project, aka Jules