My Tan D21 work horse

Icehouse

Needed a truck with 4 wheel drive after me and my bro bought 10 acres.  I had to get a Nissan of coarse, and I wanted a small truck.  So the obvious choice was the D21 IMO the best Nissan truck ever made.  So durable!  If Frank couldn't kill his that's saying something!!  After a few different beater trucks I realized that the smart thing to do was sell the junkers and wait for one worth fixing if it broke showed up on CL.  I went back and forth between wanted a V6 or a 4 banger.  In the end I didn't want to deal with timing belts and the VG truck I had wasn't any faster then the NapZ truck I ended up buying.  Finally after looking of months I found and bought this truck.  1986.5 vin 5k with 61k on it when I bought it.  Its got some wear but nice for such an old truck.  

APeymz2.jpg

k55xciH.jpg

It's also cool it's the same color as my bro's truck! He got his stuck!!  

CoYZEQM.jpg

Got mine stuck in the same spot!!!  Need some mud tires.  Not sure If I'm going to get the BFG KM2's or the Good year MTS with Kevlar.  Don't want this happening again!!  Maybe even get a Pathfinder LSD.   

WUdmJqU.jpg

Our property came with an owl!  

lwcwMLe.jpg

XlNeAnp.jpg

Ditched the dumb brush bumper and picked up a later rack.  

Yd2nGFT.jpg

It was going to bea temporary rack, but it's to damn handy.  So I decide this 100 dollar rack need some love.  So I shortened it and added some tie down points.  

4jdvAt3.jpg

RtjXYht.jpg

sXdc58D.jpg

also made it adjusable to hold tires.  

mgCsNWy.jpg

It did have one issue I still haven't figured out.  It sometimes doesn't want to start.  I seems like a bad TPS but haven't put a new one on it yet.   I need to get to the wrecking yard and get one.  I used AAA to get it home due to cutting out.  Turned out the be more then just the TPS.  The exhaust plugs were in the wrong firing order.  This was the first drive I took it on after I bought it.  I think I didn't notice it because the way home from oregon it was all over 3k which I've heard the exhaust plugs turn off?  I did notice a miss when test driving it.  anyways its sorted.  

MAIkK7S.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, ]2eDeYe said:

Needs a pathfinder LSD and a set of 31" MTRs 😄

The BFG's are avalible in 30" and 1" narrower then the MTR's.  I worry since my truck came stock with 28.9" tires that the 31's will make it to slow.  I did the gear calculator and it doesn't look good with 31's to be honest 30's might be a bit big.   

4 hours ago, carterb said:

Admit it - you were just jealous of my tan truck!  : )

That too! 

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/19/2020 at 2:40 PM, dukerollo said:

Clean little truck. Any updates on it?

Got new wheels and tires.  The wheels are just SE wheels I had powder coated black.  The tire are BFG's.  The old tires were really old, which makes sense since the truck only had 61k on it when I bought it.  Now it has 72k!  The new tires have 2 more plies then the old ones.  You sure can tell when hauling anything heavy or towing our little trailer.  I just buffed it a few days ago.  Sure shines up great!  Plus on the computer you can't notice any of the dings and small dents 🙂

EcmoxIh.jpg

• Like 5
On 4/10/2020 at 1:37 PM, Icehouse said:

Got new wheels and tires.  The wheels are just SE wheels I had powder coated black.  The tire are BFG's.  The old tires were really old, which makes sense since the truck only had 61k on it when I bought it.  Now it has 72k!  The new tires have 2 more plies then the old ones.  You sure can tell when hauling anything heavy or towing our little trailer.  I just buffed it a few days ago.  Sure shines up great!  Plus on the computer you can't notice any of the dings and small dents 🙂

EcmoxIh.jpg

Man that D21 is in greeat shape. looking good.

On 4/12/2020 at 6:20 PM, mrbigtanker said:

Man that D21 is in greeat shape. looking good.

Thanks.  For an 86 it is in killer shape.  I want to get the bumpers and ladder rack powder coated to match the wheels.  Then it would really look slick.  

On 4/12/2020 at 6:59 PM, dukerollo said:

How do you like those headlights? Are they the eBay specials or the name brand ones? I am still rocking the sealed beams and they are trash. 

I get flashed sometimes because they are so bright!  I need to aim them down maybe.  Since I don't daily drive it I haven't gotten around to it.  I use it only for truck things.  The sealed beams I had were so dim it was pathetic.  Turns out after buying the LED's my headlight switch was bad....  The sealed beams were only getting 8v!  So I bought a brand new Nissan head light switch from the Stealership.  only 20 more bucks then the after market unit which I bought at first, turned out to also be bad in a different way.....  I think someone may have done the old swappy swappy to save some dollars and I got their junk unit.  O yeah... And the first set of headlights had a bad bulb.. So I also had to return those for a new set.  Was a long project.  

Just hit 75K on a trip going to pick this up.  Just gotta collect all the parts to put it in my truck.  Got a bell housing for the 71C hopefully that position it nice and close to the firewall.  Hopefully I don't have to move the transmission.  If so it will be worth it for 200HP and 188 Torque.  Compared to the NAPZ 106hp and 137 Torque.  It's been a great truck but it needs more power.  So painfully slow.  If this isn't enough power I will upgrade to a 30A and a turbo RB.  

GjC9F89.jpg

RPSR9oz.jpg

It sure has been a good rig though!  

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...
15 minutes ago, bilzbobaggins said:

And then what happened?

I haven't done anything.  I can't make up my mind.  I keep thinking the VG supercharged would be best because it's 100% bolt in.  But turbo would be cool too. 

• Like 2