Newbie Datsun transmission question - possible repost

frankendat

I am unsure of the appropriate time to wait for moderator approval, before deciding the original post is lost to the net and reposting. If this appears in your moderator que and is my second posting, then please delete.

When discussing Datsun transmissions that attach to L-series engines, sometime the term "Drop pan transmission" is used. Are all Datsun transmissions that attach to L-series drop pan? If not, how do identify a drop pan transmission?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All I see in your history is this one post.

The F4W63 and the F4W63L 4 speed has a removable bottom pan to gain access it the insides. It was used on L16/18 and L20B engines and also on the J13 engine in the '66-'69 520/L521 truck and the '80-'81 A10 with Z20 engine. To fit the J and the Z series engines a different bolt pattern is cast into the case than an L series. The F4W63 comes in two lengths 26" and a 31.5" used only on the L series engines in the 610 and trucks and station wagons use a wide ratio gear set while cars use a mid ratio set..  

Lf7AWKG.jpg

NBsQkCv.jpg

5 minutes ago, frankendat said:

It sounds from your post that 26" 4 speeds are rare. Is there a method, aside from physically measuring, to determine whether or not the transmission is 26"? I search a lot online and length is usually not mentioned in ads.

The older 63 series 4 spds aren't rare....

They might be getting rare or hard to find because everyone throws them away..... 

Are you trying to find one?

21 hours ago, datzenmike said:

All I see in your history is this one post.

The F4W63 and the F4W63L 4 speed has a removable bottom pan to gain access it the insides. It was used on L16/18 and L20B engines and also on the J13 engine in the '66-'69 520/L521 truck and the '80-'81 A10 with Z20 engine. To fit the J and the Z series engines a different bolt pattern is cast into the case than an L series. The F4W63 comes in two lengths 26" and a 31.5" used only on the L series engines in the 610 and trucks and station wagons use a wide ratio gear set while cars use a mid ratio set.. 

To be clear only the 610 got the long 31.5" 4 speed. I have a picture of one new from the Nissan dealer and only the tail section is longer. I would say these are quite rare.

2EGsY9X.jpg

Hainz tells the story where he threw out 3 of these short four speeds beside his driveway with a FREE sign and went to work. When he got home there were 4 of them. They were common and hard to give away.

The 26 inch is then common? That is good news!

Here is a long shot - I have a Jeep T-15 3-speed with cane shift lever.Transmission needs rebuilt (seized, but gears appear undamaged - surface rust) and an unopened transmission rebuild kit for the T-15

https://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/transmission/transmission-parts/t15-parts/

For a  26 inch 4 speed that attaches to a L20B and a comparable rebuild kit. 

I'm in Boise, Idaho 83702

21 minutes ago, frankendat said:

The 26 inch is then common? That is good news!

Here is a long shot - I have a Jeep T-15 3-speed with cane shift lever.Transmission needs rebuilt (seized, but gears appear undamaged - surface rust) and an unopened transmission rebuild kit for the T-15

https://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/transmission/transmission-parts/t15-parts/

For a  26 inch 4 speed that attaches to a L20B and a comparable rebuild kit. 

I'm in Boise, Idaho 83702

I wasn't clear. I am offering to trade my Jeep T15(in serious need of rebuild) and rebuild kit for a 26 inch 4 speed that attaches to an  L20B and comparable rebuild kit (or documented rebuilt 26 inch 4 speed that attaches to an  L20B). Since this is not a place for Jeeps,I knew it was a long shot, but to someone with transmission skills a professionally rebuilt T-15  is worth considerably more than a professionally rebuilt Datsun 4 speed (according to Google)

3 hours ago, iceman510 said:

I'll give you a 4 speed (or two if you want) if you pay shipping.

WOW, that would be awesome! What would be the shipping cost for one to zip 83702 (price will determine whether I can afford both).

And do you accept paypal?

Thanks again

14 hours ago, frankendat said:

WOW, that would be awesome! What would be the shipping cost for one to zip 83702 (price will determine whether I can afford both).

And do you accept paypal?

Thanks again

I will look into this over the weekend.  I do have a paypal account.  It will likely be FedEx ground as I have an account with them.

Hey again, sorry I did not get to this over the weekend.  Might be a few more day until I can.  I will try tonight.  Also, I am gone this holiday weekend to visit relatives, so if not by Friday it will be next week.  Too much to do, but I won't forget you.