How screwed is my transmission?

TimmyG

Picked up this truck not running so was not able to drive it to test the transmission. Here's what I found when I pulled the trans drain plug....and the first bit of oil that drained out might have resembled metallic paint. The latter half of the oil looked like normal clean gear oil. How screwed should I expect it to be? Haha.hIA75t3.jpg8kM5qiF.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Normal, some wear is to be expected. Often just a black paste. I've pulled them out with ball bearings stuck to them, once a piece of bearing race and recently with a piece of oil gutter that went through the gears.   

Wipe it clean so you have a gauge for the next time it comes out.                           

• Like 2

Well now I feel better. I wasn't too worried, but this is the worst I've seen. I guess I've never really worked on a badly abused transmission, tho. 

My shifter doesn't snap back to the center when pushed into the 1-2 gate and released. Anything I can easily do about this? It snaps back to center when pushed into the 5-R gate and released. 

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, TimmyG said:

Well now I feel better. I wasn't too worried, but this is the worst I've seen. I guess I've never really worked on a badly abused transmission, tho. 

My shifter doesn't snap back to the center when pushed into the 1-2 gate and released. Anything I can easily do about this? It snaps back to center when pushed into the 5-R gate and released. 

I had that issue..... there is a bolt with a spring behind it..... 

Honest change the fluid and drive it, work the shifter back and forth and it should loosen up..... getting that bolt out while installed in the vehicle is kind of hard....

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, Crashtd420 said:

Its located behind this ....

Screenshot-20190819-172339-Gallery.jpg

Trans is currently sitting on my garage floor. Not in vehicle. So are you saying replace the spring or just clean out the area the spring sits? 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, TimmyG said:

Trans is currently sitting on my garage floor. Not in vehicle. So are you saying replace the spring or just clean out the area the spring sits? 

Oh even better.. yes remove that cap ( not really a bolt) 

There is a spring and a small piston thing inside ... use some wd40 or pb blast and let it soak in.... then just work the shift left and right and get it to move around..... I'm not sure if you can actually get the little piston out or not.... fyi I have no idea what any of those parts are actually called.... 

• Like 1
15 hours ago, TimmyG said:

I think you'll find that the shifter is meant to return to thee 3/4 position in the neutral gate. The 'plunger' cap has a raised ridge running horizontally and is spring loaded. The striking rod has a matching horizontal groove it fits into and only lines up in the 2/3 shifter position. Shifting right towards 5/R forces the plunger out of the groove and against the spring, shifting left towards 1/2 does the same thing. If you think about it, this helps the 2 to 3 shift miss going into first and 'points the way' into the next gear but resists going too far right into the 5th/R gate. True there is some slight resistance going into 5th but you know you are going there. Down shifting from 5th gives a left assist into the 3/4 gate and avoids reverse but slight resistance from going into the 1/2 gate. I think I shimmed mine with a small bolt to make the pull into the 3/4 gate slightly stronger. Push forwards out of 2nd and the shifter jumps to the right into the 3/4 gate. Pull out of 5th and it jumps left into the 3/4.

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

I think you'll find that the shifter is meant to return to thee 3/4 position in the neutral gate. The 'plunger' cap has a raised ridge running horizontally and is spring loaded. The striking rod has a matching horizontal groove it fits into and only lines up in the 2/3 shifter position. Shifting right towards 5/R forces the plunger out of the groove and against the spring, shifting left towards 1/2 does the same thing. If you think about it, this helps the 2 to 3 shift miss going into first and 'points the way' into the next gear but resists going too far right into the 5th/R gate. True there is some slight resistance going into 5th but you know you are going there. Down shifting from 5th gives a left assist into the 3/4 gate and avoids reverse but slight resistance from going into the 1/2 gate. I think I shimmed mine with a small bolt to make the pull into the 3/4 gate slightly stronger. Push forwards out of 2nd and the shifter jumps to the right into the 3/4 gate. Pull out of 5th and it jumps left into the 3/4.

Yeah, I was just saying it doesn't return to that position when you release it after pushing it left into the 1-2 gate neutral position. Feels worn out and would like to correct it. 

• Like 1

I find  the spring softer to return in the 1/2 than if in the 5th/R. I guess the 1/2 gets more use.  The spring under the cap us quite strong but like I said I shimmed mine. If there is any wear on the button under the spring flipping it 180 would make the 5th/R a bit softer and the 1/2 firmer? Maybe. 

• Like 2
17 hours ago, TimmyG said:

Yes, clean it out and then shim it up a bit. Small washers make good shims for increasing the pressure on the plunger.

• Like 2