Blank 521 VIN plates?

320 Newb

I did a run of blank 320 VIN plates because I needed one for my build and thought others might as well. If there's enough interest I'd be happy to do a run of 521 blanks as well. Below is a stock 320 plate and the blank repop above it. It's made from a high res scan so it's not an approximation made with modern fonts. It's about as close to a stock plate as you can get printed by a local trophy shop. 

If anyone's interested let me know. Also if anyone can post pics stock 521 VIN plates in this thread that'd be amazing.

blank-vin.jpg

• Like 5
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks Greaser2!

I'm not a 521 guy so forgive me if this is a dumb question but didn't 521s come with a few different motor types not just L16s? Like J motors? Are the plates printed differently for those trucks? Also what does the PL stand for? Are all 521 plates printed with the PL prefix on the 521? 

• Like 1

I believe the "P" stood for the "Premium" L-1600 OHC engine.

The 1300 engine 521 trucks were just L521 in the USA.

This is the owner's manual that came with PL521-355167, purchased July 30, 1970.

The TU (H) is a suffux that indicated the type of emission equipment on the truck and engine.

Manual.JPG

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Crashtd420 said:

Yes earlier ones have the j motor.... I think they got the l16 in the 70 model....

The pl prefix i believe stands for left hand drive.....

I would assume there would be some differences to the way the plate was printed....

I've heard that before, but just the L part referring to left hand drive. L320 (USA) vs 320 (Japan).

15 hours ago, 320 Newb said:

I did a run of blank 320 VIN plates because I needed one for my build and thought others might as well. If there's enough interest I'd be happy to do a run of 521 blanks as well. Below is a stock 320 plate and the blank repop above it. It's made from a high res scan so it's not an approximation made with modern fonts. It's about as close to a stock plate as you can get printed by a local trophy shop. 

If anyone's interested let me know. Also if anyone can post pics stock 521 VIN plates in this thread that'd be amazing.

blank-vin.jpg

You should leave the engine designation completely blank, so guys who have a swapped in engine can stamp that engine type and number.

• Like 4

So if I print blank plates it sounds like I should leave the space before the 521 in the Type field blank for people to stamp how they want. And leave the Engine No. area blank for people to stamp that how they want as well.

I'll work on a draft and post it up for feedback.

• Like 4

It sounds like there's enough interest for me to do a run. They'd be $40 each, shipped to US, $45 shipped international. Gene Knight if you buy 3 I'll go $30 a piece. I'm not going to ask for money until I have them in hand but payment would be via PayPal. I'll send them out after payment confirmation comes in. 

If someone can double check these dimensions that'd be great: 3.910" by 2.705" 

If someone could get me the hole spacing measurement off the engine bay that'd also be helpful. 

• Like 4

I can pull hole spacing out of the engine bay tomorrow for you and some other dimensions

FYI: http://www.zzxdatsun.com/catDecals.php

pictures from this morning edit:

reference:

ZGOuOFh.jpg

4" across for the size of the plate:

4sFxFJ7.jpg

2.75" height:

8DYGbwo.jpg

hole locations measured 3.75" from outside edge:

A2fgq8u.jpg

2.5" for height measurted on the outside

QjhARhU.jpg

save the images or right click on them and "open in new tab" if you're on google chrome and you can zoom way in.

Edited by BrothersGarage
  • Like 2
14 hours ago, 320 Newb said:

It sounds like there's enough interest for me to do a run. They'd be $40 each, shipped to US, $45 shipped international. Gene Knight if you buy 3 I'll go $30 a piece. I'm not going to ask for money until I have them in hand but payment would be via PayPal. I'll send them out after payment confirmation comes in. 

If someone can double check these dimensions that'd be great: 3.910" by 2.705" 

If someone could get me the hole spacing measurement off the engine bay that'd also be helpful. 

I can mic mine but not till I get home on Friday. 

• Like 2
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...