Which clutch and throwout bearing combo

athoose

I've got two throwout bearing collars, 30501-0H600 and 30501-N1600, one of which,  I'm trying to use with an L16(5bolt, 200mm flywheel). Can anyone recommend a 200mm clutch kit that uses one of these collars? Or a 73 620 200mm clutch kit with the collar included? 

Going in a 73 620 with an 80 4x4 5speed.

Thanks! 

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That 4wd 5spd may not have a speedo drive in it unless someone put a 2wd 5spd in it as a replacement when their 4wd transmission failed.

Throw out bearing collars are determined by what flywheel/clutch cover you have, the 1980 likely has a 6 bolt 225mm flywheel/clutch cover/disc, a 200mm flywheel is likely 5 bolt and will not bolt onto a 1980 engine.

5 bolt flywheels are L16 and L18 all others are 6 bolt.

The clutch diameter depends on the pressure plate mounting bolt holes on the flywheel surface.

5 bolt crank L16 use 200mm

5 bolt crank L18s almost always use a 200mm but there is one exception that uses a 225mm.

All 6 bolt crank flywheels below will interchange.

6 bolt crank L20Bs and Z20s cars use a 200mm

6 bolt crank L20B and Z22s in trucks use a 225mm

6 bolt crank Z22 in cars use a 225mm

6 bolt crank Z20 and Z24 trucks use a 240mm

6 bolt crank KA24s in cars are 225mm

6 bolt crank KA24s in trucks are 240mm

1 hour ago, athoose said:

I've got two throwout bearing collars, 30501-0H600 and 30501-N1600, one of which,  I'm trying to use with an L16(5bolt, 200mm flywheel). Can anyone recommend a 200mm clutch kit that uses one of these collars? Or a 73 620 200mm clutch kit with the collar included? 

Going in a 73 620 with an 80 4x4 5speed.

Thanks! 

N1600 is for a 225mm pressure plate. You sure it isn't N1601??? that for a 521/510 and '73 L16 200mm pressure plate.

0H600 is for a 225mm or 240mm KA in a 240sx or D21

3, 4 or 5 speed is irrelevant to what clutch size or release collar you want to use. The collar is mated to the pressure plate and not the transmission and have no connection what ever to each other.

30 minutes ago, wayno said:

That 4wd 5spd may not have a speedo drive in it unless someone put a 2wd 5spd in it as a replacement when their 4wd transmission failed.

Throw out bearing collars are determined by what flywheel/clutch cover you have, the 1980 likely has a 6 bolt 225mm flywheel/clutch cover/disc, a 200mm flywheel is likely 5 bolt and will not bolt onto a 1980 engine.

I'm going to use gps speedometer, phone.  I've got an l16 engine i want to use the 5 speed behind it.

OH600 was used with the 200mm and 240mm, flywheel, N1600 also used with both 200 and 225mm, at least that's what i take away from that measurement guide of collars with part numbers. I just need to find the right kit that uses one of these collars.  

20 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

5 bolt flywheels are L16 and L18 all others are 6 bolt.

The clutch diameter depends on the pressure plate mounting bolt holes on the flywheel surface.

5 bolt crank L16 use 200mm

5 bolt crank L18s almost always use a 200mm but there is one exception that uses a 225mm.

All 6 bolt crank flywheels below will interchange.

6 bolt crank L20Bs and Z20s cars use a 200mm

6 bolt crank L20B and Z22s in trucks use a 225mm

6 bolt crank Z22 in cars use a 225mm

6 bolt crank Z20 and Z24 trucks use a 240mm

6 bolt crank KA24s in cars are 225mm

6 bolt crank KA24s in trucks are 240mm

N1600 is for a 225mm pressure plate. You sure it isn't N1601??? that for a 521/510 and '73 L16 200mm pressure plate.

0H600 is for a 240mm KA in a 240sx or D21

3, 4 or 5 speed is irrelevant to what clutch size or release collar you want to use. The collar is mated to the pressure plate and not the transmission and have no connection what ever to each other.

I'm basing my part numbers on the measurements of the collars. Can a 200mm pressure plate for a 6 bolt flywheel work on a 5 bolt 200mm flywheel? If so, i should be able to match it to a clutch kit for a specific car and use it.  

200mm is 200mm and only the diameter. They will bolt to a 5 or 6 bolt crank flywheel. However an L20B 200mm probably will need the release collar for it and not the 200mm for an L16. There are obvious differences in 200mm pressure plates.

I can't find 30501-0H600 used on anything but the '95 and up 240sx and Hardbody and the '99-2000 Xterra All with KA engines. I've seen that chart for the 200mm applications 8'73 to 5'79 and it would have to be for an L18 or L20B car. Nothing else used a 200mm PP. I even checked the Z car and 810 (all 225mm) and the B-210. I have to conclude that it was an mistake.

The 50301-N1600 uses from 7'81..... there were no 200mmpressure plates used from this year on, the engines were too big for them. The '80-'81- 200sx (Z20) and the A10 Z20 were the last. The N1600 was used only on the 225mm PPs.

If you can find a year and application of a 0H600 or an N1600 being used on a 200mm PP by all means be my guest.

• 1 month later...

Bought the 73 advance Auto(carquest) clutch kit because it shows a collar included, it wasn't. The OH600 came out of a 78 l20 motor home with 225 clutch. Looking over rock auto, 610, 710, 80 200sx all have the same clutch kit and a 78 truck throwout bearing and collar is interchangeable with them as well. I bought luks clutch kit for the 610, same one as 710, 80, 200sx. Came with collar, but I bought the 78 throw out bearing and collar to see if the same, they are and they match the OH600 collar. From what I can tell, the only thing you have to worry about is the pressure plate height, 35mm vs 45mm and the matching collar, long or short, respectively. 

Side note, most of these collars are being used today in at, ka, rb, etc.. only varying length for different pressure plates.

• 3 months later...

I tried posting back to this, but had to make an account and now maybe my first post will never approve, so I am gonna try again.

This thread is so close to answering a question I have, but I don't think covered it.  I am swapping an l16 for an l20b into my 72 521.  I got a 200 mm flywheel and ordered a replacement clutch that was the same as the truck had in it before.  I then noticed that the crankshaft for the l20b sticks further into the bell housing than then l16.  I think for the clutch to work, I will need a shorter throw out bearing collar.  That said, I don't know which one to get to replace the one that came in the truck.  This is prolly covered somewhere, but I can't find it.  If there is a thread somewhere that covers this, please just direct me to that..
1.  When swapping with an l20b and keeping the same clutch, which throw out collar do you use (bonus points if someone has a part number or link)

2.  Is there anything else I need to change besides the throw out bearing collar?  Will the old fork work with a shorter collar or do I need a new one of those too?  Do I need a different slave cylinder or master cylinder?  

After reading the above, I measure and I have the 45 mm pressure plate.  I have been stopped on this part for awhile, anyone that can advise this accurately would be very appreciated.  

You can't put a 5 bolt L16 flywheel on a 6 bolt L20B anyway. You'll need a 6 bolt flywheel for it. I've never heard about L20B crankshafts sitting father back than than the L16/18. An L20B with a 200mm 6 bolt L20B flywheel will sit in the same position as the L16 200mm flywheel. I put a car L20B with a 200mm PP into my 521 using the L16 release collar and everything was fine.

The L20B came with flywheels drilled to take a 200mm (car) or a 225mm, (truck) diameter clutch and pressure plate. So you can't run a 225mm clutch on a 200mm flywheel. So if you plan to re-use the L16's 200mm clutch and PP you'll need a 6 bolt L20B flywheel that fits a 200mm PP. If using on a heavier truck I would suggest finding a 225mm flywheel from a '75-'79 620 truck and buying a new clutch and PP including the correct release collar for it.

225mm flywheel...

Clutch disc*......................... 30100-Y6800 about $60 at the dealer

Pressure plate*................... 30210-Y0100 about $140 at the dealer. This has 550Kg or 1,210 pounds of clamping force.**

Release collar*.................... 30501-N1600 about $20

Release bearing.................. 30502-2100 about $35 at the dealer.... I wouldn't go below $20 for a cheap one. It's a lot of bother to replace later if it wears out too soon.

* There are after market clutch kits that include everything (collar and bearing) in a matching set. Exedy comes to mind.

** All the 200mm PP are rated between 350 and 450KG clamping pressure with the exception of the Datsun Roadster PP at 650Kg but I don't think they are available from the dealers now. The L16 PP in the early 620 was only 350Kg so I doubt the 521 was any higher.

So....

I found out about the whole flywheel situation when I removed the l16 and saw the flywheel for it only had 5 bolts.  I measured it and tracked down a 200 mm, 6 bolt flywheel.  Same as I removed, only with the extra bolt.  Then I tracked down a matching set of bolts to hold it in.  So the L16 flywheel was 200mm.  Now I have a 6 bolt, 200mm flywheel.  I tried the old pressure plate on the new flywheel, and it fit.  So, I ordered a new clutch for a 521.  From Exedy.  The clutch kit from exedy came with a new disc, pressure plate, throw out bearing, pilot bushing and a packet of super fancy exedy lube.  (Exedy didn't include the collar  I am good with running the 6 bolt 200mm flywheel.  I don't really plan on hauling anything significant or pulling anything at all.

I just went in my garage right now and measured the l16 and the l20b from the metal plate on the back of the engine to the end of the mounting point for the flywheel.  On the L20b, it is 7/8 of an inch.  On the L16 it is half inch.  I haven't attached both flywheels to measure when they are on, but it stands to reason (to me) that given that measurement, and given the flywheels are both the same thickness, and the pressure plates are the same size that once together, the l20b will go almost a half inch further into the bell housing than the L16 did.  If this is true, that space issue could be solved by a shorter collar.  But than my original questions, if I replace the collar, what else do I need to replace to match the different collar?

I am not sure how to post pictures here, but I am sure I can figure it out if it is helpful?

Good to know. If the flywheel on the L20B was to end up almost 1/2" deeper into the transmission the starter wouldn't work. many people have put L20Bs in place of L16s (as in the 510 and the 521) and kept the original 4 speed and there is no problem. Some have put later 4 and 6 cylinder 5 speeds on the L16 and no problems.

The L20B flywheel may be thinner around the 6 bolts.

There should be an 'engine plate' between the block and the transmission. It's about 1/8" thick

Was the L20B originally an automatic? This is important because the automatic has a cap over the end of the crankshaft that centers the torque converter that needs to be pried off.

• Like 1

Good point about the starter, I hadn't considered that, I was focused on how the clutch was going to work.

The flywheels seems almost exactly the same, excepting of course for the extra bolt hole in the l20b flywheel.  I did look at the l16 flywheel is a tiny bit thinner than the 120b where it bolts up.  

I don't know what the l20b I have was out of.  I assume a truck because the oil pan looks the same as the l16 I removed.  But if it was standard or automatic, I don't know.  I didn't know to ask because I didn't know it would make a difference.  However, if it was an automatic and I need to pry something off, that would explain pretty much everything I think.

I wouldn't know what to call the cap that might need to be pried off, so I am not having a lot of luck searching.  Is there a picture of one somewhere?  Or what would I call it?  Any tips on prying it off without hurting anything would be awesome too.  Also, THANK YOU for the information so far.  It sounds like I might already have everything I need to get back to work. 😄 👍

Is this a stock clutch you have? stock 510 or 521 you ordered??  stock 350KG   great for daily driver ez to push in and the slave/master  cylinder will last forever

I would get the exedy Roadster clutch kit as its stronger Its not a true Nissan Roadster as its 600 KG instead of the 650KG

https://www.datsunparts.com/Clutch   NSC581  is a 200mm and a substitute for the stock 200mm pressure plate

use the stock 521 T/O sleeve

I use the stock slave treaded rod and ball on the slave cylinder(stock clutch fork)

Edited by banzai510(hainz)

I found about about this after I already ordered a replacement for the 521 from exedy.  I looked for a stage 2, but they don't have it for an l-series, that I saw anyways.  But no big, I am really just wanting a driver.  I do a lot of driving and I thought....Wouldnt it be rad if I dumped the hondas and mazdas and went back to a datsun?  So, that's what I am doing.  I am kinda thinking, when I have it running and driving, I might start shopping for a second L series to rebuild and put on a shelf for when this current one takes a crap.  Unless it gets hit or stolen, I plan on this being what I drive for a long time.  

So I will remember about the roadster clutch, down the road, I will try it out.