Orange Whip - '78 620

demo243

On 9/9/2020 at 8:01 PM, demo243 said:

Another thought...  Sway Bars?

Saw a post on Facebook about someone installing some Addcos... then saw that FutoFab makes them... There is definitely some good roll to this truck in the corners, but that is part of the fun I guess... 

Wheels are turning and I am thinking about maybe adding a pair.

I put the futofab front bar on my truck... but I had to because my bar and brackets got trashed.....It definitely helps. I'm thinking about the rear as well

It looks cool tho.

• Like 1
  • Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, FrankRizzo said:

I put the futofab front bar on my truck... but I had to because my bar and brackets got trashed.....It definitely helps. I'm thinking about the rear as well

It looks cool tho.

I Was going to this fall but but a couple other things got in the way $ wise... probably in the spring- I think it would help drive a bility a lot... there is a lot of roll in the turns.

• 1 month later...

Not much to update... We are in late fall earlier winter here in the Northeast so its getting cold... had a big snow over halloween, but was able to get the truck out again the other week. Was fun to get it out there, but looks like one of my fuel lines is going bad as I had a good weep from the tank--- thinking on it now it could be that the hose used is not up to the pressure/pull from the fuel pump... 

Took advantage of FutoFab's Cyber Monday and picked up a set of sway bars! Excited for them... but we'll see when I get them on.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

First real warm spring day yesterday! Was able to steal out to the garage for a few minutes in the afternoon to pull the truck out. 

51023628222_123bffbba7_b.jpg

Didnt have time to do much... but tightened down the fuel line off the tank where it was leaking last time I drove it. Hoping thats all it was...

Weekend looks like it might be "warm enough" so Ill try and get out to install the swaybars. 

Just need one more good rain to wash all the salt off and then Ill take them out on the road. The 510 is still in hibernation... little bit longer till that comes out. 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, demo243 said:

Anyone happen to know the hardware size for the stock 620 sway mounts up front?

The FutoFab bar says to re-use the hardware... but my truck doesnt have a sway on it. Havent crawled under there yet to figure it out...

Sure do as I was fighting a broken bolt for this yesterday. It’s M10x1.25

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Started working on the rear sway this afternoon... but hit a snag... it seems as if the bar is a touch too wide. It essentially sits on top of the axle u-bolts and looks like it will hit the bump stops and potentially the frame on full compression.  I shot Dave a note with some photos to see what he says. I can potentially notch the bump stops which solves that problem but still looks like it could hit the frame on a really hard bump.  

51056122228_fa88a9b428_b.jpg

51056122183_b9329262e4_b.jpg

51056122168_576496a093_b.jpg

I also thought about the possibility of flipping the bar so it points backwards... but that wont solve that issue... just might make it slightly easier to install. Over all seems like it could have been positioned better--- or made a little bit narrower with a bit more flare at the ends to catch the frame.

Anyone have any experience with this bar? 

Hoping to button it up tomorrow--- which means drilling the frame...

Went ahead and just bolted the rear bar up. Posted it up on Facebook and a few people showed that they ran the bar reverse (extended out to the back of the frame)... thought about it for a few minutes, but decided I liked the cleaner look of it pointed forwards better--- and I didnt want to take the u-bolts off again... So I threw the axle on jackstands, pulled the wheels and jacked the truck up by the frame to get some more room between the frame and the leafs. Was able to just squeeze the drill in there and get the holes drilled. 

All back together

51060326031_95511e542d_b.jpg

Then I got to work on the front. Without a sway there already I was guessing a bit... but figured it had to go over the tie rods. Got it into place and then found out the end links were too short... gggrrrrr... 

51060326001_4edf4411f8_b.jpg

In Dave's defense he does have it listed as up to '77 I believe... Post this on facebook as well and a couple people mentioned that the '78-79 trucks had longer endlinks... tired the local hardware store, but the longest bolt they had was 6" which is what was supplied- I need a 7-8" bolt to clear...  A quick ebay search pulled up the "proper" endlinks for only $18 so I ordered a set of those. We'll see if that works when they get here....

Pretty bummed I didnt get to drive it this weekend...  As I feel with most Datsun aftermarket parts... I wish it all just worked.... 

• Like 3
17 hours ago, 5t341tH said:

I want to get the rear bar as well but I’m concerned with having the same problem too

Unfortunately pretty much all the photos I saw that people posted on facebook look the same- either with the bar facing forward or reverse. Time will tell if its an issue. 

Still waiting for my endlinks to do the front so cant drive the truck yet to see how it is. 

Got my front sway sorted out. 

In my rush to get something ordered I ended up ordering an endlink from ebay--- well I thought I ordered two... but only one arrived --- checked the order again and sure enough only one.

This time I got smart and checked O'Reilly first. Should have done that the first time... They had Moog endlinks available same day! Ordered a pair of those and picked them up this afternoon. 

51084935951_19be219d68_b.jpg

After that it was a pretty straightforward instal. I did end up trimming the sleeves down about 1.5cm... probably didnt need to go quite as short, but I just couldnt get enough compression on the endlink to get the nut threaded on. In the end the nuts are now bottomed out on the threads, but the bushing are bulged enough that I do not expect any issues. If it should loosen up later on Ill just add a few washers in there. 

51015752475_82c1925118_b.jpg

51000009989_b37af3fa4d_b.jpg

Took it for a quick spin around the block and the truck definitely stays flatter. Can't wait to test it out more. I really missed driving this truck over the winter. 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Did you really drive your Datsun if you didn't stop to take a photo?

51128184652_8169958b35_b.jpg

Took the truck out for a good cruise this evening. First one of the year. Sways definitely helped settle it down in the corners. Felt good to get out and cruise, missed driving this thing. 

Definitely want to work on the engine tune a bit this year... It runs really rich and STINKS! I know the O2 isnt hooked up cause it was causing it to stumble, and I think the IACV is having issues as well. Need to try and pull the codes through the ecu... could be an issue in the engine harness too, that was a bit hacked up. 

Edited by demo243
  • Like 5
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I guess it’s been a year since I post here as well!

Really haven’t done anything to the truck. Driven it a few times, took it to a local Wednesday night show… but other then that just pushed it in and out of the garage…

It’s picked up a small fuel leak somewhere, but seems it need higher pressures to show up… so I need to run it around again to track it down. Battery isn’t happy either, but that could just be from sitting, need to double check the ground too…

Been thinking about letting this one go recently. Really want to get another 510… and don’t have room for three. I think the smart thing to do would be to find a 510 and then sell this, but I’ve been kinda motivated to sell it first recently so I pushed it out and washed it up and gave it a quick wax. Maybe I’ll post it up… we’ll see.

52357979216_b0c2622cc2_b.jpg

52358214393_35f758d14e_b.jpg

52358400725_3d4b14987c_b.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...