Orange Whip - '78 620

demo243

Not much to update... 

Just been driving the truck --- A lot --- with all this Covid stuff all my trips are pretty local, and it much more fun to drive this then my Tacoma.

49874391671_6baf0a848a_b.jpg

49873860858_48f5c71670_b.jpg

Been thinking about a 29er for my next bike... but I dont think it'll fit!

49869103637_6e72e44283_b.jpg

Also thinking about some black stripes--- will probably order up some vinyl to try it... or maybe plastidip... we'll see been thinking about the same thing on the 510 for a while now and still havent done it... so we'll see...

49869103732_e4ce3e728a_b.jpg

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
  • Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Happy 620 day!!! 

Was hot out... but still took her for a nice 30 mile backroad cruise.

50027152547_030b4b035d_b.jpg

50026888961_198b7d4c27_b.jpg

50026351588_fc6e14b2bc_b.jpg

hopefully fixed my battery drain issue as well... was stupidly missing a ground for the alternator and rewired the two wires out of the plug. Dropped the charge volts down a little bit which is a good thing. Letting it sit now to see.

• Like 1

Well that’s a negative ghost rider...

still have a battery drain....

went through on the truck a little while back and pulled all the fuses and none of them changed the test light on the negative battery cable ... 

back to the drawing board

only thing left is to try and put a resistor on the dummy light wire and see if that helps... since there is no dummy light

Edited by demo243
  • Like 1
11 hours ago, demo243 said:

Well that’s a negative ghost rider...

still have a battery drain....

went through on the truck a little while back and pulled all the fuses and none of them changed the test light on the negative battery cable ... 

back to the drawing board

only thing left is to try and put a resistor on the dummy light wire and see if that helps... since there is no dummy light

We need to get together and terrorize the roads with our trucks.....

I have an idea to try, get someone to remove the battery terminal while you listen for a clicking sound.... wondering if you have a relay of something powered up that doesnt need to be....

When I upgraded to an internally regulated altenator i didn't bypass the choke relay... every time i reconnected the battery I'd hear a click.. found the relay and unplugged it.... 

How are you actually testing for a draw?

Test light?

Shouldnt it be an ohmmeter inline on the negative?

45 minutes ago, Crashtd420 said:

We need to get together and terrorize the roads with our trucks.....

I have an idea to try, get someone to remove the battery terminal while you listen for a clicking sound.... wondering if you have a relay of something powered up that doesnt need to be....

When I upgraded to an internally regulated altenator i didn't bypass the choke relay... every time i reconnected the battery I'd hear a click.. found the relay and unplugged it.... 

How are you actually testing for a draw?

Test light?

Shouldnt it be an ohmmeter inline on the negative?

We do!

I was using a test light in the negative bat. cable. 

Battery is  behind the seat so I should be able to do that myself. Ill give it try this morning.

1 hour ago, demo243 said:

We do!

I was using a test light in the negative bat. cable. 

Battery is  behind the seat so I should be able to do that myself. Ill give it try this morning.

I guess that test light way works, just never heard of doing it it like that....

My brain couldnt grasp why the light would illuminate on just the negative...

Had a little more coffee and I get it now....

1 hour ago, Crashtd420 said:

I guess that test light way works, just never heard of doing it it like that....

My brain couldnt grasp why the light would illuminate on just the negative...

Had a little more coffee and I get it now....

so update

i did what you said and undid the negative cable and on touching it against the the terminal I could hear a relay click. 

traced it back to my headlight relays and moved them to a different fuse. Which solved that. But upon installing the test light there is still a draw.

went and did the same thing on the 510 which also has a drain issue... no click so not the relays on the 510. Since I rewired both alternators the same way yesterday I figured I’d play around on the 510 a bit since there is easier access to the alt with out the stock KA intake. 

On the 510 when I undo the alt completely the test lights goes out. When I put either or both of the two wires coming from the plug on the positive lead at the alt the test right comes back on.

gonna go try it on the truck and see if it’s the same.

Truck has the same set up - 

Test light in place of the negative battery cable. Alt. Grounded and main battery cable to alt stud --- no light 

Add in either or both of the two wires coming off the plug and now the light comes on. 

Put the battery cable back on and fired it up without the 2 wire plug attached. Starts fine, runs fine, Volt gauge sits at 12-12.5 until you give it a rev, then it jumps up to 14 and sits there. 

Pulled this from Zilvia- Sounds like I need a bulb or resistor on the white/red wire

_________

"
The small yellow wire is used to regulate the alternator output. It receives battery operating voltage through a 7.5 amp fuse in the engine bay fusebox. In laymans terms, it sends a battery voltage signal to the alternator so it can vary output and produce a nice, steady current regardless of speed or load.

The small white/red wire runs to the charge indicator bulb in the gauge cluster. This wire and it's operation is VERY important because it carries the power necessary to bring the alternator to life.

In a fully functional system, when you turn the key on, the fusebox in the left kick panel comes to life. A 7.5amp fuse in there sends 12v straight to the charge indicator bulb. The other side of the bulb is that small white/red wire running to the alternator. The alternator field circuit grounds that wire and, of course, the bulb lights up. Once the alternator is spinning fast enough, it'll produce your car's operating voltage. The voltage will now be equal on both sides (or 'legs') of the charge indicator bulb. Current cannot flow with equal voltage. The charge light will extinguish. You'll know the system is working correctly.

If your charge indicator light doesn't illuminate when you turn the key on, you've already narrowed down the problem. That 7.5amp fuse is blown, the charge indicator bulb is blown out, the gauge cluster is disconnected, the alternator field circuit is faulty and isn't grounding the bulb, or you have a broken wire in the charge indicator circuit."

_________

• Like 1

So wrong thread since these photos are of the 510... but they play into the truck.

Got my multimeter working so played around a bit more. 

with the plug as shown - red wire tied back into the main + and the white and red to nothing there is 0 draw. Tap the white and red to the + and there is 3.8... use the plugs with just the red wire (white and red completely removed) and there is 3.8...

50030884951_552c1194ef_b.jpg

50031146537_a175c32d38_b.jpg

white and red grounded out through a test light and it shows 0 as well. Touch it back to the + after the test light and the bulb lights up and draws 4.

doesnt seem right but I guess if I just tape off the white/red I should be ok

still sits at 12v until it’s reved then it bumps up to 14. Gonna try it like this and see...

Edited by demo243
  • Like 1

Well whatever I did worked--- went out side and started the truck this morning for the first time after leaving the battery connected all night. Looks like there was still a bit of drop in voltage... but there was plenty to fire it off. Ill check again this afternoon. 

Makes no sense to me... because essentially it is wired up the same as I had it before... the only difference is instead of having on one wire coming out of the plug there are now two, but the second wire is a dead end to nothing... 

New rubber for the truck today! 

Went back and forth on 205 vs 195.... ultimately decided to go 195... probably should have gone 205... these are a little smaller then I hoped... but should help with the rubbing on right hand turns... oh well... Looks like maybe I can drop the front another 1/4-1/2 inch... although then I might be literally riding on the bumps... 

50044463832_273ca2ac0b_b.jpg

Gotta hit the wheel weights, and spots from the old weights with a quick hit of black to hide them

50043613663_42db67089d_b.jpg

50044175336_8f19a7293d_b.jpg

Wanted something with a M/S rating to keep the sidewall a bit more aggressive - don't need an AT by any means, but do like to see a bit of tread on a truck

50044432472_1403829297_b.jpg

Handling and everything already feels better so I guess the smaller tire isnt terrible... Feel much better now that I dont have old cracked ones on the front. 

Edited by demo243
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Not much to update- just driving it around...

Big truck - Little truck

50246148272_48b4ddf157_b.jpg

Quick Home Depot run

50245939021_34ef20fa04_b.jpg

Dat-Ass

50265694102_0c586f23b5_b.jpg

Oh - I guess some exciting news—

The has a garage spot for the winter! Requires totally reworking my garage set up... but it fits in there!

50245299778_88fcbddf7d_b.jpg

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Posted this in the 510 thread... but applicable here too...

So not much to update on the datto front... but making some big progress on the garage!

So I have posted a few photos before... but essentially this is what I started with--- there used to be parts under the bench on the right and a bakers rack with parts behind the car too--- but those have been moved to the basement of the house for now... probably forever. Anyway, it was very functional, with a killer size work bench, but the whole place was filthy... probably 100 years or dirt... and felt really small with the 510 in there. Then I got the 620 and the poor thing was stuck outside in the snow all winter and I would rather not do that again. Plan was to tear it down and build a bigger one... but with Covid, pulling permits, demo costs, the kid on the way, and all new windows in the house; well the garage got back burnered.... So time to do what I can to make it functional for now --- anyway again here is where I started...

50306597967_655be83d2f_b.jpg

I got to work and tore everything out---

50306597902_031ae370ae_b.jpg

Then got to work painting the inside white to help reflect light and fell cleaner

50306446826_81632b6af6_b.jpg

Painted-- had to move everything back in to close it up... You can tell there was a ton of old dust as it bleed through the paint even after shop vac'ing every wall.

50305759423_e130cd65db_b.jpg

Shuffled things around and stuffed the 510 back in the corner. 

50305759518_9d4f37147d_b.jpg

Test fit again to fit both the 510 and the truck in there--- Its TIGHT... but doable... mostly to get the truck out of the rain and snow... but also to open up the garage... 

50306446821_88ec0cb88c_b.jpg

The MOST IMPORTANT UPDATE! The Datsun Racing Banner!

50305759398_97b63226f0_b.jpg

Then I got to work building a bench in the back left corner--- had to run some new power to move the outlet, and got some additional lights, but that was easy... Its the smallest bench I have had in a while... but not too bad... 

50305759413_f49f93b4c8_b.jpg

As I left it off for the night--- 

50306446911_e840d6f9d9_b.jpg

Up next is to add some more shelves--- a bunch of 6-12" shelves up high --- a big 20-24" shelf above the trunk of the 510 and maybe another above the car itself. Then planning on adding a ~20" shelf/bench on the left side above the 620 bed for the drill press and grinding wheel, usable when the truck isnt in there, but able to get the truck bed underneath it... 

More to come!

Edited by demo243
  • Like 4

Hey I am a mountain biker looking to get a 620 as well, if you hang the front wheel of the bike over the tailgate like a typical pickup, does it drag on the ground? Obviously it is lower to the ground than a "regular" pickup but i was just wondering if it is even close. I have a 130mm 29er if that gives you any reference.

2 hours ago, MTBiker_Boy said:

Hey I am a mountain biker looking to get a 620 as well, if you hang the front wheel of the bike over the tailgate like a typical pickup, does it drag on the ground? Obviously it is lower to the ground than a "regular" pickup but i was just wondering if it is even close. I have a 130mm 29er if that gives you any reference.

Depends on how low you go— but I’d probably advise against it. Both cause the wheel is low and cause the tailgate isn’t very tall.  My wheel would definitely hit... these leafs are pretty soft

50321404976_2b3dcf19d8_b.jpg

50321404971_3be6e2f4d9_b.jpg

I’m dropped on 3” blocks in the rear. That’s a Large 27.5+ bike with a 130mm fork and a big 3.0 tire up front.

Ive never been a fan of carrying bikes over the tailgate either way... to much chance for it to get dinged up- and seen too many dented down tubes even with pads... just not a great way to carry bikes, but to each there own

Garage is about 90% there --- still some clean up to do, and Ill probably add a few more shelves... but with rain in the forecast tomorrow I stuffed the truck in there!

50324159012_de6cda47db_b.jpg

Enough room to get between them, and just enough room to access the tools and keep the bench usable. 

50323313413_6f73f2b7d9_b.jpg

And if I really need access to the drill press while the truck is in there... I guess I could just work from the truck bed hahaha

50323982146_b259f466b0_b.jpg

Another thought...  Sway Bars?

Saw a post on Facebook about someone installing some Addcos... then saw that FutoFab makes them... There is definitely some good roll to this truck in the corners, but that is part of the fun I guess... 

Wheels are turning and I am thinking about maybe adding a pair.

• Like 2

For the drill press, if you use a different table support method (shorter support, table legs, big damn bracket to replace current support? You could turn the press 90 degrees and use it from the work bench area.

2 hours ago, Lockleaf said:

For the drill press, if you use a different table support method (shorter support, table legs, big damn bracket to replace current support? You could turn the press 90 degrees and use it from the work bench area.

The hard part is I need to be able to get the truck bed underneath it, which doesnt leave much room for an under support. Im not super worried about it... I don't use it very often and its pretty easy to push the truck in an out --- alot easier then getting the 510 back in the other corner atleast...  The biggest thing I realized today, was I was thinking about picking up a 6 ton bench top press, which would have to go there, I think, so maybe I wont be bolting any of that stuff down... We'll see... 

• 1 month later...

Well I guess thats it... The end of Datsun Driving Season here in the northeast--- 4" of snow in Mass today... and the salt truck definitely drove by!  

50547727058_530a7c918b_c.jpgUntitled by D M, on Flickr

Hopefully I am wrong, and we get a good couple days of rain to wash the salt off and I can sneak a few more days in.

• Like 1